The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 19, 2016, 08:24 PM   #1
Bravo1

Dillon Super Swage 600 is a dangerous weapon?

So apparently TSA feels that a new-in-the-box Dillon Super Swage 600 is considered a dangerous weapon and needs to be checked in.

Unfortunately this $100 tool just cost me $125.

Should have just ordered it from Dillon directly and had them ship it to me instead of picking it up at a Scheels on my travels. Grrr!!!
Old October 19, 2016, 10:35 PM   #2
jmorris

If you can't cook frys in the food court you work for TSA and if you don't know what you are looking at, it's dangerous.
Old October 20, 2016, 03:26 AM   #3
JeepHammer

TSA let the moron in front of me board with a 'Smokeless' gadget that had a battery the size of my fist and never bothered to look inside the thing,
While I donated a AA mag light because it had batteries...

I have replacment joints, huge scars from surgeries, my VA card, letters from doctors, ect.
I set the metal detector off every time, so I get the wand.
Its not good enough they can see bare skin with a huge scar, they have to do the down to your underware thing, wand bare skin, get a supervisor, jack around until I'm completely overheating and pull out the drill instructor voice,
Then after about 45 minutes I get loud, suddenly I'm the disruptive one...

I was carrying 125 4"x6" printed pictures, and the idiot actually told me I was over the limit on pictures!
I asked her what the 'Limit' on pictures was?
Dumbfounded look on her face, then radios in that I'm 'Disruptive' and need further screening...

I've got to where I simply start dropping cloths as soon as the metal detector goes off, that ALWAYS gets things going!
I have no issues what so ever dropping trousers right there (since I wear boxers) just to see the look on their faces!

My carry on luggage passed recently, with an 'Ammo Wallet' with 6 rounds dropped into a boot, passed X-ray the first pass, while I got stripped down to boxer shorts because I set the metal detector off...
Real bright bunch!
Old October 20, 2016, 09:19 AM   #4
Chainsaw.

TSA hires some of the absolute biggest morons they can and said morons puff their chests out weilding that power to annoy. My wife used to be a federal agent, she carried a gun everywhere including on the plane very often. She was/is a lottle sloppy with her ammo, she would chuck mags into bags and a round our two might strip off in the bag. One day we were flying to mexico with said bag sans gun, three 9mm rounds were in her back pack. 20 minutes later, my wifes badge being pulled out and an endless lecture from an old women who clearly had an alcohol problem and finally throwing away the three offending rounds and we were free to go. Later that day at the hotel I found the 4" pocket knife in my carry on I had forgotten.

These people are clearly here simply to annoy us. This is what happens when the government says "we will keep you safe".

Jeephammer, your sig line should read "I set off metal detectors" Nice to see you have learned to play their game.
Old October 20, 2016, 09:28 AM   #5
ammo.crafter

TSA

Ever wonder what the qualifications are to become a TSA agent?
Old October 20, 2016, 09:44 AM   #6
jmorris

Quote:
These people are clearly here simply to annoy us.
That is not their intent, that is to give people the illusion that they are safe, annoying us is just a byproduct.

Quote:
Ever wonder what the qualifications are to become a TSA agent?
Quote:
Must be a United States citizen
Must be at least 18 years old
Must possess a high school diploma
Must be able to pass a drug screening and medical evaluation
Pass a background investigation, which includes a credit check and a criminal check

http://www.federallawenforcement.org/tsa/
Old October 20, 2016, 09:57 AM   #7
g.willikers

While I mostly avoid flying anywhere these days, when I have had to, the TSA folks seemed civilized.
Or maybe they were just bored and inattentive.
Old October 20, 2016, 10:10 AM   #8
TailGator

I have had mixed experiences with TSA, sometimes helpful, other times unreasonable. Like many bureaucrats, many seem more dedicated to the letter of their rules than to applying rules with the intent of finding and negating real threats.

My daughter likes to tell of traveling to Europe, going through airports in Orlando, NY, and Frankfurt, all with a key chain sized pepper spray dangling from the outside of her pack in plain view. On the way back, they confiscated her Tide pen from inside her purse.
Old October 20, 2016, 11:00 AM   #9
Chainsaw.

Of that reminds me of tsa trying to confiscate my Dads eppi pen.
Old October 20, 2016, 11:37 AM   #10
Carriertxv

As much as I'm missing out I have stopped commercial flying for the last 6 years. It's just not worth me getting wound up and getting the strip search and bull crap that this has become.
With IQ,s and shoe sizes being the same with a great many of TSA idiots my wife and I have gone back to driving where we want to go. We have found that the places that we want to go now are much closer and have had a much better time doing it.
Old October 20, 2016, 11:55 AM   #11
F. Guffey

Quote:
'Disruptive' and need further screening...
I flew down to New Orleans, LA on my way to Dulac, LA. I was going to drive back so I placed my firearm in my check-in Luggage. I thought I had convinced my wife I knew what I was going and it was OK. She did not want me to get into trouble so she called the airport. They informed me she called, and then we got down to business, they tagged my suit case with a large red tag. And then it almost became a disaster, seems thieves can read but they had no ideal who was picking me up.

And then there was that time at Newark International airport, three passengers ahead of me were from India, they were asked to remove their shoes, out of symphony I removed my shoes also. When my shoes were examined they wanted to know what the little 'O's were that were embedded into my soles. I told them I used the little O rings for knobbies when I need grip and traction in snow and ice. To anyone else the little O's looked like primers that had worn the top off.

F. Guffey

Last edited by F. Guffey; October 20, 2016 at 02:17 PM. Reason: change in to on and then chnge I to O
Old October 20, 2016, 04:55 PM   #12
JeepHammer

Guffy! That's FUNNY!
If you would have said 'Rifle Primers' you would have got a 72 hour hold...

I'm always on the plane behind who I'm travling with,
Takes SO long to get an artificial joint through screening you ALWAYS miss your intended flight...

About a year ago, it was me & a 4 year old boy...
He had a metal plate in his chest from open heart surgery, I had an ankle, back full of metal, two replacment knees and one hip,
Took him 3 hours and a strip search, took me 4-1/2 hours and a strip search to be cleared for boarding...

Me & the kid had a good time making fun of the idiots sitting there on the 'Group W Bench' in our underware!
(You will have to be a certain age to get 'Group W Bench')

His mother was frantic, then bewildered when the kid came out singing 'Alice's Restaurant' word for word!
Just my contribution to the next generation...
Old October 20, 2016, 10:05 PM   #13
egd

My saying is, when you give a small amount of power to a small mind you end up with big trouble.
Old October 20, 2016, 11:33 PM   #14
Old Bill Dibble

Ah a good ole dumping on TSA thread. They sure make it easy. It really depends upon the airport. Nashville, Huntsville, National, most places they seem ok, nice and professional considering their life is searching peoples stuff every day. Others... Philly, Baltimore Rude, arrogant, difficult, muddled, confused and confusing.
"Tragedy has been and will always be with us. Somewhere right now, evil people are planning evil things. All of us will do everything meaningful, everything we can do to prevent it, but each horrible act can’t become an axe for opportunists to cleave the very Bill of Rights that binds us."
Old October 21, 2016, 07:50 AM   #15
F. Guffey

Quote:
His mother was frantic, then bewildered when the kid came out singing 'Alice's Restaurant' word for word!
Just my contribution to the next generation...
That kid has a lot going for him, that song is at least 6 minutes long. And then there is Woody Guthrie, At my first opportunity I purchased every song Woody ever recorded.

F. Guffey
Old October 22, 2016, 02:48 AM   #16
Wrangler5

The TSA is engaged in Security Theater, nothing else. That's by design - when you have bottom of the barrel hires and rules of engagement that are written primarily to insure nobody can sue you for anything, there's nothing left to do but pretend to be doing something.