The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 16, 2011, 09:05 PM   #1
new_camper

Mossberg 185D

Hi everybody, I have read a lot on this forum and have decided to join up hoping that you all could help me with a few questions. I have a mossberg 185d that has been sitting for years, and I would like to get it out and start using it a little. I was going to disassemble it and inspect it thoroughly, and was wondering if these shotguns have any trouble prone parts to look out for, to make it safe to use. Also are these shotguns able to shoot modern shells and slugs? Thanks in advance
Old April 16, 2011, 09:44 PM   #2
TxGun

The Mossberg bolt actions are generally good, rugged shotguns, IME. The 185D 20 gauge will accept modern 2 3/4" shells only (not the 3" 20 gauge shells), but that shouldn't be any problem. Unless the gun has been abused and developed some sort of problem, it should be fine. Unless you really know your way around the gun, I would disassemble it only far enough to give it a thorough cleaning. Parts for those are beginning to get scarce.
Old April 16, 2011, 09:49 PM   #3
Scout

I have had the 385 KB for 30 years. It has had only one problem and that is the magazine follower spring failed. I replaced the whole magazine and I'm back in business. It's a good gun, now in the hands of my fourteen year old son.
Old April 16, 2011, 10:11 PM   #4
new_camper

@TxGun
I was going to take the bolt out to clean the shotgun and have read that they sometimes come apart, how can that be avoided?

Last edited by new_camper; April 16, 2011 at 10:30 PM.
Old April 17, 2011, 02:22 AM   #5
TxGun

Not sure what you mean by "coming apart". I haven't had a bolt action Mossberg for years, but I never had that problem when I did. Now, I wouldn't advise trying to take the bolt itself apart unless there is some problem that requires it. Just field strip the gun...I doubt if there is a need to detail strip it. A field strip and good cleaning is likely all that is necessary on a bolt action shotgun. If the bolt seems tricky to remove to you, just clean it in-place with solvent and Q-tips. Or, take the metal out of the wood and blast out everything with Gun Scrubber, then re-lube. If the bolt does come free easily, you can throw it in a can of kerosene and let it soak...then re-oil as needed. Take your time. Think about what you're about to do. Use gun screwdrivers if you go at any screws. You'll be good to go. It's a good, solid little shotgun that will last forever if you take care of it.

Last edited by TxGun; April 17, 2011 at 02:51 AM.
Old April 17, 2011, 12:01 PM   #6
new_camper

Thanks for the help
Old April 17, 2011, 12:50 PM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

It is a 2 piece bolt iirc. But don't sweat it... Just pull it back to stop and pull trigger to release it... Spray it down with solvent and re-oil lightly.

They are a good utilitarian gun and short of severe abuse, they are tuff as heck.

Brent
Old April 17, 2011, 12:55 PM   #8
schutzen

Mossberg Parts

I would advise you to purchase an extra magazine before they become unavailable. One good source is Havlin Sales in Missiouri. They specilize ion Mossberg parts.
Old April 17, 2011, 02:37 PM   #9
new_camper

I also have a quick question about chokes, should I just get the other screw on chokes that are missing, or get an adjustable one like on later models? And what choke for slugs?

Sorry for all of the questions, I guess all of you have figured out that this is going to be my first shotgun (but not first firearm)
Old April 18, 2011, 06:03 AM   #10
BANG

New Camper,

I have a Model 190 which is essentially the same gun but in 16 ga. with the adjustable "C-Lect-Choke" versus the individual chokes of the 185. The bolt can be disassembled easly, but it does not "fall" appart except that the front half will come off with one-half turn. I wouldn't remove the nut securing the firing pin spring because it sets the pressuer of the firing pin.

Personally, I would prefer having the individual chokes only because my C-Lect-Choke does not pattern well. Even though I don't use this gun very often, the only problem I have had is that red safety button by the safety lever went and got lost. I purchased an extra magazine (aftermarket), but it never fit well, even with some fine tuning. I have the original magazine which fits nicely. For slugs, use an open choke--hopefully more open than modified.

Last edited by BANG; April 18, 2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old April 18, 2011, 10:29 AM   #11
new_camper

Thanks for the info. Now I can't wait to get to the range