The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 2, 1999, 01:15 PM   #1
Bob C

After some time, i'm back to lubricating cases ( for a 357SIG). I used Lee's water-based lube, and cleaned the cases after sizing in water, with dishwashing detergent. Can anyone suggest a better way to clean the lube off the cases?

I lube, BTW, with a cotton cloth strip or two, soaked with lubricant, in a clean coffee can. Tumbling the brass around in the can will lube the cases, and also leaves a bit on the mouth.

Old January 2, 1999, 06:16 PM   #2
Walt Welch

Bob; buy a case tumbler from Dillon. Also, get some of their brass cleaner which you add to the media. Use ground walnut shells as your media; this is also available from Dillon.

Corncob media, the other type available, has a larger particle size, and particles tend to get stuck in the flash hole.

You can also tumble your loaded rounds to remove fingerprint oils, and leave a protective coat from the brass polish on the cases.

It is worth the cost. Walt Welch
Old March 2, 2000, 07:21 PM   #3
docstodd

bob on my 357sig I use one shot case lube made by rcbs ( I think, comes in red a can)then when they are loaded I put them in my tumbler for about 20 min. so far has worked well for me. I also do this for my rifle calibers.
Old March 3, 2000, 02:54 AM   #4
Paul B.

Doc. I have read that it is considered unsafe to tumble loaded ammo. Something to do with the grain size of the powder being altered by the tumbling, making it faster burning.
I tumble my brass to clean it with walnut shells and polishing solution by Lyman. All my handgun brass is done with carbide dies. Rifle brass has to be lubed, of course. Afdter sizing, I tumble them for about a half hour in corn cob media with no polish to remove the lube.
Then I load as usual.
Paul B.
Old March 3, 2000, 10:27 PM   #5
beemerb

Lube -size-tumble-check primer pockets.It doesn't take but a couple of minuites and is the easy way of doing it.
Bob
PS-Tumbling loaded ammo if you are right on red line is a no no.Light loaded stuff is ok as the faster burn rate of the powder with smaller granuals will not hurt anything.All in all not a real good practice though.
Old March 4, 2000, 03:42 PM   #6
docstodd

I checked with the seirra tec line before I started tumbling my ammo but breaking down the powder seams like a real concern. guess I may rethink this practice. would like to hear if any one has had problems doing it.I have been using blue dot in my 357 sig and H322 in my 223. 223 is loaded pretty hot so far no signs of high pressure but now I am a little worried
Old March 4, 2000, 03:51 PM   #7
docstodd

BTW the guy at sierra told me he though it would be ok and I only tumble it for a short time 20min max usually it dosn't take that long to get the lube off. also wouldn't having ammo bounced around in a car do the same thing to the powder.