The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 28, 2009, 08:15 PM   #1
w_houle

What am I missing?

I know, I was working so hard on having a 55 gallon drum of pot metal guns, but all of a sudden I thought: What am I missing by not owning a shotgun? I started a few threads earlier asking about a few, but never came through with a purchase. I have shot one a few times during my hunters safety course but with only a hand full of rounds fired, and not a clear recollection of what I shot... I have no idea as to what I want anymore.
Old August 28, 2009, 08:35 PM   #2
Carne Frio

Start with A. What will it be used for ?
B. How much do you want to spend ?
Old August 29, 2009, 12:16 AM   #3
olddrum1

Not sure if that was a statement or if your posting a question. Help us out here a little.
Old September 1, 2009, 08:02 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

You're missing plenty.

Fun-It's been over 50 years since I first obliterated a clay but I recall that moment better than I do most of my ex girl friends.

And the sight of my first dove tumbling out of the sky.

Food-A repeating shotgun in either 12 or 20 gauge is a major meat gathering tool. Anything from Elk to Armadillos can be taken humanely and regularly.

Defense-Nothing this side of crew served weapons equals the one shot stop percentages of a shotgun in TRAINED, EFFECTIVE hands for CQB.

But, don't take my word for it. Spend a couple hundred bucks on a Big Four pump gun, a few cases of ammo, and shoot it until you know as you pull the trigger the target is destroyed.

Shotgunning is Loud Zen.

At that point, you're a shotgunner.....
Old September 3, 2009, 04:08 AM   #5
porrpk

what are you missing?

shooting at moving targets is alot funner than shooting at stationary paper.

trap, skeet and 5 stand. super fun for the serious and recreational.

home defense. although some can argue, a shotgun is top dog in the home defense category IMO.

mall ninja status, no self respecting mall ninja doesn't have a tacticool shotty.

hillbilly status, no self respecting hillybilly doesn't have a 12ga bubba gun.

a relatively simple, powerful and fun to shoot gun.

you'll want two or three. (at least)
Old September 3, 2009, 08:51 AM   #6
oneounceload

Cheaper to buy and shoot than most handguns, (pump gun anyway), a little easier to master for many as well........
Old September 3, 2009, 04:20 PM   #7
mathman

Can I just say that I love shotguns?

Quote:
Shotgunning is Loud Zen.
That is classic...and absolutely true. I think that a shotgun should be the second firearm that everyone should own (right after a nice 22 rifle of course).
Old September 3, 2009, 04:33 PM   #8
oneounceload

If a shotgun equals loud Zen, then a nicely balanced, well-fitted target shotgun is the highest level of karma you can achieve!
Old September 3, 2009, 06:50 PM   #9
BigJimP

The OP never responded and said what he wanted to do with a shotgun ...

but I agree that everyone should give the clay target games a try / even if its only occasionally. There is nothing wrong with having a good solid pump gun in the safe - it will do a little bit of everything pretty well ( and although I don't shoot my pump guns much anymore / I'll never get rid of them in 12 or 20ga ..).
Old September 4, 2009, 12:18 AM   #10
zippy13

Help, I'm old and easily confused...
I got lost somewhere between a pot metal collection and Zen. Where are we going with this, does the OP want some junk for his barrel or to try out some of the shot sports -- what am I missing?

Last edited by zippy13; September 4, 2009 at 01:14 PM. Reason: forgot a word
Old September 4, 2009, 12:22 PM   #11
BigJimP

Come on Zippy - you have to read between the lines ......but there is probably some "tactical - tacky things he wants" hard to tell ......
Old September 4, 2009, 01:26 PM   #12
zippy13

You're probably right, BigJim; but, the OP sounds like a lost voice calling from the mist. IMHO, he may need his life re-directed and focused via a quest for spiritual enlightenment or dedicated participation in the shotgun sports.
Old September 4, 2009, 03:41 PM   #13
BigJimP

Ok, I guess ....... come on man, don't make me look at a thesaurus on a Friday afternoon before a long weekend .....

I'm just thinking about a cold beer, fair food and a big rodeo for the weekend ...a little light entertainment ......( since I can't shoot yet ..)/and its looking like 2 more months ....
Old September 4, 2009, 05:49 PM   #14
w_houle

Did I write that? I forgot I even did that. I guess it just boils down to never spending any quality time with a shotgun. What do I want it for? Umm... what can I do with it? I mean, I know it falls into the equation there somewhere, just not in my mind.
I'll find something, I think I just need to go out and get the feel of one that I like.

Last edited by w_houle; September 4, 2009 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Edit: Me? A shotgun thread? Huh, who woulda thought...
Old September 4, 2009, 05:55 PM   #15
BigJimP

You need to grab ahold of a solid thought man ..... I don't think any of us have any idea what you mean ....
Old September 4, 2009, 05:55 PM   #16
RNB65

Have you ever tried to hit an object that's 4" wide, 1" high, and flying through the air at 50mph? You should give it a try sometime. You just might get addicted.
Old September 6, 2009, 07:07 AM   #17
Blue Grass

If you want to put meat on the table, you need a shotgun.

If you want a solid home defense weapon, you need a shotgun.

If you want a fun toy for several shooting sports, you need a shotgun.

Actually, you need one reciever and multiple barrels. This versitility is why I love shotguns. A police trade in Rem 870 or Mossberg can be had cheap and more barrels added as you interest in shotgunning grows. Does this answer your question? What was you question? Did you ask a question?