The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 4, 2011, 05:03 PM   #1
oracle_scott

Lowest scope/ring combo for 700 SPS stainless

Hi all.

Have a 700 SPS stainless in 308 on the way and already have VX-3 3.5-10x40mm scope. I'm thinking I'd pick up the Burris Signatures in MED along with the adjustment shims just in case the holes are off, and I was thinking the Leupold weaver 2 piece rifleman mounts.

With the bell ~ 46mm, could I possibly use LOW mounts on this rifle or with this scope and the mounts is MED the lowest I can go?

Thanks
Old March 4, 2011, 05:24 PM   #2
hooligan1

Just go ahead and spring for the Burris bases also! And why are you planning on shimming, sometimes things fit without doctoring them. Let the "combination" tell you what you need. Mount that scope as low as possible. Burris makes quality bases, I know because I own a set, so purchase all the matching equipment. Anyway good luck and good shootin dude! Also why not Leupold rings and bases, Burris is no better quality than leuppy.
Old March 4, 2011, 06:06 PM   #3
oracle_scott

well I'm not hoping to shim but if the holes are off as I hear every now and then they are I'd like to have the set of shims to offset a poor drill job. Actually I'm thinking I'd like to use the shims to get as close to zero as possible to avoid having to shift the scope mirrors much at all. I'd like to have the full range of windage & elevation available as well as trying to keep everything in the middle to get the best possible picture outta the scope.

As far as the mounts go I guess it doesn't matter so much which weaver 2 piece I get, although I was figuring the Leupolds may match the silver scope closer. Guess you can't see them much anyway.

Reason for the sigs is to accept the burris shim set, not sure if the Leupold rings would accept the shims or not, although I bet the L's would match the scope closer.