The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 26, 2016, 03:54 PM   #1
NJ357

Baikal semi auto

Hello all, I need some advice. I know without photos its hard to give a value on a used firearm however I was wondering what would a price range be if possible on a used Baikal semi auto. I have not seen it as of yet and am waiting on pictures myself. I do know the guy selling it and I just don't want to be taken advantage of. He forgets the model # but claims it is a Baikal semi auto chambered for 3 1/2" shells with a wood stock. I have looked online and have not had much luck finding much. I understand it is difficult to put a $ sight unseen and I will look it over the best I know how. He says it looks almost new but he has shot it some just not recently and been sitting in his safe the last few years. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old January 26, 2016, 04:25 PM   #2
FITASC

Have him send you some clear photos and post them, folks will be able to help you better that way.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 26, 2016, 09:17 PM   #3
Virginian

Once you get a FULL description go to GunBroker and look at completed auctions. That's what they sold for, not the asking prices. Bet it's lower than your friend thought.
Old January 27, 2016, 07:24 AM   #4
NJ357

I have looked on gunbroker and could not find any listings for a Baikal semi auto for sale. I also could not find any old auctions. This has me wondering a little. Are they that good that no one gets rid of them? or are they that bad that you cant even sell one? I did find 1 good review I believe it was the model MP135? Which had me interested if his price was right. I currently am not really in the market for a semi auto, (saving up for a Wingmaster) so he would have to make me a good offer on it. But also if its "such a great gun. Cost a lot of $$ when he bought it". Then why do you want to sell it? Wont give me a price, but tell me to make offer and that they are selling for $600 and cant even remember the model of the firearm? Gut is telling me to avoid the subject unless he goes for the $100 I offered lol
Old January 27, 2016, 07:55 AM   #5
FITASC

Listen to your initial gut instinct
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 27, 2016, 01:59 PM   #6
Virginian

I have zero experience with a Baikal semi, but their other guns appear to built in the Russian style of hell for stout and low on aesthetics. I think your gut instinct is right. You are not seeing any because they are not popular. Remington sold a relabelled Spartan series of Russian made guns and they quickly died.
Old January 30, 2016, 02:26 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

The only semi on Baikal Canada's site is their Model MP-155. 28" barrels, 3.5" chambering. Sold/imported until 2008, as a Remington "Spartan" SPR453 autoloader. There was a Model 153 at one time too. Both are reputed to be reliable, but kind of rough.
Apparently, Baikal stuff has been import banned by King Obama over the Ukraine.
https://www.treasury.gov/resource-ce.../20140716.aspx
I'm not seeing any of 'em on any U.S. auction site either. Some O/U's but not a single semi-auto. Not that it helps, but they run $550 Cdn. used, up here. Exchange rate is 43%.
Old January 31, 2016, 12:51 AM   #8
Ruger480

You should pass. I bought one brand spanking new for $350 back in...2003(?)4(?). I forget. Anyway, it wasn't a bad gun for making claims like "my autoloader handles 3 1/2s" but when it came to actually shooting it, you definitely wanted to use low brass. It was so light! I forget the exact weight but I bought some 3-1/2 inch turkey loads and that gun hurt to shoot. My first time patterning the gun with 3 1/2s felt like i had been kicked in the face with steel toe boots. I developed a flinch shortly after.
Old January 31, 2016, 06:41 AM   #9
NJ357

Thanks again guys. I appreciate the help. I had asked him if it was the #153 , since that was the only # i found a review on. His reply was uhmm i dont know. Maybe? Its really good though and takes 3 1/2" real man stuff. Think i will pass. Budget is so tight right now i do not wanna risk it. I have not seen enough positive info on these firearms.