The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 8, 2015, 08:57 PM   #1
Toddrod505

Thoughts on Accurate Powder??

So I recently acquired my dads reloading equipment, I reloaded all the time with him when I was younger. So I figure since he had everything and didn't reload anymore I'd get back into it. Anyway his biddy gave him like 5 lbs of Accurate No. 2 powder. I've looked at their loads on their site and can load many diff calibers I own with it. Just wanted to see if it's a good or bad powder?
Old April 8, 2015, 09:10 PM   #2
SHR970

SCORE!!!!!

The original #2 powder (early 90's) had issues with cycling 9mm and 40 S&W in certain pistols; they even said so in their load guides. But it was still a good powder for many things. When they went to #2 improved in the mid / late 90's the issues with cycling certain pistols pretty much went away.

What you have is a well metering powder that will work well in a variety of applications. Don't try to make fire breathing magnum loads out of it and you will be well served.

Personally I've been an Accurate fan since I first used the line in the early 90's.
Old April 8, 2015, 09:41 PM   #3
9mmSkeeter

I've only used Accurate as their 4350 in a 30-06 load, but it was clean burning, accurate, and overall a great powder. I'd say you did good.
Old April 8, 2015, 09:52 PM   #4
Toddrod505

Thanks for the advise, I'll mainly be loading 45 ACP & 9mm
Old April 8, 2015, 10:35 PM   #5
Nick_C_S

Score

AA#2 is a fantastic powder.

For starters, nothing meters better. Nothing.

Although AA#2 nestles clearly in the fast powder category (with W231/HP-38, Bullseye, VV312, Titewad, Clays, Red Dot, Zip), it has just a bit of "slowness" to it that allows for some load workup to modest SD performance levels, suitable for short barrel applications. Naturally low flash and low recoil - both good qualities for SD. My work up to 8.0gn under a 125gn JHP in 357 Mag delivers 1195 fps through a 3" bbl. An excellent performing short barrel shooter.

But I digress. I didn't mean to tout its defense application ability. That's not its wheelhouse. I was only making the point that it doesn't quite pop as hard and fast as other fast powders.

I have found that AA#2 makes excellent 115g range shooters for 9mm. 124's too. Runs super duper clean. I've even used it for modest 180gn low recoil rounds for 10mm. And where I've got it to shine the brightest is with 38 Special plated DEWC's. Superb accuracy and extremely low Standard Deviation chrono numbers. Now in this 38 Special application, it's underpressured and leaves this fine chartreuse colored "sand" behind. But it isn't gummy at all; and it's not that big o' deal. What's so amazing is how incredibly consistent it performs in this application while it's clearly running in an underpressure and less than ideal condition. Neat.

Yeah, big fan of AA#2. I have about 2 Lbs remaining, and I reserve it for semi-auto applications. Problem is, I haven't seen the stuff anywhere for sale in over 2 years. I wouldn't even be surprised if it hasn't been in production during this time.
Old April 8, 2015, 11:02 PM   #6
Machineguntony

For whatever reason, Accurate and Hodgdon are very available right now. That makes AA powder awesome.

I love AA powder. #2 is good stuff. Please share.
Old April 9, 2015, 03:18 AM   #7
Hammerhead

Quote:
For whatever reason, Accurate and Hodgdon are very available right now.
I hope you're right. I want try Nitro 100NF for light .45 auto loads. Maybe #2 if I can't find Nitro. My N310 and Clays are getting low.
Old April 9, 2015, 05:36 AM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've not used AA 2, but I have used a fair amount of AA 7, which I like very much for 10mm, .41 Magnum, and .357 Magnum.

The only issue I have with it (and I think this is the case with 2, as well) is that it is s fine that my powder measure leaks like a sieve.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 9, 2015, 03:44 PM   #9
Nick_C_S

Nitro 100

Quote:
I want try Nitro 100NF for light .45 auto loads.
Hammerhead, If you find N100, I don't think you're going to be disappointed.

A few months back, I bought 4 @ 12oz of it (it's 12oz. per container - not 1 Lb) untested. I've only loaded it for 38 Special target level rounds (the only intended application for which I purchased it), and thus far, its performance is outstanding for the application. Runs incredibly clean - cleaner than W231. Yes, cleaner than Winchester 231.

I suspect it would have a similar result in 45 ACP. I may even try it myself someday soon.
Old April 9, 2015, 03:50 PM   #10
Nick_C_S

Quote:
Accurate and Hodgdon are very available right now.
Where? Just curious.
Old April 9, 2015, 07:13 PM   #11
Sure Shot Mc Gee

[QUOTE] Thoughts on Accurate Powder??[QUOTE]

I've used allot of Accurate powder over the years. Way before #2 was introduced into the market place even. Back in those days Accurate was actually called IMI Powder. It's origin mostly consisted of products being of pulled or surplus military grade over run powders. In those times a 8 lb jug of 2230 or #7 sold for 42.00 ($) at Dexter Automotive Services in Dexter, Kansas aka now known as Powder Valley Inc. With the (above) said.

I actually prefer Accurate & IMR powders over all those others. Reason being: Those others were always comparing their product's to some other well known manufactures product. (DuPont to be specific)
Old April 9, 2015, 09:29 PM   #12
Machineguntony

The powder is available. I didn't say it was easy to get to, but if you search around, you can find it. Lets not divulge such info on the open boards. That just makes supplies diminish faster, when a seller puts them up.

Online, I get an average of $18 per pound after Haz Mat and shipping (no tax for out of state). Way cheaper than a LGS.

The recent pistol powder purchase:

(Pic up only temporarily and redacted)

Last edited by Machineguntony; April 9, 2015 at 10:59 PM.
Old April 9, 2015, 09:56 PM   #13
Toddrod505

I just stopped at a local shop and picked up a few pounds of misc powder for diff calibers this evening. All there powder is $24.95 lb. I didn't think that was too bad. I can't be in there long though because I'm like a little kid in a candle store
Old April 9, 2015, 10:48 PM   #14
Nick_C_S

That's a fair enough answer Machineguntony. Thanks. I'm pickin' up what you're layin' down.

Fortunately, I have all the powder (all the components, actually) I need for a good while. My question was mostly academic. Though this shortage, I have been putting in time checking sites and getting the feel for supplies. I also visit my LGS for the same reason. I just like to see where the market is for my own knowledge.
Old April 9, 2015, 10:56 PM   #15
Machineguntony

Something I can not find, no matter how hard i search, is 22lr, at a reasonable cost (unreasonable cost, i.e., 10 cents each, is easy to find). I hope that when components become plentiful again, that 22lr will follow.
Old April 10, 2015, 05:03 AM   #16
Mike Irwin
Staff

"like a little kid in a candle store"

And we know how little kids LOVE candles...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 10, 2015, 06:55 AM   #17
mineralman55

AA#2

AA#2 is an excellent powder for both pistol and revolvers. In fact, it is relatively position insensitive, so you can load lightly for magnum calibers such as the .357mag and .44mag. In 9mm and .45ACP it is low recoiling and easily controllable. You scored!