The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 7, 2012, 03:00 PM   #1
Dal052181

Budget .44 mag

Hello all. I'm new to the forum scene. So I've finally decided to add a big bore revolver to my collection and I'm having trouble deciding what to sink my money into. I've budgeted myself to $500 which I know is not Much but my wife will Kill me if I dip into the diaper fund. I want something I can/could hunt with if needed, and something I can carry with me in the woods for bear and other large critters. I've ruled smiths and redhawks out due to price. Blackhawks I'm not to crazy about the big ramp sights and had a buddy that had a lot of issues. Been looking at the Eaa bbh 7.5" and the Taurus tacked or raging bull but I'm not familiar with any of these. I've done research on these and I hear a lot about the qc at Taurus being horrible and it's a crap shoot on what your going to get. I haven't been able to find out much about the Eaa bh but that it's made in Germany. Haven't seen many reviews on them either. So what's your thoughts/suggestions?
Old September 7, 2012, 03:22 PM   #2
rclark

I would think about a blued Super Blackhawk as your best bet within the $500 range. Might have to spend a bit more in today's market.... I've not had any 'sight' issues in any of my Rugers. That is my suggestion. Barrel length is your call. I like 5 1/2". Others like 4 5/8" and for hunting the 7.5" is popular.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old September 7, 2012, 03:49 PM   #3
testuser

I've owned EAA products, and getting factory support can be difficult. I've been burned twice out of all of the guns I've owned, once by Hi-Point and once by EAA. I won't even consider any of their guns again.

I'd keep saving, or look into the used market. I know S&W will warranty their pistol made since 1989, that covers a lot of weapons, Ruger probably has a similiar warranty.
Old September 7, 2012, 04:15 PM   #4
jmortimer

The closest to $500.00 will be the Taurus. I would look for a used Ruger or S&W.
Old September 7, 2012, 04:23 PM   #5
stalkingbear

You can usually find blued Superblackhawks in the 300-400$ range. I have a Superblackhawk and it shoots sweet!
Old September 7, 2012, 05:42 PM   #6
Edward429451

Used Ruger. My SBH shoots very sweet.
Old September 7, 2012, 05:51 PM   #7
SIGSHR

Yes, the Ruger. I am partial to the Interarms Virginian Dragoon but replacements parts are very hard to find.
Old September 7, 2012, 06:01 PM   #8
br549arkie

You can also find the old model Ruger Vaqueros in .44mag if you look around.
Old September 7, 2012, 06:18 PM   #9
Dal052181

Thanks for your input guys. Do you know if the sbh or the vaquero can handle the buffalo rounds safley?
Old September 7, 2012, 06:26 PM   #10
jmortimer

"Old Vaquero" and SBH yes- "Ruger Only Loads" Check out Buffalo Bores web site and they will tell you so.
Old September 7, 2012, 06:27 PM   #11
mavracer

Quote:
Do you know if the sbh or the vaquero can handle the buffalo rounds safley?
yep all day, It'd cost a small fortune to buy enough BB ammo to wear a Ruger.
you'll probably cause problems with your wrist before the gun
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old September 7, 2012, 09:19 PM   #12
2500ak

Taurus revolvers have pretty poor quality control, but also tend to be pretty reliable. One of my bear guns is a Taurus Raging Bull in .44 mag. Only real problem I've had with it was the machining marks on the cylinder causing some ammo to stick in the drum. A few short passes with a flex hone and they'd smoothed out enough so that only steel case sticks, and it's pretty rare that even that does.

The Taurus is a good tool. It's like a hammer you buy at home depot. There's not really any pride in ownership, but my experience is that I've shot hundreds of rounds through it and it's never failed me, and is decently accurate. Would I trust my life with it? Sure, it's never given me any reason not to trust it.

That said, the accuracy is good, not great. A good indication of quality is how tightly the action holds the barrel when at full battery (pull the trigger and the hammer all the way back, hold them firmly, and try to manipulate the drum). Double actions tend to have a lot more play, but the Taurus has always had much more play than say, my S&W 19. Another factor is barrel to drum clearance, and the Taurus isn't nearly as tight as some of the others.

On the other hand, the grips on the Taurus are great (if you have big hands), and they come with really good compensators built into the barrel. Recoil of even the 305 grain hard cast bear rounds is a breeze, and I could put them downrange all day without my wrist getting tired.

The Taurus also has dual locks on the cylinder release. Some people really don't like this, because to means both hands and holding the gun a certain way to get the drum open. Personally I don't mind it.

On the other hand my Ruger SuperBlackhawk and my BFR (BlackHawk on steroids), both lockup completely. No play whatsoever. The trigger is better, the gun is a stronger design. Clearances are very, very tight. They are more accurate, and the action is smoother.

The downside is that they are single action, meaning you have to single load/eject the chambers, and no double action trigger.

I found my SB for about 450, only very lightly used. In your place, if you mean for this to be a carry revolver I'd probably go with the Taurus, if primarily something for the range I'd get the SuperBlackhawk.
Old September 7, 2012, 09:34 PM   #13
fishbones182

I love my Raging Bull in 44 mag and my cylinder locks tight. Very accurate and strong i would put it against my 629 classic any day of the week. I shoot alot of plinking loads through it but it will also eat the hot stuff just as nicely. Taurus is the best bang for the buck.
Old September 7, 2012, 09:47 PM   #14
Lost Sheep

Am I right about this?

The Vaqueros are badly named. The "Old Vaquero" are built on the Blackhawk large frame and can handle heavy loads. The "New Vaquero" are built on a medium frame, have fixed sights, seem ideally suited for the CASS (Cowboy Action Shooting Sports) and are not suitable for the heavy loads, in Colt 45 or in 44 Magnum, or probably even 44 Special.

(edit MavRacer pointed out that the New Vaquero does not come in 44 Magnum. My mistake.

These terms are not to be confused with the adjectives "Old Model" Blackhawk or "New Model" Blackhawk. That has nothing to do with the frames or strength, but the transfer bar safety organic to the New Model guns. Also keep in mind that Old Model Blackhawks can be converted to have the transfer bar safety installed, thus making them a "Converted Old Model" Blackhawk.

With the terminology as I have outlined it, then, there are no "Old Model New Vaqueros", but there are Vaqueros (which have the large, strong frame and cylinder and some people might call an Old Vaquero) and New Vaqueros (which have the medium frame and cylinder).

Geez. You would think they would give some thought to their naming conventions.

Those who are more knowledgeble about Ruger Single Actions can check me on this: I THINK (would not bet my eyesight on it): If it is a Single Action Ruger and it has adjustable sights, it is capable of heavy loads. If fixed sights, probably not, but might be.

But you probably want adjustable sights if you intend to hunt with it.

Good Luck

Lost Sheep

Last edited by Lost Sheep; September 9, 2012 at 12:53 AM.
Old September 7, 2012, 09:54 PM   #15
Slopemeno

Find yourself a clean, used Super Blackhawk. Dollar for dollar, pound for pound one of the best performance bargains going.

Very little goes wrong with them- about the only thing I might suggest would be to keep a spare base pin latch assembly handy, though I haven't had any problem with either of mine.
Old September 7, 2012, 10:02 PM   #16
Lost Sheep

Welcome to the forum and thanks for asking our advice

I just bought a used 7.5" barrel Redhawk with scope rings (the "Hunter" model) for $475 on GunBroker. Not delivered yet. To my dismay, the price is climbing to $570 (shipping, transfer fees, money order charges and postage), but there are bargains out there if you can sit and wait.

The Dan Wesson 44 Magnums are priced way below their value. Very strong guns. But they are HEAVY.

I know how family budgets can go. You are a wise head of household to take into account all the factors involved. Talk to your wife about budgeting ammo costs into the gun purchase. Then fold reloading gear into the allocation. 44 Mag hunting ammo can get pricey and you can load excellent quality hunting loads for very close to the same price as you can load practice ammo (except for the actual bullet, which will still be a premium price, but still paying a 50 cent premium for the bullet only is less painful than paying $1.50 for the same bullet in a commercially loaded cartridge no better than your handloaded one).

Budget for a good holster, too.

Lost Sheep
Old September 7, 2012, 10:20 PM   #17
mavracer

Quote:
The "New Vaquero" are built on a medium frame, have fixed sights, seem ideally suited for the CASS (Cowboy Action Shooting Sports) and are not suitable for the heavy loads, in Colt 45 or in 44 Magnum, or probably even 44 Special.
There is no new vaquero 44 mag.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old September 7, 2012, 10:26 PM   #18
2500ak

Depending on where you are it's never a good idea to skimp on something you plan on using for bear/moose/mountain lion etc... protection. You mention using it as a bear gun.

This is a record year for bear maulings, might use that as a good argument for not skimping on quality and maybe going a little over budget if you have to. .44 is a good round for it. Just make sure you get something that can stomach hot loads like the HSM Bear Loads, Buffalo Bore, Corbon etc...
Old September 7, 2012, 10:46 PM   #19
Meditator

Ruger Super Redhawk

Look around! I got a 9" barrel Super Redhawk in excellent condition for $500 and also another 7.5" w/ scope for $475- out the door just recently.

Do the same for 44 ammo, especially in local ads- just got about 150 rds of Hornady/ Remington/ Winchester for about .$50 / round locally, as the owner decided to go w/ something else smaller. I am sure you can find the same deal.

Last edited by Meditator; September 7, 2012 at 10:57 PM.
Old September 8, 2012, 01:59 AM   #20
2500ak

One more thing I will say about the Taurus is that the price, durability, the lifetime warranty, and the fact that every sporting goods shop I've ever been to has a wall dedicated to these things doesn't discourage me from carrying it out in the bush, or when I'm fishing in the rain, climbing up the side of a mountain, or camping like a really expensive or hard to find revolver.

If I only had a S&W 500, and I paid 1000$ for it I would be a lot more likely to tell myself "Oh, it's only a short hike," or "It is raining pretty hard outside, probably best not to spoil the finish," and leave it in the safe.

That is always the day you run into mr. bear. At least where I'm from, I used to lug around a big 12-gauge Wingmaster 870. The day I decided it was just too heavy, and left it behind I found this:

and this:

I wear size 14 for reference

And then the bear itself.

Fortunately I was downwind, and got out of there. Point is, always buy the gun you'll actually carry. Guns left in safes don't stop bears.
Old September 8, 2012, 04:14 AM   #21
Pond, James Pond

Whilst I am not very experienced in guns, and own one of the models you've eliminated (4" Ruger Redhawk), I would echo what some have said:

Settle on a model that will meet your needs, then look around for a used model at the price you want to pay, rather than get an inferior design/model purely because it is new.

Personally, I have a real penchant for the "tankness" of a Super Redhawk in .44 Mag, but those don't come up used around here so my "little" Redhawk will have to do!!

Good luck (and definitely get into reloading: after the initial bite and learning stage, it is a hoot!!)
Old September 8, 2012, 09:40 AM   #22
Edward429451

For a 500 budget you could get a brand new Ruger New Model Convertible. It's 45 Colt but new, can handle BB loads, and has a 45 ACP cylinder. A good deal no matter how you look at it.
Old September 8, 2012, 11:46 AM   #23
Mystro

You can get a used Taurus Raging Bull 44mag very cheap. Its a big tough hunting gun that will hold up to hot loads. Taurus makes a pretty good money for the money. If your not gonna shoot it a lot and want a easier carry gun then get a Tracker. If money isnt a object and you want the toughest gun then the Ruger Super Redhawk is the king. Its so overbuilt, its used a lot as a platform for wildcat calibers.
Old September 8, 2012, 05:21 PM   #24
shafter

I would definitely go with a Ruger vs a Taurus. I've never owned a Taurus but why go with something that is hit or miss when you can have a top quality firearm?

I've seen 44mag Blackhawks $500 or less on a fairly frequent basis. Also if you reload consider a 45 Colt Blackhawk. From what I hear they can be loaded quite hot. Very hot actually.
Old September 8, 2012, 07:51 PM   #25
Mayor Al

One important factor not directly addressed is whether the gun is Single or Double action. The Taurus and Smith's are generally double action while the Rugers except for the redhawk are single action. That can be a big difference depending on your shooting style and reloading speed???

With the budget limits you are looking at I would focus on a Taurus Raging Bull SS ported or one of the other Stainless ported Trackers. But I favor the double-action revolvers.

if you want a Single action for less money, get a Virginia Dragoon, JP Saur & Sohns, or other Import...for under $400 on the net.

Tags
.44 magnum , revolvers