The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 28, 2007, 09:43 PM   #1
Pfaff

CZ83: Two Questions

Hey Y'All --

Am new to this forum as of today, specifically to get your input to the following two questions. Background: I'm a pilot, and have reason to carry small, concealed, sub-sonic, and suppressed. I've pretty much finalized on the CZ-83, in 9mm Browning (short/.380), but am open to the Markarov barrel if it is the only CZ-83 barrel that can be suppressed.

I want a suppressor, and it only makes sense to me to get it from the start. While I understand the mechanics of expanding gas suppression, I know nothing about companies making excellent suppressors and barrels.

Q1 - Having finalized on the CZ-83, who do I get it from who can combine the new purchase with extended (screw-on) barrel and silencer/suppressor?

Q2 - Where to shop for best price? I have a local in-my-state dealer who can receive and complete the legal transaction(s).

Thanks. I await y'all's responses.
Old July 29, 2007, 08:03 AM   #2
PSP

I suspect a threaded barrel for a .380 CZ83 may be difficult to find. The suppressor will be easy to locate once you've selected the pistol. It will take several months to process BATF paperwork.

I would suggest you look to manufacturers that market readily available weapons with threaded barrels such as H&K, Glock or Beretta.

Good luck.

PS, Welcome to the forum
Old July 29, 2007, 08:11 AM   #3
David the Gnome

Might want to read this over and make sure all this is legal in your state.

http://www.gem-tech.com/legal.html
Old July 29, 2007, 11:33 AM   #4
MGRacer

The CZ-83 is a blow back design -- e.g. unlocked breech. These guns tend to have a lot more gas and debris come out the ejection port when suppressed and for the same reason they tend to be louder to the shooter. If it were me, I would select a small locked breech 9mm and use subsonic 147 grain JHP rounds.

edit: There is a real plus to the CZ-83 however -- a fixed barrel so you will not require a booster on the suppressor. http://www.adcofirearms.com/shopservices_.cfm?page=shop is making barrel extensions that may solve finding a barrel and they also sell suppressors.

Last edited by MGRacer; July 29, 2007 at 12:56 PM.
Old September 24, 2012, 10:00 PM   #5
dartamon

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but there are now threaded CZ-82/3 barrels available. I put one on my custom CZ-83:

Old September 24, 2012, 10:36 PM   #6
PSP

Quote:
... threaded CZ-82/3 barrels available
Available from whom? Which suppressor do you use on it?
Old September 25, 2012, 05:29 PM   #7
dartamon

Available from me, I had a batch of 50 match barrels custom fabricated since nobody was offering them.

You can get them from gunbroker or directly from my small storefront:

Gunbroker

Storefront

I'm going to be building a custom suppressor, waiting for the Form 1 to come back.
Old September 25, 2012, 06:09 PM   #8
Walt Sherrill

Which caliber are you offering?

The CZ-83 is available in several calibers, including 9x18 (even though CZ isn't now importing that version into the U.S.), and the 82 can be rebarreled to .380.
Old September 25, 2012, 07:01 PM   #9
dartamon

Sorry, I should have made that clearer. We're offering only the .380 ACP right now, it seems to have the greatest demand. Depending on how well this caliber does, we could expand into .32 ACP or the Makarov caliber.
Old September 25, 2012, 07:07 PM   #10
dartamon

Deleted double post.
Old October 12, 2012, 07:09 PM   #11
dartamon

I took this gun shooting a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHb8prGpHHI

The hollowpoint ammo jammed, I will be polishing the feedramp to get rid of that. FMJ fed okay. I don't know if it shows too well in this video, but the recoil is a lot less snappy now, more buttery smooth due to the 18lb Wolff spring.