The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 1, 2001, 10:55 PM   #1
Cat

I went into a small gunstore in north-west Ohio the other day and found something I had been wanting, but had given up on ever finding. An almost brand new Remington 1100, 2 3/4 inch "Special Field" 21 inch vent rib barrel, with choke tubes.
It was very reasonably priced and the salesman even knocked off an extra $20. These were never sold as extra barrels as far as I know, and only with the straight "English" stock.
I shot it in a shotgun action match (slugs and buckshot), that night and came in second place. I'm in hog heaven.
Old June 2, 2001, 10:32 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Congrats on the match showing, Cat. Unlike real life, coming in second in a shotgun match is a good thing(G)...

A repeater with a 21" bbl runs about as long as a double bbl, with 26-28" ones. Besides Frankenstein, my ugly little parts 870, we've a Youth Model 20 ga Express with a 21" tube. Both handle extremely well.

That short a bbl often creates a muzzle light feel. Some folks like that for brush hunting, a short bbled 870 or 1100 makes oneheckuva quail gun. Downside, for shots besides short fast ones, the piece has to be MADE to keep swinging, there's little inertia to smooth things out and preventing stopping the bbl.

For trap, I've set Frank up with a bbl weight made from a bow stabilizer, adding 7 oz to the front end adds that inertia. A two shot Mag extension would do the same thing(G). Since 1100s have more stuff under the forearm wood,added weight probably isn't needed as much on your shotgun.

One could also aid the balance by removing weight from the butt end, by hollowing out the stock or switching to a lighter one. The Law of Diminishing Returns comes into the picture, there are limits to how much weight can be lost and how much a shotgun should weigh anyway.

But, "Serious" shotguns should run a bit on the heavy side anyway, so this may not be of concern.

Also, a 21" bbled repeater of good make like the 1100 or 870 comes as close as reality will allow to that mythical
"All Around" shotgun. Little practical difference in handling between that and a 18" bbl, a little more sight radius,and a hair more stable with that slightly heavier muzzle.Add choke tubes and a stock that fits, ah......