The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 21, 2011, 08:15 AM   #1
toad13

Powder part # question

I'm a newbie so bear with me here . I purchased a pound of Accurate 4350 for my start into hand loading . On the Lee VMD chart the only # I see that matches in the Accurate powder section A-XMR -4350 . The same thing in the Modern Reloading book by Richard Lee . I use the reload manual for 7 mm Rem. Mag. from loadbooks as a cross refference . In this book I also see a powder listed as AA 4350 in the Hornady bullets section . In the Sierria section it is listed as XMR -4350 . On the container I have and Accurate's web site it does not list the XMR # . I loaded 4 rounds of 7mm at 55.5 grains with a 150 grain bullet . They made a nice shot group at 40 yards . I see that Hodgdon and IMR also have a 4350 powder listed . I just don't want to flub up and make a bad batch of rounds . Any help from someone that knows more about powder than I do would be a big help. Thanks , Toad .
Old April 21, 2011, 08:45 AM   #2
SL1

Accurate has marketed their version of the 4350 powder under various names, including and excluding the "XMR" part of the name, but they are essentially the same powder. As long as the 4350 powder is sold by the Accurate Powder company, you can use their data for their 4350 powder. Two similar powders are now sold by the Hodgdon Powder company (H-4350 and IMR-4350). While the data for all three powders are similar, they do have somewhat different data, and should be treated as different powders.

But, for that matter, even two cans of a "4350" powder from the same company should be treated as potentially different if they have different manufacturing lot numbers. The variations of powder lots can be as significant as the differences between similar, competing powders from different manufacturers, in some circumstances. So, even when just changing powder lots, you should drop the charge weight back about 5% and check for pressure signs as you work-up to your favorite load with several rounds.

SL1