The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 3, 2001, 10:21 AM   #1
Poodleshooter

I've been thinking about running up some buckshot loads on my trusty LoadAllII. I'd like to run up a nice traditional 8-9 pellet load of OO, so using plastic wads is probably out due to space considerations. I haven't been able to find a good price on nitro card or felt overpowder wads to use, but all of the data I have requires them. Has anyone experimented making their own wads from waxed or unwaxed cardboard? If not for overpowder, does anyone use "homemade" cardboard as spacer wads to get better crimps, or as overshot wads using roll crimps?
Yes, I'm just trying to be cheap again...
Old May 3, 2001, 03:26 PM   #2
TEXAS LAWMAN

I've used wads cut from the backs of tablets (as in legal tablets). Sometimes the wads are so thin that I stack two or more over the powder/under the shot.
Old May 3, 2001, 05:11 PM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

As with Texas Lawman, I've used the backs of tablets, or any hard core cardboard.

I've also used paper milk cartons.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 3, 2001, 08:46 PM   #4
Big Bunny

Yes ...I punch my own out of an old estate agent's sign made of corflute.

But the WAA 1- 1/4 OZ plastic wad can accommodate X9 of '00'/SG......I did it last week quite OK!No extra wadding needed. No leading either!They do look so cute snuggling neatly in 3 lots of 3 in the wad too!!!

Pattern at 25m was only 7 av. on a standard SSF paper target out of a 30R Bentley with cyl bore, 25gn my normal GDot charge...any hints to improve the group anyone?
Old May 3, 2001, 09:08 PM   #5
dick w. holliday

what i've done in the past is to weigh the bukshot pellets i want to put in a case and then use data for that weight....my recollection is that most of the times what i wanted to put in the case was about 1.5 oz...so i used the 1.5oz data and put the buckshot in the wad. i think i used the winchester red wad because it is short. Seems like you could only put two pellets on each level using OO so i think went to O or #1 because i could get 3 on each level..if you decide you want card wads try Precision Reloading they've got bunches of them....Just had a thought..They sell something called a Helix Platform which is basically a wad similar to a AA but has no fingers around the shot..i never got around to using them for buckshot but i suspect they would do fine....Dick

P.S> i've got some of the helix platforms--email me and i'll sent you some to play with...
Old May 4, 2001, 10:52 AM   #6
Poodleshooter

Ah, legal tablet cardboard-good idea!! Got tons of those around.
Big Bunny WAA12R's (the red ones for magnum shot loads)? I've got plenty of those! You did this with Green Dot!? That would be great, as I'm currently using that as my default powder. I wasn't looking forward to having to buy HS-6 or 7 as a "buckshot only powder". I need more load manuals....
Dick: I've heard that the pressures are different with buckshot as opposed to regular shot loads, even with same wieght charges. At any rate, it probably isn't too much of an issue with shotguns. Precision is expensive! That's why I'm looking for cheap ideas for practice combat loads. I've thought about chopping fingers off of the WAA12R wads and using an overshot card to keep the crimp ok. That would be a lot cheaper than the expensive wads. I wonder what this would do to the pattern? Maybe the fingers, which are designed to keep small shot together, yet make loading buck a little too tight, actually contribute to crushing large buckshot and degrade patterns??? Hmmmmm. much reloading to be done now....
Old May 4, 2001, 01:29 PM   #7
TEXAS LAWMAN

Mike, watch those milk CARTONS--lots of the "aseptic" packaging materials (paper milk cartons, juice cartons--a company called Tetra-Pak makes them in Texas) are paper laminates coated with plastic--the plastic might build up in the bore.

PoodleS..., now you've gone and got me interested in loading buck loads on my Mec Versamec loader. I'll disect some 00Buck loads to see just how they are constructed. I have several sacks of the thick over-powder wads (Federal, I think) and the thinner over-shot wads which I used to use -- maybe these will work with the Buck loads.
Old May 4, 2001, 09:52 PM   #8
dick w. holliday

i've cut the fingers off the red wads before and seems like i remember picking some of them up after shooting and my recollection is that they looked like they had rolled over or something when fired because they were distorted like something had gone wrong while in the bore...anyway at 25 yards there was no such thing as a pattern with them.....i just crimped as is with nothing on top of pellets and crimps looked ok....shooting was done in cyl bore.....As always when i load something i load a bunch of them and they came in handy after hurricane Fran...i had a bunch of big limbs and tops of trees cracked over that needed to come down....that's when the Remington 1100 tree pruner was put to the test....My homemade buckshot and full choke did the trick......Dick