The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old July 23, 2006, 07:50 PM   #1
dkb2003

Someone Breaks In And You Do What!!!!

So here it is....ITS 2AM....YOU HERE A CRASH....HMMMMI GUESS I WILL GET THE GUN AND GO INSPECT...???????????WHY WOULD YOU EVER DO THAT?..IF SOMEONE IS IN YOUR HOUSE YOU WILL KNOW IT...WHY WOULD YOU EVER LEAVE YOUR BEDROOM AND GO INSPECT...I LIVE IN TOLEDO, OHIO..AND IN AUG 2001 THIS HAPPEND TO ME... I COME FROM A LONG LINE OF LAW ENFORCEMENT FAMILY...ALMOST EVERYONE BUT ME..IM IN SALES..ANYWAY..MY DAD AND BROTHER TOLD ME LONG AGO THAT YOU NEVER EVER GO AND INSPECT..YOU NEVER KNOW WHATS OUT THERE..EVEN IF IT IS YOUR HOUSE..RIGHT WAY IS THIS....IF YOU SLEEP WITH DOOR OPEN, GET YOUR WEAPON, CLOSE DOOR TELL THE INTRUDER YOUR CALLING 911 AND THAT IF HE COMES IN YOUR SPACE..AKA BEDROOM, YOU ARE ARMED AND WILL SHOOT...IF DOOR IS CLOSED ALREADY, SAME THING JUST ADJUST..IF ANYONE ENTERS THE ROOM ITS BOOM BOOM...NEVER EVER HAVE A BEDROOM WITH NO PHONE...WRONG WAY.....HERE A SLAM, GET THE GUN AND GO INSPECT,,,,INTRUDER HAS THE UPPER HAND...IF HE IS ARMED HE WILL 9 TIMES OUT OF 10 BLAST YOU...BACK TO ME,,, AUG 2001..THIS HAPPEND TO ME...I COULDNT BELIEVE IT...I GRABED MY COLT DELTA ELITE 10 MM FROM MY NIGHT STAND ...I HAD A 2 WEEK OLD DAUGHTER AND MY WIFE IN MY BEDROOM...THE SLIDING GLASS DOOR WAS SMASHED WITH A BRICK AND I KNEW IT...AS SOON AS IT HAPPEND I WAS LIKE OMG...AS SOON AS LOOKED AT MY WIFE SHE HAD THE SAME LOOK I DID...I TOLD MY WIFE TO CALL 911 AND TOOK AIM AT THE DOOR..I TOLD HIM LIKE MY DAD TOLD ME TO....DO NOT ENTER IM ARMED AND WILL SHOOT...HE DIDNT LISTEN....I TOOK HIS LIFE AS HE ENTERED...HE WAS FOUND WITH A KNIFE ON HIM...NO FIREARM....NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DONT THINK ABOUT THAT NIGHT...NEVER EVER GO INSPECT...THANKS....
Old July 23, 2006, 08:01 PM   #2
axslingerW

I will not hide in my bedroom and leave my three children to an unknown fate. I will come out fighting. I refuse to be a victim.
Old July 23, 2006, 08:05 PM   #3
BerettaBuckeye

10mm's rule
- Jeff Cooper
Old July 23, 2006, 08:09 PM   #4
Al.40cal

+1 axslinger

"You think you got enough.....?"
"Brotha you can never have enough!"
Old July 23, 2006, 08:18 PM   #5
tony pasley

i can inspect before leaving the master bedroom. i have cameras in common areas inside the house and more outside, on a pc based dvr with main system in my room. it is also internet capable so i can look in from away from home
Old July 23, 2006, 08:18 PM   #6
Mal H
Staff

I would turn on my computer and once again try to fix the shift key and the stuck period key...

I'm not sure why this was in the semiauto forum...moving to Tactics and Training.
Old July 23, 2006, 08:22 PM   #7
ShelbyV8

It is my turf I know it better than he does, I am not going to draw him into the room with my family for a possible gun fight. If at all possible I will take him out before he leaves my house. The little old lady across the street would not stand a chance with him. Anyone who would do a home invasion is probably one of the most dangerous people on earth and will injure or kill someone if not removed from the public. If someone is already in your house and plans to do you harm, the police will not be there in time to prevent it.
Old July 23, 2006, 08:25 PM   #8
dkb2003

Kids In Another Room,,,,grab Them Fast And Retreat To Bedroom....other Than That....intellegent People Understand
Old July 23, 2006, 08:29 PM   #9
bg226

How many hits?

Did the great 10mm immediately incapacitate the intruder?

What load did you use?

Are you confident in the 10mm as a defensive caliber?
Old July 23, 2006, 08:33 PM   #10
axslingerW

Not all houses are built the same. Mine has a large commen area with bedrooms branching off. If there is an intruder, that places him between me and my kids, and he has already passed two large dogs. What is prudent in YOUR situation may or may not be the wise choice for others.
Old July 23, 2006, 08:36 PM   #11
dkb2003

i get it.....if poss never go inspect.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old July 23, 2006, 08:37 PM   #12
Troponin

"...intellegent People Understand."

I hardly feel that was called for. There are alot of intellegent people here and the number one thing is to realize that every tactical situation is different, otherwise, we would know exactly what to do every time no matter what the situation brings.

I have no kids, but I have thought about this. I have already told my wife if anyone were to forcefully enter our home, I do not even want them to know she is there. She should stay VERY quiet, that way the BG does not know there is more than one person (or hopefully), grab the .357 mag, go into the bedroom closet, where noise is drowned out to almost 0, then call 911. I would most likely have the door shut and be sitting behind the bed, aiming at the door.

No, I can't say my plan is perfect, but I think it's a big upper hand in atleast having some kind of plan. My wife is out of the way and protected for the most part and contacting 911.
Old July 23, 2006, 08:39 PM   #13
Troponin

BTW, I will be installing an alarm system in my new home, which we will be moving into in a couple months. It will have shock sensors in the windows and motion sensors in the main rooms and halways. There will be a siren hooked up to it.

I have not decided if I want it hooked up to the police yet though. Is it a good thing that the phone is ringing immediately after the alarm goes off? Think the BG may act fast and just try to take us out before PD arrives?
Old July 23, 2006, 08:48 PM   #14
Troponin

Ok, so I just got a PM from dkb2003...

"Are you a good guy? I guess not"

Can someone tell me what that means?
Old July 23, 2006, 09:03 PM   #15
Dwight55

Honestly, . . DKB, . . . in a forced home invasion scenario, . . . I am very much inclined to follow your line of thinking.

Bg busts in my place, . . . he'll eventually want to come into the bedroom (there ain't nothing of real value in the rest of the place).

My wife will have the sheriff on the way (it'll only take another 29 minutes for SD to arrive) so I'll be OK, hunkered down behind the bed, . . . wife in bath room, . . . both well armed. She has her cell phone, . . . I have mine, . . .

The only wrinkle is if the bg goes straight up the stairs. My son is up there with several arms, . . . and will most likely be quite well awake and ready to challenge anyone coming his way from a very good position due to the construction of the house.

Anyway, . . . DKB, . . . I like your plan.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old July 23, 2006, 09:23 PM   #16
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

While the focus of this thread is a good one, if it were an aircraft, it would be in a tailspin, crash imminent.

DKB, Mal tried to give you a gentle hint. Didn't work. Here it is a little more bluntly, in the form of TFL rule #4:

Quote:
4) Mangling of the English language whether thru ignorance, age, sloth or intent diminishes and embarrasses each of us. Posts which are indecipherable due to inability to translate thoughts into coherent written statements will be deleted without explanation. Recidivists will be removed.
Troponin, while it's not formally written up in the Big Book of Rules, we strongly discourage taking PM's public here. The P in PM means private.

Closed.

Feel free to restart it IF Rule #4 is adhered to (at least make the attempt.... please?), and IF it can be kept civil.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread