The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 25, 2013, 05:44 PM   #1
Homerboy

Proper Ammo in an M1?

Getting older and shoot less often. I have over 1200 rounds of AR ammo and an Ar that gets maybe 200 rounds a year. I'm thinking of consolidating and going for the M1. I'm looking at the CMP Special M1. Is there a limitation on 30-06 ammo for the Garand? I'be always wanted one, and just feel like there is one rifle that everybody should own, and that is the M1. Just love to hear that PING as the clip ejects.
Old February 25, 2013, 06:47 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Yes, there is. The M1 (the "Garand", in case anyone is confused) has a fixed port size and does not have a gas cutoff and expansion system like the M14. It was designed to function within fairly narrow limits of pressure and bullet weight, as well as a limited range of powders. For reliable feeding, the COAL (cartridge overall length) and bullet shape should conform to GI specs.

While many owners have used reloads outside those ranges and claim they have had no problems, it is best to stay close to the specifications of the GI M1 Ball and M2 Ball cartridges. That would mean a 150-165 grain pointed bullet with about 46 grains of a powder like 4895 for a muzzle velocity of around 2650 fps. Understand, these figures are approximate and you should consult a loading manual for specific data.

Jim
Old February 25, 2013, 06:48 PM   #3
Homerboy

So what commercially available ammo fits those specs? I read you can get an adjustable gas plug to expand the choices. Don't want to get a rifle and then have a hard time finding ammo.
Old February 25, 2013, 07:24 PM   #4
bbman25

Try looking for Federal American Eagle 30-06 Garand loads. they have it made specificly for the M1.
I believe Hornady also has a line of ammo for older rifles, Graf & Sons. you might try them. I found ammo for my 7.7 Jap from the Graf & Sons line, it shoots well.

Otherwise, Surplus is about as good as it gets as far as the best stuff to shoot, uou can find loads of it at just about any gun show. or this site:

http://www.ammogarand.com/

I bought alot of parts and the like from him, he has reasonable prices and great service.
Old February 25, 2013, 08:10 PM   #5
chris in va

Both CMP stores sell Garand-specific 30'06 ammo. I highly recommend you take the pilgrimage to the physical store if it's within reasonable driving distance.

Get there first thing in the morning. I showed up around noon and some dealer bought every Service Grade and M1 Carbine they had. Very irritated but got a nice Field grade anyway.

If you get one of the adjustable gas plugs, regular FMJ 150gr off the shelf can be used. Really though it may be worth it to get a Hand Press and make your own. Plenty of folks on here can send you cases cheap. Heck I'll step up and send some if you go that route.

BTW I have a lot more fun with the M1 than my AR. Something so basic, primal and historic about the rifle. I always ask if a young person at the range would like to try it. The grin is priceless.
Old February 25, 2013, 08:16 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

The only person I know who hates the M1 is the governor of New York, who set his 7-round magazine limit specifically to ban that rifle.

Jim
Old February 28, 2013, 05:08 AM   #7
bamaranger

feeding it

If your going to buy a rifle from CMP you might as well buy some of their ammo as well and be done with it.

The other option is the Hornady and Federal fodder made up same same.

The high port pressure issue with commercial ammo intended for bolt and sporting rifles is real and best avoided. A bent op rod may result, an expenive repair. Also sporting primers may be a bit soft and risk slam fires with the wang bang action of the Garand. A slamfire may cost you more than a new part.. ..if you get my drift.
Old February 28, 2013, 05:18 AM   #8
bamaranger

load for it

Lots of guys reload for the Garand, but done correctly, its not as simple a task as just reducing the powder charge to get the correct velocity.

Not trying to sound cool, simply advising the Garand reloads need to be done by somebody who understands the system and ammo's peculiarities. That's a topic for another forum.
Old February 28, 2013, 06:10 AM   #9
Sport45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaranger
If your going to buy a rifle from CMP you might as well buy some of their ammo as well and be done with it.
I agree. The HXP they sell is good stuff. You won't get a full can of the same headstamp, but I imagine it will be fine for what was described in the OP.
Old February 28, 2013, 09:07 AM   #10
Ronbert

Since nobody has really said it - the ammo issue has to do with the firing pressure and the rate of rise in the pressure and the fact that the operating rod is driven by gas tapped off the barrel.
Too much pressure or too fast a pressure rise and operating rod damage can occur.

Use the right ammo and all is well.

One funny thing about Garands - they make me talk to them! I ask them questions about where they've been and what they've seen and who looked after them before they came into my possession. So far they haven't answered but my imagination fills in the gap........

Does your AR make you do that??? :-)
Old February 28, 2013, 02:11 PM   #11
gdvan01

You can get a ported gas plug:

http://www.garandgear.com/index.php?...arand&catid=39

Proud Son of a former Tomb Guard
Old March 2, 2013, 01:45 AM   #12
bamaranger

say what

I wish mine could talk. Buried up in the stock along one side are a number of pinhead size metal fragments. Found them when I refinished the stock. Could be grit from a bench....but could be who knows what? Receiver and barrel are both from the WWII era. Could not make out the cartouches.
Old March 3, 2013, 10:43 PM   #13
bcarver

3 choices

sulplus ammo. safe and cheap.
"garand" specific new ammo like "honady garand". safe but expensive.
reloading- requires a little more research than normal but should be both safe and cheap if you have the knowledge and skills.
Old March 3, 2013, 11:52 PM   #14
HiBC

I recently aquired a CMP special.I'm happy with my choice.

While it is very true that the ammo must be appropriate for an M-1,IMO,its not a big deal.

4895 powder is what the original powder was.

Folks have been shooting handloads in Hi-Power competition using Garands for a long time.

I'm saying you do not have to re-invent the wheel.

As the adjustable gas plugs are not CMP legal,I think I'll pass on them.(Unless you need to shoot some hunting loads)

If you can find some of the white box CCI mil spec primers,thats a good choice.

IMR 4895,from what I have read,is one of the better choices.I believe 4064is also a top choice.

30 cal 150 gr fmj's,and 150,155,168 gr match bullets from Nosler Custom Comp,Sierra,Hornady,etc are in the zone.If you will be shooting over 600 yds,you might consider the 175 gr Matchking.

Proper powder and bullet weights,and accept original velocities or slightly less,no abuse is going on.

There is a book you may be able to find"Precision Shooting's Guide to Reloading for High Power Competition" or something like that,is a good reference.

One tool they strongly advocate is the RCBS Precision mic.(Other tools work.This is the tool recomended by the book)This tool allows you to carefully monitor how much you set the shoulder back when you resize.Too much,and brass life suffers.Not enough,the ammo is too tight,and you can be almost locked up,but not quite.

Actually,learning the skills to properly feed your Garand will make you a better ammo crafter.

I'm entering into choosing my own load,I have to experiment some.I can tell you there is a Hornady match 165 or 168 that is pretty reasonably priced,and IMO,as the Garand is a battle rifle,not a bench gun,accuracy will be fine....I think.
Old March 4, 2013, 12:11 AM   #15
NWPilgrim

Proper Ammo in an M1?

Get as much of the surplus Greek HXP you can from CMP when you get your rifle. It us only $.50/rd compared to $1.50/rd commercially. It is also pretty darn accurate for milspec FMJ.

Reloading you want bullets 150-168 gr (some go 175 but I see no reason unless you are very serious competitor on 600 yds line). You want powders in the IMR3031 - Varget range. Load reduced level from commercial so you get no more than 2,700 fps with 150 gr and 2600 fps with 168 gr. that is a conservative rule, there are faster safe loads but these will for sure be safe with the powders and bullets mentioned.

Some of the most popular powders are IMR 4895 and 4064 and H4895 and Varget. I find Varget works best with 168 gr BTHP in mine.

Hornady manual has excellent section on loading for the Garand.
Old March 5, 2013, 03:39 AM   #16
Ignition Override

Homerboy:

This shouldn't be necessary when dealing with the CMP, but I Always buy ammo first, after making a firm decision concerning which type of gun to buy. No exceptions, other than with a CMP Garand.

This policy paid off well when buying my first Enfield in April '09.
Samco was selling out of All of their surplus .303 that month.
Days after my 1,000-rd. case of ammo arrived, their .303 ammo was all gone.

Ever notice the patterns of eight tiny holes in Garand stocks? My Service Grade has them. They can be hard to notice in dark, dinged wood.
They were made by people jamming a clip of ammo onto the wood, to ensure that the bullets were seated in the clips.
A very experienced, retired shooter told me that it is a bad technique, which increases case pressure an Unknown amount.

It certainly indicates contempt for the wood. Maybe it happened in a foreign country.

Last edited by Ignition Override; March 5, 2013 at 03:47 AM.