The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 6, 2009, 10:09 PM   #1
TonyAR308

Ref. an earlier post

On 2/3 there was posting regarding full length sizing new brass. My question is; if you should run new brass through a full length sizer, which was recommended in the post, then what would be the difference in resizing new brass, say 270 to 25-06? Around my neighborhood 270 brass is cheaper and more plentiful than 25-06, which is what I need. The cheapest I can find new 25-06 brass is 34.99 before tax and it is rare when I can find it.
Old February 6, 2009, 10:22 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

The neck thickens and has to be trimmed and reamed to bring it back to a thickness that will fit the chamber and hold the bullet well. I have an Excel file that calculates the neck wall thickness increase in my file repository.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 6, 2009, 10:29 PM   #3
TonyAR308

Thanks. One last attempt at being cheap... I am going to get new brass and be done with it. New to reloading and I don't need anything extra when trying to learn and develop a round that works.

Tony
Old February 6, 2009, 10:40 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

It's not actually a bad idea. If you own a bench type trimmer, they usually have a selection of reamers available for cleaning out necks after that downsizing step. No calculation is necessary with those reamers. They just reams inside to the correct diameter for a sized case for the bullet. It's not really any more work than trimming. I like the L.E. Wilson tool best for this because the design forces the cases coaxial.

I can appreciate that you don't want extra steps at the beginning of your reloading learning curve, though.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 7, 2009, 12:38 AM   #5
Inspector3711

I buy all my .25-06 brass once fired... Half the price of new brass and have yet to regret it. oncefiredbrass.com often has some in stock.
Old February 7, 2009, 10:03 AM   #6
F. Guffey

most of what happens when a case is sized is ASSUMED, no one measure before and again after and few know the difference in the thickness of a case at the body above the web, half way up, below the shoulder and neck, then there is brass flow and stretch, squat (compress) or grow. Going to the Big Town Gun Show, Mesquite TX., be back tonight.

F. Guffey