The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 30, 2005, 12:59 PM   #1
Doug.38PR

CHL instructors: Texas CCW in Hospital

Yesterday, I went to a hospital in Houston. I started to go in with my gun but saw a sign saying (Warning: State Law Prohibits the Carrying of firearms on these premises).
The night before I was reading about the law regarding churches, hosptials, nursing homes, etc.. For the hospital it did say you can't carry unless you have written permission. Signs are required but it shall not apply unless it falls under 30.06. Was this Warning sign a valid way to keep my gun out? How does the law work for hosptials?
I'm told unless it has the 30.06 language than it is not valid.
I figured I PROBABLY had the law on my side according to how I read the law in the manuel, but just to be safe, I put the gun back in the car.
Old November 30, 2005, 01:29 PM   #2
Glenn E. Meyer

Didn't your CHL instructor go over this? He or she should have.
Old November 30, 2005, 02:58 PM   #3
Doug.38PR

Oh he told me that you can't carry in Hosptials, Churches, Amusement Parks and Nursing homes (PERIOD). Unless I had written permission
I've been told by other people and then finally went back to the handgun chl booklet myself and looked it up and it seems to say that you can in fact carry in those places unless signs are posted prohibiting them....the hosptial one in particular is a little confusing in it's language and the language on the door that I describe in my original post.

Churches that have private schools located on their campus are a little confusing too. They have no 30.06 but they have a school on about a quarter of their campus building
Old November 30, 2005, 03:35 PM   #4
Glenn E. Meyer

If he did not completely and correctly describe the actual laws, you should report him.
Old November 30, 2005, 04:08 PM   #5
pax

Quote:
If he did not completely and correctly describe the actual laws, you should report him.
How helpful.

Glenn, why not answer the guy's question?

pax
Old November 30, 2005, 05:21 PM   #6
Glenn E. Meyer

Oops, sorry to be cranky! My opinion is worth what you paid for it. One can reference the laws on the TX state site.

There has to be a proper 30.06 sign on the hospital entrances to prevent carry based on the sign. You don't have to get written permission.

My comment about the instructor was because in TX, extreme care and effort was put into designing the law and in its revisions to make the signs extremely well defined to avoid any doubt. I know a guy from the TX CHL instructors association and one thing folks wanted to accomplish with the revision was to get rid of those silly red circle line/gun signs and make any place that wanted to ban really put an explicit and ugly sign in front. My doctor's building has one and you can miss it. It is perfect.

Same argument went with churches.

Given carry is a life or death issue and also has legal penalties if you get it wrong - an instructor licensed by the state who has it so wrong is a threat to his or her students and the structure of CHL.

On the other hand, I should have explained it more.
Old December 1, 2005, 11:46 PM   #7
Greybeard

FWIW, I recall from a couple years ago when that very last paragraph in 46.035 had to be called to the attention of a legal speaker at a DPS "original" instructor school ! Friend of mine said he nearly got kicked out of class for arguing about it with the woman who was teaching it wrong!