The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 29, 2012, 11:22 PM   #1
scottd913

mossberg magazine spring failure

Well this never has happened before, at least not to me! But I do so love a challenge. Today i was out blasting away at an old tree stump running slugs I made for my 500a and out of no-where my spring broke inside my magazine tube. Following are a few questions if you fine folks have the time.

1)is this some thing that just happens or is it possible that the spring just got caught up?
2)where is the best place for me to buy a spring for this?
3)what is the proper way to remove the magazine tube?
thank you
scott
Old September 30, 2012, 05:25 AM   #2
natman

1)is this some thing that just happens or is it possible that the spring just got caught up?

It''s possible the spring is broken, but unlikely. I once had my Mossberg 500 turkey gun's mag spring hang up on the magazine plug. Once you get it out, bevel the ends of the wooden dowel so the spring can't get caught in it.

2)where is the best place for me to buy a spring for this?

"If you have any questions regarding the return of your firearm, or need any service information, please telephone us at: (800) 363-3555, fax (830) 773-5893, or email [email protected]" or Brownells, maybe even Midway. But determine if the spring is actually broken first.

3)what is the proper way to remove the magazine tube?

Remove the barrel and put the receiver in a padded vise. Use a strap wrench (you can get them from the plumbing department of the hardware store or as a jar opener in the kitchen section) and grab the mag tube by the END where it is reinforced. If you use pliers of any kind and grab it in the middle you'll damage the tube.

If it's really stubborn you may need to heat the receiver with a hair dryer.
Old September 30, 2012, 11:01 AM   #3
scottd913

Quote:
grab the mag tube by the END where it is reinforced
do you mean the end where the barrel screws into the tube? or where the tube screws into the reciever?
I have a heat gun and i am not concerned with the paint on this unit as i can redo the paint.
OH and thanks
Old October 2, 2012, 05:07 PM   #4
g.willikers

Yes, turn from the front end of the mag tube, where the barrel screws into it.
That's the only place that is re-enforced enough.
Old October 2, 2012, 05:23 PM   #5
scottd913

thanks for all your help i was albe to place the reciever between my leges and twist the tube off with both my hands....

can you believe someone put a pencil in it in place of a plug?

im sure the spring woild have been ok but i tore it all to hell getting it out!!

it was a little rusted so maybe its good to replace it

i did clean all the rust out of the tube and oiled it up real good then wiped it out.

this is giving me a good chance to clean it inside and out might even do a little more than that
Old October 4, 2012, 12:45 PM   #6
dahermit

Quote:
...can you believe someone put a pencil in it in place of a plug?
I wonder what percent of "needs to be fixed guns", brought to gunsmiths are the result of such stupidity compared to things just worn out and broken. We had a gunsmith in our church when I was a kid and he would get real uptight about using anything but real gun patches for cleaning barrels. He said that he was frequently presented guns to be "fixed", that had pieces of underwear and tee-shirts jammed in the bores.
Old October 4, 2012, 09:18 PM   #7
wyop

You could not believe what has been seen in mag tubes to meet plugging requirements:

Pencils, sticks, mop/broom handle pieces, pieces of PVC pipe, etc.

My favorite? Live shotgun shells ahead of the follower, behind the rear of the spring.