The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 21, 2006, 06:56 PM   #1
cfromc

Para Smith sights/accuracy

Hi everyone,

I've got a S14.45 Limited with the adjustable sights. I'm looking for fixed combat night sights and maybe some (slight) accuracy work. I don't need 1" groups at 50 yards but I'd like it a little better than it is now.

Does anyone know of a good smith that works on Para double stacks? In northeast IL/southern WI would be fine but I would be willing to ship it if someone really specializes in Para's.

Thank you.
Old February 27, 2006, 01:18 AM   #2
Bigfatts

Any competent gunsmith should be able to do the job for you as long as you don't want anything crazy, unless it's an LDA, all it is is a 1911 with a wider mag well. I should think though that you should be able to get all the accuracy you need out of the adjustable sights. I have Bomar adjustable sights on my P16 .40 and it's about as accurate a pistol as I've ever had. Is the sight on you P14 a Bomar? If so, it will have the slide cut to accomodate it. If that's the case, it will be very hard to find a fixed rear sight to fit it, I'm sure they might exist, but I don't know of any. If you'd like to keep the adjustables Brownells sells a night sight painting kit where you can paint your sights with a special glow in the dark paint. It did ok on my P16. You could always paint the rear sights and then get a front sight with a tritium insert. If not, Wilson Combat makes a Bomar type rear sight with Tritium inserts for around $150 I think. I think Ed Brown does too, but I'm not positive.
Old February 27, 2006, 09:50 PM   #3
Hunter Customs

I have night sights for the Para's with adjustable rear sights. Making a fixed sight for the LPA cut (this is the cut for the adjustable rear sight) is possible but keep in mind that machine time is not cheap.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com