The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 20, 2015, 09:57 PM   #1
AL45

Yildiz shotguns

I have read lots of bad reviews about "Turkey" shotguns, but when I research Yildiz shotguns, which are distributed by Academy stores, most all of the reviews are positive. Any one have any experience with them?
Old December 21, 2015, 12:02 PM   #2
Boogershooter

If you are gona use it once or twice a year it will make you a good gun. If u shoot often don't buy it. My middle son just had to have one in 28 gauge. After about 1500 rounds it got loose. I know browning and beretta's are expensive but I still shoot a couple of my grandfather's superposed. Best way to find deals on shotguns is buy one after somebody had a really bad day at the range lol
Old December 21, 2015, 02:36 PM   #3
gyvel

Two Sarsilmaz shotguns, one Regent R100 1911 and one Canik CZ 75 copy finally taught me a lesson to stay away from Turkish garbage.

"Yer pays yer money and yer takes yer chances."

As always, YMMV.
SIFE
Old December 21, 2015, 06:13 PM   #4
FITASC

There are different degrees of "Turkish garbage", and the guns made by AKUS (Dickinson et al) are very well made. The Turks are just like everyone else -they will build the quality to the price point you want to pay and cheap guns are just that - cheap, ESPECIALLY when it comes to O/Us and SxSs.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 21, 2015, 06:31 PM   #5
ms6852

I bought mine several years ago, a 12 gauge over under, beautifully engraved and the wood is beautiful. I paid about $500 for it. I have know regrets and use it for skeet shooting and dove hunting.
Old December 21, 2015, 08:34 PM   #6
Sappyg

I have one of the A4s elegants in 410. Nice little gun. So far so good but it only has about 400 rounds through it. Time will tell but it doesn't give me the impression that going to hold up over the long haul under anything more than moderate use.
The good thing is academy has a 5 year warranty on them so I figure if it makes it to 5 years without a problem it' might be time to upgrade.
Compared to my 15 year old stoeger Uplander 12 gage the Yildiz is superior in every way. Fit, finish, ballance.... You name it.
Old January 1, 2016, 11:59 AM   #7
CockNBama

I have two Yildiz guns, and one CZ by Huglu. I think it's erroneous to describe either of those brands as 'Turkish garbage', because all three of mine perform well. Their low cost allowed me to accept the risk of bending the cast off stocks to cast on, so I learned something and ended up with well-fitted guns that shoot where I look and are deadly on quail, clays and a few pheasants.

These guns are not the equal of my CG, Browning or Beretta guns, but the differences are in refinement and pride of possession, not in basic utility and acceptability.

And none of them is for sale!
Old January 1, 2016, 06:16 PM   #8
howl

Good, lightweight field guns. I have had to send a couple back to get straightened out. One was missing the trigger pivot pin. The other had point of impact about a foot and a half high. The nice thing is you can talk to the warranty repair shop directly while using the gun counter at Academy as your shipping department.

If you need a choke for one check out SumToy in Georgia.
Old January 5, 2016, 07:36 AM   #9
RobinTN

I've owned two Yildiz O/U's. One was a 12ga and one a 20. I still have the 20ga with 2,000+ rounds through it without a hiccup. The 12ga served me well for over a year, but I wanted a Beretta so I sold it for within $75 of what I had in it. I think they are worth the risk of buying. Briley Gunsmithing does the warranty work if needed and they are nationally known and respected. Trulock Chokes makes after market extended chokes for them, also. They are field guns...light, easy to carry, but kick! Boy, do they ever! That can be tamed though, with a Limbsaver Precision Fit recoil pad.

Be mindful just 'cause they look similar to the "B" guns doesn't make it so.
Old January 11, 2016, 02:22 PM   #10
postmaster

I have read lots of bad reviews about "Turkey" shotguns,

I bought a Limberta 'turkey made 12G. I only paid 300 for it and so far it has performed very well. I only have it for home defense, and a few times blowing up water filled milk jugs. The fit and finish is ok as well.