The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 15, 2008, 01:16 PM   #1
Tempest_inc

6.5mm cartridge imput request

Hello,

I'm looking to build a 6.5mm gun and i can't seem to find a cartridge that will fire the bergre 140g Match VLD bullet at the velocity of ~3600fps. I'm thinking i might have to create my own wildcat in order to get the exterior ballistics I'm looking for. If no one knows of a current wildcat that should be able to propel the 140g bullet to ~3600 fps i would be interested in current cartridges to start with. I'd prefer it to be a short action, but i think i may have to go with a long. The 300RUM or 6.5-284 seemed like a good place to start, but I'm unsure how how to estimate powder usage. I'd like the cartridge to be nearly full to have maximum load density, and remove variations.

If anyone has any input and I'm sure i will plenty, it would be much appreciated.

Steven
Old December 15, 2008, 01:30 PM   #2
Sam06

This is what they say about the 6.5X284. It will not go that fast though but is a good read. Throat wear will be bad with such an overbore cartridge.

http://www.6mmbr.com/SixFive284.html

A 264 win mag will almost get you there. Maybe a 30/378 WM necked to .264 I have not seen that but I will look around. I would not think you will need to invent a new wildcat. I load for a few widcats and I am here to tell you it can be a pain.
Old December 15, 2008, 01:35 PM   #3
Sam06

Found it!

The 6.71 Blackbird. This is a Lazzeroni Cartridge and it will push a 140gr bullet to 3550. Handloading "Should" make it go a little faster or use a longer barrel. I knew it was out there.......................Sam
Old December 15, 2008, 02:43 PM   #4
10 Spot Terminator

+1 on the Lazzeroni. This is the only cartridge currently capable of performance near what you are looking for . Hope you are ready to pay the price for brass and dies. The 6.5-284 wont come close with a bullet that heavy.
Old December 18, 2008, 09:04 AM   #5
Tempest_inc

Reloading Data

Thanks, but I am unable to find any hardloading or cartridge specs. ie. case conversions. If anyone can point me toward some info on the 6.71 Blackbird it would be much appreciated. What is the average life span of a 6.71 Blackbird chambered barrel?

Thank you,
steven

Tags
6.5mm , handloading , wildcat