The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 9, 2011, 02:26 PM   #26
MLeake

WebleyMkV, that may be true, as far as admissibility in court goes.

In the event of a confiscation scheme, it probably wouldn't get your guns back, after the fact. I don't know how it would play out in civil court, as lawsuits against the Federal government don't tend to have high success rates.

The phone call may say handgun or long gun, but the 4473 has make, model, and SN.
Old September 10, 2011, 07:59 AM   #27
Webleymkv

Quote:
In the event of a confiscation scheme, it probably wouldn't get your guns back, after the fact. I don't know how it would play out in civil court, as lawsuits against the Federal government don't tend to have high success rates.
What type of confiscation scheme are we talking about here? If they're confiscating guns thay they believe are linked to another crime, again their "registration" is illegal so they have no case based on that alone.

Now, if we're talking about some sort of Orwellian Dianne Feinstien "turn them all in Mr. and Mrs. America" type of thing, well I think at that point we'd have bigger problems than ATF backdoor regristration. Thanks to NICS, the ATF would know that you'd bought a gun of some sort at one time or another and also that private-party sales are not uncommon. I very highly doubt that "No, Agent Jackboot, I've never bought a gun from a private individual" is going to keep them from serving their search warrant.

Quote:
The phone call may say handgun or long gun, but the 4473 has make, model, and SN.
The 4473 stays with the FFL until he or she goes out of business. Unless a gun that I've bought winds up used in a crime, the 4473 is just one more piece of paper in a mountain of others. Again, even if the ATF is keeping a secret database based on 4473's, there really isn't much that they can do with that information by itself.