The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 7, 2000, 10:53 PM   #1
gunrunner

I was at the gun range shooting some of the Blazer ammo and it has aluminum cases not the reloadable brass case. a shooter came up to me and stated the aluminum bullets would cause damage to my guns, i have never heard of this and would guess that soft aluminum would damage the steel barrel, any info helpful. thanks
Old January 7, 2000, 11:10 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

Yes, the info is don't listen to people that walk up to you and offer obviously bad info.

The Al in the Blazer is an alloy that is tougher than pure Al but it is brittle. You don't have to worry about it damaging your gun. I have heard rumors about Blazers splitting or having head separations, but as far as I know they are only rumors. Someone else might have some hard data on this. However, the way I see it, a company like CCI could hardly afford to manufacture millions of these rounds per year if they caused damage to a gun.
Old January 7, 2000, 11:23 PM   #3
Joe Portale

Hi Guys,

I have had several CCI cases split on me. In all fairness, I don't shoot that much CCI. I was shooting 9mm 115 grain. The pistol fired and the action cycled. The split cases were found while I was picking up after myself. So if the aluminum splits on non-reloadable cases, who cares. Any good gun can handle the force of a factory load.

------------------
Joe Portale
Tucson, Arizona territory

"The unarmed man is a subject, the armed man is a citizen."
Old January 8, 2000, 02:48 AM   #4
Bud Helms

I didn't know that CCI put aluminum bullets in the Blazer ammo. I knew the case was aluminum though.

Sorry, Joe, I have to disagree with you on one thing, in principle. There is NOTHING okay with case splitting. Modern, well-built firearms are intended to withstand the pressures of modern loads, as you say, but that is within the confines of the chamber.

Once the case splits, depending on how far back the split runs, you could be holding on to a little hot gas critter that has found a way out. You don't want to be holding on to that pistol when he gets out. I'd venture to say that your 9 mm chamber isn't water tight or air tight. It's surely not +50,000 psi tight. Not after a case splits. No way.

What'll save you and me from being hurt when cases split is the speed at which the pressure peak and temperature peak passes during the firing cycle ... milliseconds.

Head separation is dramatic, especially in a pistol. I've only seen pictures of handgun results. I've witnessed it in a bolt action rifle and I have no desire to be nearby when a pistol experiences it.

You didn't say your 9 mm had head separations with the Aluminum cases, but the splits aren't okay either.

For myself, even if it was Blazer ammo cases that split, I'd be checking my chamber dimensions. If it mic'd out okay, I wouldn't shoot that aluminum crap no more.

Peace,

Sensop

[This message has been edited by sensop (edited January 08, 2000).]
Old January 8, 2000, 09:25 AM   #5
TEXAS LAWMAN

I've been removing fired CCI Blazer cases from our department range for years and do not recall ever seeing one that had split. (We often use trustees for this labor so I'll have to offer an extra hamburger for any such cases found and turned in to me.)

Some of our officer shoot this ammo -- I've not heard any complaints. The bullet is not made of aluminum, just the case. They are less expensive for CCI to manufacture and are not reloadable.
Old January 8, 2000, 12:18 PM   #6
Rod WMG

My personal experience is that it is good ammo. No problems ever in either autos or sixguns.
Old January 8, 2000, 06:21 PM   #7
gunrunner

I meant the bullet as a loose term, not the actual bullet but the ammo, as aluminum case, instead of brass case. I havent seen any of the cases showing any splitting, but i didnt pick up every single one either, the way the guy talked it was that the aluminum case damage the barrel or feed ramp. i too would guess this soft case would damage the barrel.
Old January 8, 2000, 07:35 PM   #8
Mal H
Staff

"i too would guess this soft case would damage the barrel."

Why?
Old January 8, 2000, 11:11 PM   #9
gunrunner

oopppss that I would NOT guess the soft case would damage the barrel
Old January 9, 2000, 12:26 AM   #10
alan

Re aluminum cases being "bad", not from my limited erxperience with them.

I have fired a few boxes of CCI Blazer (9mmMakarov), and the only problems I encountered were a couple of "bad" rounds, turned out that they had gotten through the production line with no priming compound, or more likely, that the compound had separated from the cases (Berdan Primed).

I sent the dud rounds back to CCI, with a letter. A couple of weeks later, I received a detailed reply, and under separate cover, 2 boxes of ammunition. Realistically, one could not ask for more.

It is good shooting ammunition, though based on that one experience, I would hesitate to use that brand as "carry ammunition". In no way that I can observe, did it do any harm to the pistols it was fired in.
Old January 9, 2000, 02:09 PM   #11
Dave Finfrock

Some guns do seem to have some difficulties with the aluminum cased Blazer ammo. I've had experience with an HK4 that would not cycle Blazer for anthing. It pulled the rims off, squashed cases, the works. I have doubts about Blazer in the P7 as well. I've never tried it (lets face it, 9mm is dirt cheap to reload, cases @ $10/M), but the fluted chamber might be problematic with aluminum. If the aluminum case tends to adher to the flutes, you'll probably see the P7 tear the rim off. Personally, I don't use the stuff.
Old January 10, 2000, 12:48 AM   #12
Paul B.

I was given a miniature ammo can of .38 Spl. wadcutters in the Blazer brand as a gift. About 7 rounds split lengthwise on the cases. Most splits were from the neck to about .75 in. into the case towards the head.
I haven't used any of that stuff since.
Paul B.
Old January 10, 2000, 04:51 PM   #13
Joe Portale

sensop you wrote,

"Sorry, Joe, I have to disagree with you on >one thing, in principle. There is NOTHING >okay with case splitting. Modern, well-built >firearms are intended to withstand the >pressures of modern loads, as you say, but >that is within the confines of the chamber."

You are right. I should have been clearer. The cases split at the mouth not along the middle.

------------------
Joe Portale
Tucson, Arizona territory

"The unarmed man is a subject, the armed man is a citizen."