The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 20, 2012, 04:42 PM   #1
HighValleyRanch

My 9 yr old grandson's new sniper rifle-almost finished!

For a shop project, My grandson, Owen asked me if we could build a wood rifle.
I had him look through some old American Rifleman, and he found this article about the Seal Sniper team.
The gun is based on a Remington 700 action.
So we are copying fairly closely the pic that he chose.

The project is a lesson in using shop tools as well as PATIENCE!!
He keeps asking me, when it is going to get done, and I keep at a steady slow pace, each day, doing only a little on it.
I measured him and the stock is built to his proportions and everything else is scaled down for that.

The first barrel was sliced to fit, but my wife sat on it when it was under some pillows on the couch, and the barrel broke! So this morning I inletted the stock for a full strength barrel.
Barrel is 3/4 inch hardwood dowel, and the rifle is cut from one solid piece of alder wood. After it is finished, Owen is going to camo the whole thing, and I'm mounting an old cheap Tasco scope on it.

Look at the detail of the picatinny rail! Right now, even the scope rings fit as is, but we plan on inletting two metal portions screwed in for the real scope mount for strength.
I mortised out the mag carrier so that even a wood magazine is removable. And the under side has a mortised T rail cut right into the wood as a bipod rail for a removable bipod.
That wire bipod is only temporary until we make on out of wood.

Still quife a few more hours to put into this project.
Tonight we are shaping the stock. Look at the trigger cutouts!
Thought you might enjoy seeing this.

Last edited by HighValleyRanch; July 22, 2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old July 20, 2012, 05:20 PM   #2
shamaz

Wow! That's amazing, HV. What a fantastic project and fun way to bond with your grandson.
Old July 20, 2012, 05:30 PM   #3
Nine the Ranger

Wow, just wow.
Old July 20, 2012, 05:36 PM   #4
Botswana

That is awesome.

I once heard if you don't let boys play with guns, they'll just eat their sandwich into the shape of a gun and then point it at things. Probably true more often then not.

So with that in mind, that is going to be one happy little grandson.
Old July 20, 2012, 05:45 PM   #5
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
I once heard if you don't let boys play with guns, they'll just eat their sandwich into the shape of a gun and then point it at things. Probably true more often then not.
Yeah, when he was six, his parents didn't want any gun toys. So one day, up at the cabin in the mountains, he said,
"pappy, come over here and see my collection."
He had gathered a bunch of wood that were pistol shape and that was his pistol collection!

Now, I bought my son a glock for his 40th, so my grandson can now have toy guns and they bought him some airsoft. He brought up a 1911 and AR15 airsoft, but somehow, he's been mostly playing with the new sniper rifle.
He had some camo netting a little while ago that he wrapped the rifle up in!

My dad was a competition bullseye shooter so I got to grow up around guns.
American rifleman was on our coffee table. So when the grandson comes up, he can be free to enjoy the gun nut world, and along with that he is learning gun safety.

I'll post more pics as we work on it. He is only here two more days, so we gotta get going on it!
Old July 20, 2012, 09:00 PM   #6
Achilles11B

Wait, no muzzle device? He's going to develop a mean flinch...

That's really impressive. Any plans on painting it?
Old July 20, 2012, 09:17 PM   #7
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
Any plans on painting it?
He has his heart set on woodland camo.

We might put a muzzle break or silencer on the front, but the one in the pic shows none.
Old July 20, 2012, 09:28 PM   #8
Creeper

Quote:
He has his heart set on woodland camo.
Too bad... I'd love to see it stained and varnished. Never the less... a wonderful thing to do.

Cheers,
C
Old July 20, 2012, 11:27 PM   #9
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
My mother is a school psychologist and was vehemently anti-toy gun when I was born. For my third or fourth Christmas she bought me a toy tool set. I opened it up, immediately grabbed the toy power drill, and started to run around the room saying "pow pow pow" and shooting everything moving or still. She exhaled and said "I give up" right there. Next week I had a rubber band gun my grandfather crafted. I can tell you, a rubber band rifle will get more mileage than a model.

http://surefireproducts.com/html/pricing_order.html
With less skill than you have already exhibited, you can take their bluieprints and build any sort of rubber band gun you want around the action. Excellent for flies.
Old July 21, 2012, 07:11 AM   #10
swopjan

looks good, while it may not get as much "mileage" as a rubber band gun I'm certain it will have a place in his room and make a good conversation piece for years to come. not to mention the grandpa time you get to spend.
Old July 21, 2012, 10:41 PM   #11
HighValleyRanch

Progress

We worked on it late this evening.
I even had Owen cut out the rough bolt on the band saw and jig saw, and cut the bolt hole in the stock with the drill press.

Made the bolt (not enough time to making a working action) and some rough details of bolt inletting in the stock and action, and worked on the grip area some more.Just a generalized bolt action detail.

Its almost done, except for the final sanding, stippling and camo spray coat.
And the bipod which will be made out of wood and slides into the T slot on the forearm under rail slot.

Wow, this is so cooool, that I am going to have to make one for Pappy's wall hanging too!
Pic taken in the fading light, so some better pics tomorrow.

Owen is leaving Monday, so only one more day to complete it.

Notice that I inletted an actual weaver rail into the wood picatinny rail for the red dot mount.
We decided that a big tasco scope is going to be overkill, and he wouldn't be able to play at short distances, so a cheap dot is on order.
In the mean time he can play with the real Ultradot that's in the pic.

Old July 22, 2012, 11:28 AM   #12
Mobuck

Since I'm not that handy at wood working, when my younger Son wanted a more realistic "toy rifle", I just took an old 93 Mauser that had a rusted out bore, cut 1/4" off the firing pin, and handed it to him. Gave him a bayonet that fit it, too. Can't get more realistic than that w/o ammo. Oh wait, I gave him some dummy ammo but he ended up losing that in tall grass.
Old July 22, 2012, 04:03 PM   #13
4V50 Gary
Staff

Try making a stamped steel trigger guard and a trigger. It would really enhance that wood gun. Will his next gun be a crew served M-2?
Old July 22, 2012, 05:24 PM   #14
HighValleyRanch

Except for the wood bipod which we are making this evening, the rifle is sanded, stippled and finished and waiting for the camo spray coat.
Wanted to take a pic in the "White" because it shows the details better.
Old July 24, 2012, 11:45 AM   #15
HighValleyRanch

Finished!

Here is the final product.
A good lesson for kids that one can make things totally from scratch instead of the store bought society that we have become.

Owen did the camo paint job himself!
We think it came out pretty nice.

The inscription on the mag carrier reads:
MFD. 2012
by Owen & Pappy
Old July 24, 2012, 12:21 PM   #16
Jerry45

That is just so COOL beyond words.
Old July 24, 2012, 01:33 PM   #17
aarondhgraham

Way Kewl!,,,

I guarantee that gun will be with him for a lifetime.

I still have (stored in my sisters attic) the firecracker powered match-lock muzzle loader my Pop made for me back in the 60's.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old July 24, 2012, 04:19 PM   #18
Red Dog

I thought my playdough one was good!!!!!
Old July 24, 2012, 05:35 PM   #19
Botswana

Ya'know, with all the other work it didn't really need the actual bolt handle. That's just a cherry on the top. The rail and scope are frosting.

That is a pretty good camo job. I remember doing something similar to a pellet rifle many years ago. With a little bit of forethought and planning you can pull off a decent camo scheme. Ours wasn't quite so good, your little man should be pretty proud of himself.
Old July 24, 2012, 07:56 PM   #20
rgillis

What a great gift from grandpa! If my granddad had given me something like that, it would have an honored spot in the collection
Old July 24, 2012, 11:58 PM   #21
okie24

You are one fine craftsman sir.
Old July 25, 2012, 03:00 AM   #22
GM2

You might want to save the pattern just in case another grandson comes along or (in my case) a gun loving granddaughter.
Old July 25, 2012, 03:43 AM   #23
38splfan

Fantastic!

That's a fantastic finished product and I'm sure it will outlast any toy you can buy today. What a great way to spend time with your grandson and teach him a thing or two, as well. My grandfather did the same for me growing up and I promise your grandson will remember this his whole life.

Well done indeed.
Old July 25, 2012, 11:05 PM   #24
Willie Lowman

My grandpa made a wooden rifle much like that for me years ago. He also made a wooden revolver with a cylinder that would spin.

I wish I had them now.