The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 7, 2002, 04:29 AM   #1
LASur5r+P

Tough one

This was on the news the other day.

Let's say that you are retired and then some. Your son (age 39) has had some problems and you haven't seen him for a while. Then one day he shows up in your living room demanding that you help him. You start asking questions, when he hits you. You start getting up when you see him grab a bat that he brought with him. He starts walking towards you.

You are 71. You have your CCW on you. What do you do?

In this real llfe case, the 71 year old mother had to shoot and killed her son. Sad for the mother.
Old June 7, 2002, 08:35 AM   #2
fix

Honestly, at that age I would probably just fight it out with him. If he kills me, so be it. I will have lived a long life and will die hoping that he cleans his act up and does the same. Tough decision for the spouse though. I expect I would make the same choice she did, were my son attacking my wife instead of me.
Old June 7, 2002, 09:38 AM   #3
Betty

If I brought that life into the world and raised him up to be a man and he slithers back a slug like that ... he can push up daisies. There would be no way that I would permit this slug to hurt others after he is finished beating my brains to a pulp. If he kills his own mother, what do you think he would do to others?

Awhile back a "son" murdered his mother (a former teacher of mine) because she wouldn't loan him any money. He shot her in the head and then he tried to cover it up by burning her house down. She raised him well, but still could not control his outcome. Slug.
Old June 7, 2002, 09:50 AM   #4
C.R.Sam

Cap him.
That old and bent, too late. Why sacrifice myself that scum may live?
I may have raised it, but that makes me responsible for protecting others from him.

Runt right.
Old June 7, 2002, 10:08 AM   #5
Rickmeister

Somehow I get the suspicious feeling that not all is being told in this story.

Reality is often filtered and distorted through multiple layers of idiosyncracy (media, et al) before it finally reaches us; and what astonishes us at first glimpse may or may not turn out to be a totally accurate representation of the truth.

Give me the mother's bio. Give me the son's bio. Let me in on all of the events leading up to this horrible outcome, and then I'll gladly pass judgment.

How do we know this wasn't the story the mom conjured up to protect some dark secret of hers that her son was about to divulge? How do we know she wasn't collecting anything upon her son's death? How do we know she wasn't the one at fault? Were there any witnesses?

And why the hell are Nikes more expensive than Reeboks???

Ooops! My CD jumped tracks.
Old June 7, 2002, 10:12 AM   #6
Betty

For all I know, that mom and son beat each other up on a regular basis, who knows. I'm not passing judgement on them.

The question asked, 'What would you do if your son tries to attack you with a baseball bat"?
Old June 7, 2002, 10:30 AM   #7
Rickmeister

Me? Don't have any sons. Only daughters (God help!).
Old June 7, 2002, 04:03 PM   #8
Mr. James

What C.R. Sam said.

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old June 7, 2002, 06:40 PM   #9
ATeaM

What Fix said.
Old June 8, 2002, 08:37 AM   #10
gryphon

In my family, if my brother or I would have even thought that, and my father didn't kill us, on of my other 6 sibilings would have. There is no place for kids to disrespect their parents like that. If your parents treated you like garbage when you were little, and now you've moved out, then fine, stay away. Coming back and being violent because your parents woun't give you what you want changes your status from family member to "just another criminal" in my book.

Given that statement, do what you would do if it was any other person. CCW out demand to stop, if no compliance, double tap.
Old June 8, 2002, 03:19 PM   #11
Eric Larsen

If it were my son, Id take him out. Plain and simple. If it was me going after my parents...I hope they would do the same...Id deserve it. Goes to show you My family wasnt as disfunctional as I may have thought..Shoot well

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice......Rush
Old June 27, 2002, 11:59 AM   #12
WAPS

I agree that the entire story appears to be lacking, so my comments will be based upon what I have before me.

Short and to the point, I brought him into this world, and I can take him out of it as well.

Again based upon the information presented. THere is a very large differance with regard to a parent sacrificing their life to save their child from death or injury, to sacrificing their life to thier child.

Williams Associates Protective Services, LLC.

Website
Old July 2, 2002, 06:39 AM   #13
Quartus

Quote:
Short and to the point, I brought him into this world, and I can take him out of it as well.

As father of 5, I would feel responsible to do just that, under the circumstances described.

Which would tear my heart out. But life can be hard.

Better to know what you don't know than to think you know what you don't know.
Old July 4, 2002, 12:43 PM   #14
Chuck Dye

The best response to a violent attack is an immediate and overwhelming counterattack. 71 years old vs. 39 with a bat? Open fire and continue until the goblin ceases to function or you are out of ammo. Whether or not you give him the opportunity to abort depends on how close he is and what he does when drawn on, if there is time to evaluate his reaction.

Rickmeister:
When under attack, who needs or has time for biography?
Old July 4, 2002, 12:49 PM   #15
Chuck Dye

The best response to a violent attack is an immediate and overwhelming counterattack. 71 years old vs. 39 with a bat? Open fire and continue until the goblin ceases to function or you are out of ammo.

Rickmeister:
When under attack, who needs or has time for biography?