The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 4, 2002, 12:34 AM   #1
Morpheus32

Spare Parts

Need to get some advice from the forum.

Let say you had two shotguns. A Rem 870 and a 11-87. You are going on an expedition and you will be going into the bush for an extended period of time without contact with the outside world. What spare parts would you recommend for the 870 and 11-87 to keep it functional for an extended duration? Probably don't need much but what would be useful to have on hand just in case. Any advice would be appreciated.

Jeff
Old December 4, 2002, 05:50 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Since 870s do not break often, I'd just leave the 11-87 and take the 870. If I was going to be back of beyond for an extended period of time, I'd take another 870.

Rare but known with 870s are broken firing pins and ejectors. A spare bolt would cover both of these.

HTH...
Old December 4, 2002, 06:00 PM   #3
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

I did break an 870 firing pin once. Ordered another 1/2 dozen - they fit both my 20s & 12s - good deal & figure I'm covered for the next 250 years.

If you leave the mag tube stuffed, might want to have an extra mag spring.
Old December 4, 2002, 06:37 PM   #4
C.R.Sam

Gonna carry two shotguns ?
I'm with Dave, carry twins.

That way you'd have to break the same thing twice before getting into trouble. Long odds.

Sam
Old December 4, 2002, 10:40 PM   #5
Morpheus32

The question was never to imply that I was going to carry two shotguns. Just looking for spare parts recomendations for the two different shotguns for extended periods. I have a couple of 870s and I have little concerns of breakage but I do like the idea of having a spare bolt. I am one of those guys who like having spare parts on hand. Just in case. I live north of the border and we had a bit of scare when parts started getting restricted coming across the border. Appreciate your thoughts, it is a question I want answered so I can worry about something else!

Jeff
Old December 4, 2002, 10:48 PM   #6
C.R.Sam

Jeff....
Oh, gonna take one gun.

In that case; how bout takin the pick of the 870s and guttin the other for spares. Bolt, trigger assy, mag spring etc. ?

Sam