The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 22, 2012, 06:57 PM   #1
johnmcgowan

Anyone using H4350 in their 270 with 130 gr ballistic tips?

Im working on some different loads for my Ruger MkII 270 and using H4350 and Federal 210 primers along with Nosler 130 gr ballistic tips. Using a mix of Federal and Winchester brass thats been resized. My friend who works up my loads for me is starting me out at 51.5 grains and will go in 1/2 grain increments all the way up to the published max load of 54.3 for this powder. He's got me 5 rounds of each batch to try .
Anyone have some suggested pet loads that worked for them with this powder and bullet combo ?
Just curious what others have come up with is all, I realize every gun is different, etc..
Thanks,
John
Old January 22, 2012, 08:54 PM   #2
warbirdlover

What's the most popular powder for .270 loads?
Old January 22, 2012, 09:06 PM   #3
TXGunNut

Works well in 30-06, should do fine in .270. Doubt you'll ever realize the potential of the rifle or load with mixed brass, tho.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old January 23, 2012, 04:41 AM   #4
Mike / Tx

Over the years I have run quite a few different powders through my Remington .270, and for the most part I can say they were all pretty accurate, but some were simply outstanding.

This said, with the Ballistic Tip, I would look for an accuracy load in the neighborhood of around 2800fps. Granted you could push for more velocity, but with the BT your not going to need it to get good performance. This bullet will do all you need done out to over 300yds on deer or feral hogs.

I have used IMR, Hodgdon, and AA 4350 and really saw not a lot of differences in the three. The slower powders in the 4831 burn rate are also good but you should use a different bullet to avoid some nasty trimming jobs due to the velocity they generate.

Actually my overall best shooting load was worked up back when my mom was still hunting. She needd something that had a light recoil, so I worked up a load using the 130gr BT and IMR-3031. This was a VERY mild recoiling load and the accuracy was simply outstanding. She used it for several years, then gave it up, and I used it for quite a few before my daughter started using it. It took over a dozen whitetails as well as numerous hogs to ranges out past 300yds. It never blew up due to the lower velocity even on a close up shot of 30 or so yards.

Today there are numerous very good powders to choose from. Just decide what your end use will be and load accordingly. If for deer, you might want to stick with a mid ranged velocity ove the top ends with the BT, or simply give the Partition a look.

Good luck.
Old January 23, 2012, 04:51 AM   #5
hooligan1

I use the H4350 for my loading, in the .270 win. but my bullet of choice is the 130 grn Accubond, I feel it delivers more penetration, same or better accuracy, and not so explosive.
Old January 23, 2012, 11:04 AM   #6
johnmcgowan

Thanks for the replies guys.
Hooligan, may I ask what grain loads have you found that works for you in your 270 using the H4350 ?
John
Old January 26, 2012, 01:48 PM   #7
mmac

great for me

I have just started to get into reloading, so appreciate all the advice everyone is giving.

I have worked up 2 loads or still working up two loads for my 270.

Nosler recommends the H4831sc and for the 130 BT's my best groups is at 57gr. with that powder. But a slightly better load for me was the h4350 at 54 gr. I could cover three shots with a dime. That load is recommended by Barnes for their 130's, so working with those next.

The BT's are not a good bullet for hunting IMO. Lead in food is never good... So the accubond is what I am moving too, just had to order the 130 accubonds. Hoping the loads won't change much. I used wlr primers though, so will also try the feds, but seems like I am close. I am seated to 3.33.

I hope that helps. I think I get more velocity out of the H4350 too as they are 2 inches higher than the h4831 at 100 yards, but I am sure someone will correct me. I don't have a chrono yet.
Old January 26, 2012, 03:23 PM   #8
johnmcgowan

Hi mmac,
it sounds you and I are about in the same boat, Im just starting out learning about reloading also. Maybe we can learn together
What rifle do you shoot? I have a Ruger MkII with stainless barrel. I recently removed the original ugly stock and replaced it with a Boyd's laminate stock and an trying to get it dialed in with some reloads a buddy of mine is working up for me.
I have yet to get back out to the range to try his work up loads with the
H4350 and 130 ballistic tips but maybe some day this weekend we will try to go, weather permitting. I dont own a chronograph either.
Your workup of the H4350 groups sounds great! Before I changed out stocks on mine, I used Federal factory premium rounds with the 130 ballistic tips and it too shot groups just like you described
What do you hunt and where are you located? Im in beautiful Alabama.
Good to talk with ya!
John
Old January 26, 2012, 06:52 PM   #9
mmac

John,

Yea, happy to share anything and get any info as I need lots of questions answered.

I have a cooper in 270 24in stainless barrel. It shoots better than anything I have ever seen, so it makes me look better than I am.

I got almost the same with the 4831sc, but not as much velocity. At least I dont' think as much. I have to load up some more loads of each and smaller changes between the loads to confirm and maybe even dial in more before calling it over.

I have this as a deer, antelope and anything else a 130 will take. I have some others so keeping this in the 130 range. It doesn't like the 140's as much.

Mark
Old January 26, 2012, 07:05 PM   #10
hoffbill

Are you loading like 5 Fed and 5 Win with the same load to compare? If you mix the two different brass in the same load and shot group the outcome may not be reliable because different brands of brass or even same brand from different lots can vary in capacity which can result in different chamber pressure, thus different velocity and variations in barrel and bullet performance.

I sort my brass of the same type onto lots by weight, try to stay + or - .5 grains or less in a lot. Not sure how much difference the weight of the brass needs to get before it makes a difference but I bet somebody on her does
Old January 26, 2012, 07:08 PM   #11
hoffbill

Warbird, I don't know about most popular but I have been getting some good results with Hodgden Hybrid 100 V in my 270 loads.
Old January 26, 2012, 07:20 PM   #12
mmac

Hoff,

I am sorting by manufacturer of brass. I think I used Rem brass with the h4350 and Norma or Barnes with the h4831sc. I haven't gone to weighing the brass, for hunting it seems overkill to me or just to far into it than I care to go without going from hobby to obsession.... I would imagine it does make a difference, but I don't plan that detail.

I also have only used wlr primers, but my try the federals at some point too. I have some 210M's to try.
Old January 26, 2012, 07:28 PM   #13
Nnobby45

I like your friends approach, except for the mixed brass part. Starting out, you should be using brand new brass that will fire formed to match your chamber.

Get a good supply of it and work up your loads. Keep a record of times fired, what loads and bullets, times trimmed, etc. Assign each batch (say 50 rds) it's own lot number.

There can be enough difference in brass thickness to equal 2 gr. of powder and effect vel/pressure. Using Winchester (thinner) and Remington (thicker) would produce that condition.

H4350 is a slower burning powder that's at it's best in the '06 with bullets from 165 gr. on up.

My Speer #14 Manual shows it to be efficient in the .270 with 130 gr. bullets--but not the most efficient. But quite suitable.

The type of bullet is more important than the powder you use (for accuracy), and the Nosler BT is an excellent choice, since it's normally very accurate. That wouldn't be my choice for a deer, load, however. BT's can be a destructive and typical 130 gr. bullets are destructive enough on deer sized critters because of their relatively high velocity. At least at closer ranges.

NOTE: Had a friend whose favorite load with 130 gr. bullet was just to scoop in H4831 until it was flush with the case mouth. You can't get too much of the stuff in the case to be unsafe. H4350 is a little faster burning.

Last edited by Nnobby45; January 26, 2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old January 26, 2012, 09:59 PM   #14
warbirdlover

I used to match factory fps etc with Winchester 760 powder and Sierra 130 gr. Was super accurate too. I just liked the way it metered.
Old January 27, 2012, 07:39 PM   #15
hooligan1

Well I found that 53 grns of h4350, kicked --s for the accubond bullets, I started lower of course and worked my way up until this one just felt right. I have shot a group of three shots that measured .217 at one hundred yards. with a "gentely massaged" Savage 110, .270 win. The aol is just .010 off the lands, and CCI large rifle primers, Hornady brass.

Last edited by hooligan1; February 4, 2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old January 27, 2012, 09:48 PM   #16
johnmcgowan

NICE hooligan!!!
Just out of curiosity, did you find a 2nd best load using H4350, if you remember? Mine shot 51.5 grains pretty well, but I think I can get it to group better, that was before I added a pressure point at the end of the barrel....maybe this weekend I can get to go try the ruger out after the pressure point fix and see just which load works best for me.
John

Last edited by johnmcgowan; January 27, 2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old January 27, 2012, 10:45 PM   #17
Johnny Falcon

I've had a lot of success using 50.0 gr of H4350 under the 150 gr. Sierra Gameking--this is with a pre-'64 Model 70.
Old January 28, 2012, 08:15 AM   #18
hooligan1

Second best load??? what? "whatchootalkinbout willis",??? I cannot allow second best, anything between me and dead critters man.... nothing....

( BTW, who keeps track of something we would never use?)
unless you load for your hunting buddy and he seems to miss a great deer every year!

Also I said "gently massaged" Savage 110, I meant that I floated the cheap stock back from the barrel the entire length, and used aluminium stiffeners to sure up the action-screws. It turned this rifle,( that I traded a stuffed bobcat for) into a real decent shooting rifle, actually I'm damn lucky it turned out so well.

this is the rifle, but this scope had to go by by, it now sports a Diamondback, 4x12x40,(wonderful scope man).

Last edited by hooligan1; February 4, 2012 at 03:15 PM.