The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 27, 2012, 02:20 PM   #1
m&p45acp10+1

CVA .36 Cal. Brass Frame

Well I was at the counter of the LGS picking up a gun from the smith. I saw this one was all alone in the case with a price tag of $100 so I decided to give it a home. I am now going out the door to drive to Cabella's for the necessary gear. Though this one has no instructions, or paperwork so I am in the dark ages here. I would do a google search though I have had the gun all of 20 minutes, and I am now going out the door to beat rush hour trafffic. I will try to post a picture when I get home.

Thank you all for any help.

Nate
Old April 27, 2012, 02:58 PM   #2
deerslayer303

Yep and so begins the addiction Another one bitten by the bug!
Old April 27, 2012, 03:51 PM   #3
Hardcase

Welcome to the club!
Old April 27, 2012, 04:23 PM   #4
Doc Hoy

M&P

This is bliss.
Old April 27, 2012, 05:06 PM   #5
m&p45acp10+1

Well some other things came up so it is gonna be about two weeks till I get the chance to shoot it. Though I will use the time to clean it up, and get a list of what I am going to need. I think it will work out better that way so that I get a chance to research things. This is my first attempt at BP with a revolver. I have some experience with a match lock, and a couple of flint lock saddle pistols. Though I have not fired them in over twenty years.

I also hand load, as well as bullet cast so I will be able to feed this one.
Old April 27, 2012, 05:15 PM   #6
Doc Hoy

You will feel right at home.

Before you go buy a bunch of stuff you might want to get a little info from around here.
Old April 27, 2012, 05:19 PM   #7
OutlawJoseyWales

Awesome and welcome, I'm also a recent convert. (compared to others on this board). I actually now prefer all the tinkering and complications of BP revolver shooting over my "ca-trige" guns now. I love the history element also.

Here's the place to start, right on the front page, the sticky: So you want a cap and ball revolver?

I must warn you though, you will not be able to stop buying these pistols, it's a terrible sickness.
Old April 27, 2012, 07:02 PM   #8
Hawksnest88

It is NOT a sickness, I only have 12 BP revolvers so far, and I feel fine .
Old April 27, 2012, 07:16 PM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
It is NOT a sickness, I only have 12 BP revolvers so far, and I feel fine

Classic symptoms.
Old April 27, 2012, 10:03 PM   #10
mykeal

Just don't try to quit....

...because THEN you'll feel very bad.
Old April 27, 2012, 10:40 PM   #11
m&p45acp10+1

Well I read the sticky, I have two weeks to decide on the wants and needs part. Then I will purchase the things to be able to shoot the revolver.

Until then my Mod. 67-1 S&W, and my .41 Mag Ruger Black Hawk will be getting a work out.

I remember that the Spanish match lock reproduction that I inherited from grampa was fun shoot. As well as it did get some funny looks at the range. I shot the flint locks that day as well they were fun. Though all of those were cleaned very well afterwards. Then put away into the safes. They get oiled when needed.

This particular BP pistol is the great one due to there are no special attachments to it. It is what it is. A cheap shooter that I plan on shooting the crap out of. Looks like one more to have to wash when I get home from the range. I already clean corrosive primer compound out of 3 rifles every time I shoot them. Now the revolver as well.
Old April 30, 2012, 11:56 AM   #12
ZVP

Fun and Games!

Then if you hold your loads to under 20 gr you will have a ball! Some who shun the Brass framed revolvers as weak but if you use common sense and a powder measure, you will be safe. Shoot only round balls to protect the frame from heavy bullet recoil. Stick with real BP if you can or load the substitutes by VOLUME not weight.
You can get many years of good service from a Brasser!
Besides when shined-up, they are Pretty to look at!
Most old '51 Navy repro's are .44 cal and some few are .36's. In either, load light! Coo becauselt never made a .44 in that revolver. It's OK though because the big .44's are easy to score!
Have fun but most of all load safely and use either over the powder felt wads or grease over the balls to prevent chainfires.
Welcome to the Hobby and have fun!
ZVP
Old May 3, 2012, 11:09 AM   #13
Hawksnest88

HAWG, A while back I went to http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php and signed up. It said I would be contacted with how to get hooked up/on. Never happened, I can see why it is dying out. BG
Old May 3, 2012, 01:07 PM   #14
DPris
Member Emeritus

Brass frames aren't necessarily "weak", but they are WEAKER than steel & won't hold up as well over the long run. They risk frame stretching and arbor loosening.
Keep the charges low for best longevity.

Good luck with it.
Denis
Old May 3, 2012, 08:16 PM   #15
m&p45acp10+1

Well honestly I know from it being labor intensive for cleaning I will probably more likely than not use it as an occasional shooter. Time will tell on that part. Next week I will pick up the stuff I need to shoot it. I will end up casting my own balls for it. I cast bullets, and have 30 pounds of soft lead saved so I have a good starting point.
Old May 5, 2012, 10:56 AM   #16
Hawg

Quote:
HAWG, A while back I went to http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php and signed up. It said I would be contacted with how to get hooked up/on. Never happened, I can see why it is dying out. BG
That was changed. It shouldn't do that now. It's a kind of a long story why it's membership has declined but that has nothing to do with it.
Old May 12, 2012, 01:51 AM   #17
m&p45acp10+1

Update with a bit of assistance needed

Ok I went to Cabella's. I purchased a can of Tripple7 FFFG, 36 cal round balls, 100 lubed wool felt wads, and a can of Cabella's muzzle loader lube. I will in the morning work on cutting down a case to make a powder scoop to get me close to 20 grains of powder.

I took the revolver apart. Cleaned it, and lubed it. Put it back together again. The only problem I am having is with the trigger. It is not keeping the hammer cocked unless I hold it forward while cocking. I am not going to shoot it like that. It seems very unsafe. I have watched a couple of youtube videos of putting it back together. I am so far as I know doing the same thing the folks on the vids are. The problem is I am deaf so hearing what the person is saying is not possible. Some help would be appreciated greatly. I will check back on this when I am having my morning coffee, and the Mrs. is in bed. It is now way past my bedtime now. So I am going to bed.

Thank you,
Nate
Old May 12, 2012, 09:04 AM   #18
DPris
Member Emeritus

Sounds like you reassembled it wrong.
There should be spring pressure bearing on the trigger.
Denis
Old May 12, 2012, 09:06 AM   #19
zullo74

Nate,

You did not mention if your revolver is Colt or Remington pattern, but the cure would be pretty much the same.

Remove the trigger guard and the combo spring for the trigger and bolt. When replacing this spring, be sure the long arm is facing toward the top of the gun and is positioned on the ledge on the trigger. That is what makes the trigger bear forward and engage the hammer notches. The short leg goes on the bolt to make it pop up and lock the cylinder. I hope this helps you.
Old May 12, 2012, 09:22 AM   #20
m&p45acp10+1

Thanks for the response someone sent me a PM with the correct info. I did not have the lower leaf spring over the front finger of the trigger, so it had no forward pull when the hammer engaged. Thanks for the help. Now to head to the range, and make a smoke screen.
Old May 13, 2012, 08:49 AM   #21
m&p45acp10+1

Well I took it to the range yesterday. It took a bit for me to get the loading process down. I am getting better at that part. It shot just fine. I could make up something about great groups. Though I did not shoot for groups. It shot better towards the end of the day. I will chalk it up to break in, and learning curve.

I am gonna try and take it back today, and fire just a few rounds, and give the Spanish Mauser some shooting time.
Old May 15, 2012, 04:22 PM   #22
Shotput79

m&p45acp10+1. I know I'm going to get in trouble here but try another powder. Triple 7 is a little hotter than real black powder or Pyrodex P. If your going to stick with the triple 7 back off the load from 20 grs to about 15 grs in a .36 cal. I stopped useing tripple 7 cause I could never get it to group my shots as good as real black powder or Pyrodex. It's up to you. Black powder shooting is what it is and just because something says it's clean don't mean a pistol/rifle will shoot it's best groups with it.

Dell
Old May 15, 2012, 10:54 PM   #23
m&p45acp10+1

I would be more than happy to use real black powder. The only problem is it is dang near impossible to find anywhere here. I will be backing off of the load next time I shoot it, and using some corn meal as filler. As I said I was getting near squibs using less powder, and I know I packed each cylinder tight. When I loaded more powder the problem stopped. So I will work with some filler next time out.

I am no stranger to dirty powder. My best cast loads in .45 acp use 4.3 grains of Bull's Eye. They are dirtier than a politician when no one is looking. Though they shoot so well I still load them up that way.

Last edited by m&p45acp10+1; May 15, 2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old May 16, 2012, 08:16 AM   #24
Shotput79

m&p45acp10+1. I have the same problem finding real black powder so I went to Pyrodex P for the .36 cals and Pyrodex RS for the .44 cals. One thing cought my eye on your last post and that is with triple 7 it dose not like to be packed tight like real bp or Pyrodex. So when you put your powder in with a lubed wad and filler remember not to compress triple 7 real tight. Just enough to know you don't have an air space. Have fun with it. Let us know how it works out.

Dell
Old May 18, 2012, 10:33 PM   #25
m&p45acp10+1

I will be taking it back out to the range in the morning. Hopefuly I will get to put in some trigger time. I am going to test some hand loads for a couple of rifles, and of course to put some lead down range from my Ol' Trusty S&W Mod 67-1.

I am gonna burn off a few rounds with BP revolver tomorrow, using less powder, and maybe some filler if needed. Next time I buy powder I will look for the real thing. If that is not available then I will get some Pyrodex-P. The Triple7 was the only thing available at the time i bought it.