The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 17, 2006, 02:38 PM   #51
loggerhead

Location: Right of the Mississippi but South of the Mason Dixie line
.243 Man! Not a youth model either. AT 17 and a thin 120 lbs the reach bound to be about right for a full size weapon.
I say the .243 for only one reason. All of the others, 25-06, 220 swift,6.5 x 55 and so on, though admirable unless yu load your own might prove to be a little hard to get where as the 243 will definately do the job and just about anyplace that sells ammo will have 243ammo.
What ever it takes, keep that gal hunting.
Old February 17, 2006, 03:08 PM   #52
Huffmanite

Comment about .243

Don't have a caliber to recommend, but a hunting buddy used a .243 for several years and he liked it a lot, except for one thing. He was a great marksman, and too many of the white tail deer he shot ran kinda far before dropping, even though he put the bullet thru their hearts. We hunted in fairly heavily woods areas and finding a deer that had run after being shot was a problem. He switched to a 308 to solve the problem.
Old March 1, 2006, 09:23 AM   #53
nefshooter

I have a 243 in the handi rifle youth model i picked up at a pawn shop for my kids.I have a hard time picking up my other rifles when a go huntin!! If i drop it or loose it i maybe out a couple hundred bucks scope and all!! Kids also learn to make better shots win they only have one. I hunt meat not paper the freezer is almost full!!!!!!!!!!
Old March 2, 2006, 10:54 PM   #54
FirstFreedom

Quote:
I thought the .243 was perfect until I got my 6.5 Grendel Hunter. The Grendel is the perfect deer rifle/cartridge combination.
Ya know, Meek, I can definitely see myself gettin' down with that logic, once I get a 6.5 grendel upper from Alexander. Right now, for deer hunting, I have a .270 turnbolt (Savage), a .308 semi (Armalite), a .243 single shot (NEF), a .45-70 lever (Marlin), and a .25-06 turnbolt (Howa), and in all honesty, a *couple* others. Since it's so hard to decide which to grab when hunting, maybe the grendel will help eliminate the anxiety in the choice by making it easy! (ya, THAT's the reason I need another gun).
Old March 3, 2006, 09:19 AM   #55
mikejonestkd

.243 is enough

The .243 will do a great job if you put the bullet in the right place and is you use a fairly quick expanding bullet. Try the NBT 95 gr, Rem accutip 95gr, or the winchester supreme with the 95 gr ballistic tip. The Hornady SST should do well too.

All deer can run quite a distance after being hit. Some collapse almost instantly with a lung/ heart shot, others can run 100 yards.

The .243 turns their lungs to slimy goo with a quick expanding bullet. Some even use 85 gr hollowpoints with great success.
Old March 5, 2006, 12:42 PM   #56
shureshot0471

Been gone to read there are a couple of reasons I said the .223, .204,
1. Teaches the Imprtance of being a good shot if a child is scared of a firearm they will flench and wound an anmial and that is not good.
2.Teaches them shot placement this is how my dad did it, I hunted with a .223 single shot and he had his ole' 6m if I missed he would clean up and yes he was good enough to do so.
This is how I will teach my childern to do you do it your own way but it worked with me.
- Ted Nugent