The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 13, 2016, 09:49 PM   #1
solano2482

Will getting a new barrel affect my current loads?

Hi, I am looking to get a new match krieger barrel at some point, for my savage 10 in 308 win. I probably have less than 1000 rounds down the tube at this point. I was wondering if the specs will change once I have the barrel replaced? Will the head space, and COAL be the same? Or do I need to work up all new load data?
Old October 13, 2016, 10:09 PM   #2
Stats Shooter

It depends. The short answer is yes. Especially if your current bullet is pushed right up to the lands. If your cartridge is all within SAMMI, it should fire fine in a new barrel/chamber but may be more/less accurate. Oh and if you neck sized the brass you need to either shoot it all before replacing the barrel, or you'll have to probably pull bullets and re-size the brass full length.
Old October 13, 2016, 11:33 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

Anything with the word "Match" in it comes with the expectation it is made to some very tight specs.

Depending on exactly how you make your loads now, they may not even FIT in a "match" chamber.

New barrel is essentially a new (different) gun. Expect to work up your loads just as you would for a different rifle. Your current loads may be a suitable starting point, or may not be. You won't know until you get the other barrel installed.

Good Luck!
Old October 13, 2016, 11:37 PM   #4
solano2482

Thanks for the heads up. I had a feeling about that. I wonder if they can install the barrel to the same exact specs as the one I have on currently...
Old October 14, 2016, 04:12 AM   #5
jwrowland77

You get a new match barrel, you'll have to start all over again with your load. New barrel = new load. I just had to redo my .308 load since I put on a new barrel.

First off, the throat was much shorter. Secondly, I had to bump the shoulders back on brand new factory brass, my chamber is so tight. Lastly, you'll have different barrel harmonics so your load now wouldn't give you the same in the new barrel as the old barrel.

Enjoy! I love my new barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old October 14, 2016, 12:03 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I wonder if they can install the barrel to the same exact specs as the one I have on currently...
NO. Not EXACTLY. First off, the one you have on now is used, "worn in" to some degree by the rounds already fired. EXACTLY matching it would require painstaking effort, AND the original barrel to measure from.

What you will have with a new barrel (properly) installed, is a new barrel, headspaced to pass the GO gage, and not pass the NO GO and Field gages. Beyond that, how closely it matches the precise dimensions of your old barrel is a matter of serendipity. It will pass SAAMI specs, everything else is a matter of luck of the draw.

Unless the barrel is used in rapid fire, .308s usually go a good 3-5K rounds before the accuracy of the barrel starts to seriously fall off. Some go a good bit more than that.

When a barrel is "shot out" is a matter of your judgment, and requirements. If you need sub MOA, a barrel that is worn to the point it only gives 1.5MOA is due for replacement. A barrel that gives 1.5MOA is still a good barrel if you need "minute of deer", and doesn't need replacement. So, what are your needs?

Also, be aware that even the finest replacement barrels may not shoot as well as the original. Not highly likely but it does happen. The main point to having to work up new loads for the new barrel (besides basic safety) is to get it to shoot as good as, or better than the original. Usually possible, but not always.
Old October 14, 2016, 12:30 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

New barrel means you have a new rifle. You get to work up a new load. Won't matter if the smithy can get it installed exactly the same as the existing barrel. It's a different barrel.
"...When a barrel is "shot out" is..." Relative. A hunting rifle doesn't need the same accuracy level as any target rifle.
You'd want to consider the price of a Kreiger too. .308 barrel blank starts at $325. Then you get to chose the length, number of grooves, contour, rifling twist, type of steel and a bunch of other options that really aren't designed to make to crazy. Then pay for finishing and installation.
A consistent 4" is good if you need "minute of deer".
Old October 14, 2016, 03:38 PM   #8
Reloadron

The loads have been well covered but as a side note to consider. When you find a smith to cut (ream) your chamber also you may want to have him quote making you a chamber gauge. The smith will ream the chamber and then using the same reamer cut you a true chamber gauge to your chamber. If you are going the "Match Barrel" and tight chambering route a good gauge being made at the time is worth the extra few bucks. Just something to think about.

Ron
Old October 14, 2016, 04:16 PM   #9
jmorris

Quote:
New barrel means you have a new rifle. You get to work up a new load. Won't matter if the smithy can get it installed exactly the same as the existing barrel. It's a different barrel.
That's pretty much it. If all loads worked the same out of every barrel we would all be using the same load.
Old October 14, 2016, 04:55 PM   #10
30Cal

Don't worry about the loads and the chamber. Let the smith work his magic and stay out of the way.