The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 23, 2012, 11:21 AM   #1
jjyergler

I'd like to talk about rear sights.

I have a 6920, and I'm wanting a rear sight to replace the carry handle sight. I'm looking at the Troy DOA, I kind of like the square aperture idea, but does anyone have any experience with that, or are there any other fixed or folding rear sights that anyone has experience with and can give real pros and cons for?

Thanks in advance.
Hi Standard Supermatic Citation .22LR - Tincans Beware
Old December 23, 2012, 11:25 AM   #2
chris in va

The standard apeture hole size on my S&W was a bit large to be a true peep so I ordered a smaller 'match' one from midway. Helped a lot with iron sight accuracy if that's what you're after.
Old December 23, 2012, 11:48 AM   #3
jjyergler

Thanks.

Does your Smith have a flip aperture? What brand did you buy?
Old December 24, 2012, 02:30 AM   #4
the led farmer

If you are looking for all the capabilities of the carry handle sight without the carry handle here ya go:
lmtL8

Using this method :revised improved battle sight zero with practice a shooter can be effective from 0-600 meters with iron sights

Personally my sights aren't a backup. My $.02
Old December 24, 2012, 07:18 AM   #5
DnPRK

Round apertures have been the standard for over 100 years for a reason.

When you focus on the front sight, the rear aperture is an out-of-focus circle and alignment is easy -- post centered in circle.

With a diamond-shaped aperture, it is difficult to find the center for proper sight alignment.

My rifles have the Troy's folding rear battle sight with round aperture.
Old December 26, 2012, 01:37 PM   #6
BoomieMCT

I have the Troy DOA rear site on a 16" Middy. I like it a lot. I think it might be a little easier for precision work and definately no worse than a traditional round site.

It is the primary site on that gun, not a BUIS.
Old December 26, 2012, 02:06 PM   #7
Erno86

I've heard that the Magpul sight's, survive a drop test better than the metal Troy sight's; though the Magpul front sight may melt over a very hot barrel.
Old December 26, 2012, 06:48 PM   #8
jjyergler

So far so good.

I like the info, but I'll wait to see who else chimes in.

I guess it's completely a matter of choice, as DnPRK and Boomie say exactly the opposite, I tend to not go for the "new thing," because things are usually done one way for a reason.

Anyone else out there with an opinion?
Old December 27, 2012, 01:37 AM   #9
Quentin2

I have three Magpul MBUS2 rear sights and am happy with them, under $60, dual aperture, hold zero plus tough and light. What's not to like!
Old December 27, 2012, 01:57 AM   #10
Dr Big Bird PhD

I would make the decision on what aperture you feel like compliments your forward sight the best, and what role your iron sights are going to be. Co-witness, strictly back up, main sights, etc.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old December 28, 2012, 10:11 AM   #11
BoomieMCT

Another thread on another forum came to the same conclusion about the DOA - 1/3 liked it, 1/3 hated it, 1/3 said it was about the same as a round aperature. I'd shoulder one or try it out first.

My Troy is fixed so I don't think dropping it will knock it out of zero. I swapped the front pin with a .072 round dot (bead?) and that's about as good as it gets irons-wise as far as I am concerned. It would be cool if the ball was brass but whatevs.

My only complaint about the Troy DOA is that it has no elevation adjustment. This limits what front sights you can use as a lot of the trijicon, fiberoptic or crosshair type fronts have greater than 1 MOA adjustments (as they are not symmetrical on all four sides), which might not be good enough.
Old December 28, 2012, 10:17 AM   #12
loose_holster_dan

the eye likes to focus on concentric circles. using a circular aperture is just helping your eye focus on it's target.

i like this one. lets me do long or short range without adjusting or compensating.
http://www.amazon.com/Defense-Rotary.../dp/B002QF08U4
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old December 28, 2012, 11:39 AM   #13
RC20

Quote:
I've heard that the Magpul sight's, survive a drop test better than the metal Troy sight's; though the Magpul front sight may melt over a very hot barrel.
My cheap UTGs work better than the Magpuls. Not sure why but a better sight picture. Magpul purely as backup. Cost is good but I don't like htem. UTG I can shoot ok with.

And heard is a rumor. Unless there is hard facts it should not be repeated.

If its mounted on a rail it is not going to melt regardless.
Old December 29, 2012, 10:57 AM   #14
Theohazard

Yeah, the only way a Magpul front sight would melt when mounted on a rail is if you completely overheated and ruined your barrel in the process.

And I saw a review on here a while back where a Magpul front sight was mounted directly on the gas block and the reviewer tried to melt it. I can't remember how many rounds he put through the rifle, but the heat only changed the sight's zero; the sight didn't melt and was fine afterward.
Old December 29, 2012, 06:52 PM   #15
danco

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomieMCT View Post
My only complaint about the Troy DOA is that it has no elevation adjustment. This limits what front sights you can use as a lot of the trijicon, fiberoptic or crosshair type fronts have greater than 1 MOA adjustments (as they are not symmetrical on all four sides), which might not be good enough.
I like the DOA on my 6920, which has a standard FSB. I just use the front post to set elevation...
Old December 29, 2012, 07:01 PM   #16
B. Lahey

I have used the Troy (normal aperture) and YHM backup flippysights. They both work fine, although I do like having an elevation adjustment on the rear sight. Adjusting the front sight for elevation isn't a big deal, it's just a personal preference.