The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 22, 2013, 12:32 AM   #1
savagest

Saving Brass. 308 vs 7.62x51

I am saving up my brass for when I get a reloading station. I have got some Federal gold medal in 308 and 7.62. I heard there is a primer difference between the two. I have looked at the both of them and they look the same. I don't want to have to buy two sets of primers to reload, am I going to run into an issue here or is there a solution here.
Old February 22, 2013, 01:08 AM   #2
NESHOOTER

Brass

It seems you have some commercial grade .308 and some mil spec 7.62 with a crimp on the primer which will need to be removed when time come to reloading. To answer your question no you will not have to have 2 different primers as the mil spec are known to have thicker primer cup (the face that the firingpin strikes) which are if used in semi-auto helps prevent slam fires or the like enjoy your new quest.
Old February 22, 2013, 09:10 AM   #3
5R milspec

Show a pic of the two different cases,then we would be able to help out better.( primer up ) But if one of the two types of brass has a little extra ring around the primer,well then its crimped in primers.Not to worry though if this is the case,all you will need to do is to remove this by cutting it out with a chamfering tool,a few turns and its gone for good. No need to worry the primers are the same for either case,its just that one might be crimped in.
Old February 22, 2013, 09:41 AM   #4
rox

Take a look inside the different cases. Do they all have a single central flash hole, or do some have 2 off-centre flash holes? Some military brass uses Berdan primers (2 flash holes), which needs special tooling to remove and different primers to the boxer primers usually used by reloaders. Photos and more details here.