The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 28, 2016, 02:29 PM   #1
Machineguntony

Which station flares 308 neck on D1050?

It's been a while since I had to do maintenance on my Dillon 1050.

But today, as I was reloading my 308 dedicated 1050, the bullet dropper (Mr Bullet Feeder), would drop the bullet on the case mouth, but then as the round progressed to the next station, the newly dropped bullet would fall off the case mouth. This has never happened before. Usually the bullet drops and then the case just progresses to the seating station.

I'm guessing that the 308 case neck somehow lost its flare.

Which station creates the flare to as to help the bullet seat? I thought it was the powder charging station, but I've turned down the powder die, and this hasn't helped.

I would appreciate any input.
Old August 28, 2016, 02:39 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

Bottle necked rifle cartridges don't get a flare. They get chamfered and deburred after trimming. That replaces the flare used on straight walled pistol and rifle cases.
Old August 28, 2016, 02:44 PM   #3
jmorris

Rifle cases do not get flared or belled like pistol rounds do.

Unlike pistol calibers that have the expander built into a die that can bell or flare the mouth, rifle dies do not to this. Not only is it generally not necessary but it would also cause awful powder bridging problems too. So most dies incorporate the expander into the decapping stem for rifle cases.

So that would give you one expander on station #2 of the 1050 but that's not the end of the story. On Station 3 the back up rod for the swager also has a step at the top of the rod that will also expand the case.

Far right and you can also see the powder funnel where the case goes inside the funnel vs the funnel inside the case.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/v...psrdhiqruf.jpg

It is the expander built into the back up rod on #3, that the powder funnel for the 1050 for pistol is universal (far left) as it just bells the mouth vs being specific for each caliber as an expander and bell like all the rest (center).

Last edited by jmorris; August 28, 2016 at 07:12 PM.
Old August 28, 2016, 03:10 PM   #4
jwrowland77

Only time I've ever heard about flaring or belling a rifle case is when using cast boolets.

Using jacketed, if you use a VLD chamfer tool, you shouldn't need to bell/flare rifle case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old August 28, 2016, 05:54 PM   #5
Machineguntony

Holy moly, I forgot that I had an M die for 308. That just solved the problem.

While I agree that neck flaring usually isn't needed on a bottleneck rifle round, when speed loading on a progressive with a bully dropper, it's necessary, or else the bullets will spill as the round advances to the seating station.

My next project will be to sort and categorize my reloading stuff.
Old August 28, 2016, 07:12 PM   #6
jmorris

Quote:
While I agree that neck flaring usually isn't needed on a bottleneck rifle round, when speed loading on a progressive with a bully dropper, it's necessary, or else the bullets will spill as the round advances to the seating station.
No it's not, if you use the right stuff correctly.

Doubt your running much faster than this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La83ZVKnBzw

What components are you using, what feeder and what is your brass prep?

Last edited by jmorris; August 28, 2016 at 07:18 PM.