The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 3, 2016, 02:02 PM   #26
runningbear

Problem many find after buying these imported and rebuilt to comply with 922r, is many have poor American non chrome lined bbl.s, also many are poorly reworked and don't work well if they even work.
You need to really see what you'r buying and inspect it really well.
I have seen many AKs at many firearm shows, and can tell you the dealers are many times trying to pawn off really junk on people.
Really look close at the Century brand AKs.
Old February 3, 2016, 02:22 PM   #27
Mrgunsngear

DDIs are good rifles. A couple of the videos posted on the last page are mine and I've been very impressed with DDI's build quality. If you're okay with a non chromed barrel (stated in the OP) then DDI's a great rifle in your budget.
Old February 3, 2016, 02:25 PM   #28
Skarekrow88

Quote:
Are the DDI's good guns? Seems like they might be.
Are my posts not showing up?
Old February 3, 2016, 02:34 PM   #29
runningbear

Yes they are showing and the URL is working.
Old February 3, 2016, 02:42 PM   #30
Model12Win

Bear is right. Sorry!

I just need vindication. So the DDI guns have that tennifer type coating in them. All I have read says that is even better than chrome lining. Think I'm going to have to do what DMK recommended, using a Russian surplus plum stock set... Which is already on its way to my house LOL!

I dont need the worlds greatest AK, just a reliable and decently made one.
Old February 3, 2016, 04:15 PM   #31
Fishbed77

Quote:
A WASR 10 is the best that can be had for $800?

I find that somewhat hard to believe.
Believe it.

The QC on these rifles has improved greatly in the last few years. You are also getting a cold-hammer forged chrome-lined barrel, which is becoming a rarity on AKs in this price range.

AK Operator's Union on Youtube has a good video of how well one of these rifles holds up to hard use, and the knowledgeable folks over at AKfiles are pretty unanimous these days on the quality of current WASRs.
Old February 3, 2016, 04:48 PM   #32
Skarekrow88

Quote:
I dont need the worlds greatest AK, just a reliable and decently made one.
What you just described there is a DDI.

Quote:
The QC on these rifles has improved greatly in the last few years. You are also getting a cold-hammer forged chrome-lined barrel, which is becoming a rarity on AKs in this price range.

AK Operator's Union on Youtube has a good video of how well one of these rifles holds up to hard use, and the knowledgeable folks over at AKfiles are pretty unanimous these days on the quality of current WASRs.
Fishbed is right. QC has reportedly gotten better and AKOU has given them the seal of approval but they have also had even better things to say about DDI. For the same price point I cannot see why anyone would go with a WASR over a DDI. If WASRs were still 500-600 like they should be then sure I could understand that but the overall fit, finish, and attention to detail on a DDI will definitely be better than anything I've seen Century put out. If you ask me, everything you're getting with a DDI > chrome-lined barrel on a WASR.

If/when I have to get my AK re-barreled I will be talking to DDI about it.
Old February 3, 2016, 08:55 PM   #33
runningbear

I just found this onCcenterfire Systems site, i have bought from them before not my AKs but they are honest and easy to deal with.
check out this Romanian WASR-10 AK47 7.62x39 Rifle with Bayonet Lug at $600.
http://www.centerfiresystems.com/AKAGUN20.aspx
Old February 3, 2016, 11:07 PM   #34
Model12Win

Thanks guys, I've heard enough good about the DDI guns to buy one.

I'm getting the one that doesn't come with furniture. I have a Russian plum colored stock set coming in the mail for it. I like that fact that they supposedly have good customer support, and the guns do well in various test people have put them through.

UPDATE: Just got one from AGS. Hope it works okay! I think it will look nice with the authentic Russian plum stock.

As an aside, does anybody know of a good deal on metal milsurp AK mags that are good to go? I will need some.

Last edited by Model12Win; February 3, 2016 at 11:29 PM.
Old February 4, 2016, 02:57 AM   #35
drobs

Model12Win,

Does the DDI AK you bought have a stamped receiver or milled receiver?
Milled receiver AK's use a different style of buttstock.

Regarding mags - I think Aim Surplus had decent prices on Combloc steel mags.
There are also some Yugo / Serbian Bolt hold open follower mags out there.
I'd recommend you buy and try one before buying in bulk on the Yugo mags. I have one that won't fit in any of my AKM's.
Old February 4, 2016, 09:46 AM   #36
Skans

Century Arms is putting out a milled underfolder for under $700. Nice! Probably doesn't have a chrome lined barrel, but otherwise, this seems like a great value.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=540724827
Old February 4, 2016, 06:43 PM   #37
Model12Win

Drobs: I bought the stamped rifle. Thanks!
Old February 4, 2016, 08:00 PM   #38
runningbear

Here is a post that may shed some light on the Fenocite and other Gas based nitriding systems.
http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=178205
Old February 4, 2016, 08:24 PM   #39
Model12Win

Thanks RB, that was a great read. Seems like the fenocite is G2G, if long haul wear resistance might not be as good.
Old February 7, 2016, 01:00 PM   #40
Model12Win

Thanks gang. The rifle and all parts needed for the furniture are currently in transit. I should have everything assembled and cleaned by this weekend, for the gun's first range report.
Old February 8, 2016, 09:52 AM   #41
P71pilot

Wasr10s are no longer available and of you find one it will be a mix of romanian and usa made parts. Usa made parts being the weak link. Honestly i would avoid a usa made ak unless it comes with a lifetime warranty and the customer service of said companyis known to be good. I woukd suggest a russian saiga if you can find one. Factory new made in the same plant in russia that has been making aks since mikhail (rest in peace) invented them. Bulgarians are also really nice, so are polish and egyptian AKs. The market really is almost completely dry of NON-USA Aks. If you want to buy new, you will have to pretty much settle for a usa made ak. If you cab find a saiga, it will not accept standars ak mags until properly converted, and saiga type mags can be a little pricey. I have a saiga and did the pistol grip/trigger and stock conversion as well as the magazine and bullet guide conversion and also the handguard conversion. What i ended up with is a very fine rifle and i pretty much built it. Love my saiga and all said and done i have about $800 into it
Old February 8, 2016, 10:35 PM   #42
Fishbed77

Quote:
Wasr10s are no longer available and of you find one it will be a mix of romanian and usa made parts. Usa made parts being the weak link.
They are still available online from various vendors.

WASRs are all-new rifles made in Romania by Cugir, with just enough US parts added by Century to make them 922r complaint. All the parts that matter (barrel, receiver, bolt, carrier, trunnions) are made by Cugir in Romania.
Old February 8, 2016, 11:05 PM   #43
Model12Win

Thanks for the replies gang.

My DDI stamped AK will be arriving at my FFL dealer's shop on Wednesday. I have a nice Russian plum colored polymer stock set, some Hungarian steel magazines, and a nice Russian canvas AKM sling all ready to go. Just hoping I won't have to send the gun back or something. I hear these are good guns for the money.

PS: I messaged DDI about keeping the rifle 922r compliant. He says that I should be good to go, the pistol grip in the stock set I bought is an American made plum one that matches the Russian made handguards and stock perfectly. Even using the foreign made mags will still make the gun 922r compliant.
Old February 9, 2016, 12:18 AM   #44
drobs

If you still have a little $ left over and want to snag another AK - I'd recommend you hop on a Serbian M92 AK pistol. They are selling for $549 on a couple websites right now.

I don't think these things will be around for ever.

I like mine.

Contemplating buying another for investment purposes.
Old February 9, 2016, 12:23 AM   #45
Model12Win

Thanks Drobs, I've spent as much as my budget allows though.

I just want to get to know this platform and get effective hits out to 300 meters.
Old February 9, 2016, 01:05 AM   #46
drobs

Shouldn't have a problem to 300 meters. Last outing at a formal range I was hitting steel out to about 400yds with my Sar-1. My Russian Kobra Red Dot was washing out at anything past that.

If you haven't done so already, get yourself c-clamp style sight adjustment tool.

Random Example.

Bring a short piece of pipe or box end wrench with you to use as a cheater bar to adjust your windage via the front sight drum on the range.