The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old June 15, 2013, 12:37 PM   #1
F23Blackwidow2

.22 Match Ammo

I'm looking into putting together a budget compitition .22. I plan on getting a Savage MkII FV (If I can find one in stock) and putting a target stock on it. But I degress.

What's the best starter target/long range .22 round? I know Eley is real good, but the price is REALLY high (budget remember ) and I don't want to pay $100 for a box of 500. I have also heard Augila Super Extra and Super Match are good. Any suggestions?

Also, could you please tell me where I can find the stuff, because the stores around me just have federal bulk, Remington golden, and other stuff like that.

Thanks,
Ken
Old June 15, 2013, 01:14 PM   #2
B.L.E.

You might try this ammo, that's a 5 shot group at 50 yards, admittedly shot in an indoor range but I was testing the accuracy of various brands of ammo, not my ability to read crosswinds.

Old June 15, 2013, 04:01 PM   #3
4EVERM-14

Good quality standard velocity .22's are not going to be cheap. Lower grades of Eley [Club, Target,Sport] are good choices as is Wolf.
RWS 'Target' or SK Jagd 'Rifle Match' will probably outshoot anything domestic except maybe Federal '711'. With the run on .22's these days I can't say if any are available.
Try www.champchoice.com orwww.creedmoresports.com
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old June 15, 2013, 04:04 PM   #4
CharlieDeltaJuliet

SK/Lapua would be my choice...
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old June 15, 2013, 05:40 PM   #5
Old Stony

I tested a bunch .22's one time through a model 52 winchester once with a 24 power Redfield on it. The winchester standard velocity proved to outshoot even the Eley in that rifle.
Old June 15, 2013, 09:29 PM   #6
B.L.E.

I understand that Wolf rimfire ammo is actually made by Lapua.
Old June 15, 2013, 09:48 PM   #7
CharlieDeltaJuliet

Yep... Wolf match and SK Plus are the same IIRC
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old June 15, 2013, 10:05 PM   #8
scottys1

It doesn't hurt to give bargain ammo an honest try. You may be pleasantly surprised.

I've found that CCI Blazer gives the best 50yd groups from both my Marlins, 880SQ and 7000T. It surprisingly beats several kinds of standard velocity ammo including CCI Green tag and three flavors of cheaper Eley ammo.
Old June 16, 2013, 09:18 AM   #9
WESHOOT2

test then know

YOUR gun will not know the cost, brand, or reputation of its ammo.

I suggest starting at the bottom of the price ladder, and working your way upward in price until your personal performance goals are met.
Old June 16, 2013, 09:24 AM   #10
Jimro

Things to try:

Federal Automatch
Federal Gold Medal Match
Aguila Eley Prime Club
Aguila Eley Prime Match
Wolf Match
Federal Champion Target

Some are pricier than others. Good luck.

Jimro
Old June 19, 2013, 09:45 AM   #11
Bart B.

The US Olympic Team has learned that some lots of Eley Match (black box) shoots as accurate as Eley Tenex.

I think you need to shoot 20-shot groups with rimfire ammo testing for accuracy. With all the variables in ammo as well as having to hold the rifle still near 3 times as long as a high power rifle after the firing pin smacks the case, few-shot groups don't tell much with .22 long rifle ammo.

The amount of torque on the stock screws also makes a difference. Try different amount of inch-pounds of torque and see what happens. Most bolt action rifles seem to do best with between 20 and 30 inch pounds of torque. And the barrel has to be totally free floating.
Old June 20, 2013, 04:27 PM   #12
F23Blackwidow2

I have heard a lot of good things about Wolf match ammo. I will definitely try it out. For testing, should I clean the barrel after each ammo, or does it matter? Thanks,
Ken
Old June 20, 2013, 05:39 PM   #13
Bart B.

I'd clean the barrel after each 50 shots. Some ammo's dirty enough that you gotta clean after 25 shots.
Old June 21, 2013, 07:51 PM   #14
richrd1

you really need to let the gun tell you what it wants.

I have a good rifle that is very picky about what it wants, (wolf is one it like in most lots), and a cheaper rifle that will shoot any standard velocity very well.
Old June 23, 2013, 03:02 PM   #15
LAH

The great thing about finding the correct ammo for your rifle is all the shooting you do. The shooting will help you learn the disciple you choose.
Old June 24, 2013, 07:16 PM   #16
m_liebst

Quote:
I've found that CCI Blazer gives the best 50yd groups from both my Marlins, 880SQ and 7000T. It surprisingly beats several kinds of standard velocity ammo including CCI Green tag and three flavors of cheaper Eley ammo.
I agree,.. The CCI Blazer gave me tighter group averages when I compared them to CCI SV. But then again, this is out of a semi-auto non match reamed carbine ruger 1022

Last edited by m_liebst; June 24, 2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old June 24, 2013, 07:26 PM   #17
m_liebst

100.00 for a brick of Target/Match .22lr ammo is actually in the low to mid range price. WolfMatch, n Fiocchi SM are some of the lower priced...... atleast of what I've purchased before the whole ammo crisis started
Use to get a brick of Wolf match for 65.00 a brick at the gunshow, and Fiocchi SM320 for about 8.00 per 50pk at Big Five.
Old June 25, 2013, 06:22 AM   #18
B.L.E.

If you want quality ammo, you gotta pay for it just like we did in the "good ol' days".

$100 in 2013 = $15.75 in 1969 adjusted for inflation.
Now it doesn't seem that expensive anymore.
Old June 25, 2013, 09:25 AM   #19
SVTCobra306

I haven't shot groups with it, but my 10/22 seems to like Federal Automatch. I happened upon some a few weeks ago and grabbed it for $17.95 for 325 rds, and shot a steel match with it. My 10/22 was sighted in with mini mags, but it hit steel with every shot I didn't screw up (missed twice out of 40). Eventually I'll get around to putting shots on paper with them.
Old June 25, 2013, 06:01 PM   #20
LAH

My Anschutz loves the Fed Auto Match.

Old June 26, 2013, 05:54 AM   #21
B.L.E.

Quote:
My Anschutz loves the Fed Auto Match.
Range? I'm assuming 50 yards.
Old June 26, 2013, 08:19 AM   #22
LAH

Yes Sir, 50 yards. I need to update the picture as it now wears a T-36 Weaver.

Old June 26, 2013, 11:05 PM   #23
velocette

With match grade .22 rf ammo, as others have said, you pays for what you gets.
You can find some less expensive ammo that will give you some impressive 3 or 5 shot groups. Then when you go on to several 5 shot groups, you find that you get what is charitably called "fliers". That's a round that gives you the unexpected 9 or worse, an 8. Variations in priming mix, powder charge, bullet weight, bullet lubrication, bullet shape, bullet crimp, brass thickness, and on and on. The more expensive stuff will have fewer of these problems.
Yes, SK standard plus shoots well in my Anschutz rifle. BUT I get the occasional 9 and (rarely) a dreaded 8 in practice.
In serious rimfire competition, dropping an X, much less a 9 will lose you a match.
There is a reason that folks use high end, expensive rimfire ammo. Believe me, sir, if I could shoot consistent 200 / 15+ X targets with cheap ammo, I would. I cannot, nor can my fellow competitors. (I sure wish that they would buy cheap ammo, it would make my life easier
I'm sure that there will be several folks come on this forum and claim that they consistently shoot little tiny groups at 50 & 100 yds with inexpensive ammo & rifles. Unfortunately, they never show up a Perry or any other match.

Roger
Old June 27, 2013, 10:00 AM   #24
LAH

Quote:
I'm sure that there will be several folks come on this forum and claim that they consistently shoot little tiny groups at 50 & 100 yds with inexpensive ammo & rifles. Unfortunately, they never show up a Perry or any other match.
I hear it all the time Roger. I keep a dime target with me at the range when I'm told my rifle & ammo will stay under a dime at 50 yards.
Old June 27, 2013, 05:05 PM   #25
Bart B.

Here's what my Anschutz 1911 did back in 2005 With Eley Tenex. All 40 shots touched (a few just barely) or went into the .39" X ring enroute to almost setting a new smallbore prone record at 50 yards .....

The third shot on the shoot-off target left the barrel as the wind gusted and its inside edge landed about 1/16th inch off the X ring at 3 o'clock to score a 10. I quit shooting.

That ammo shot about 2/10ths inch at 50 yards when it was tested. It was made in early 1985 before Eley changed their priming compound mix.

Last edited by Bart B.; June 27, 2013 at 07:51 PM.