The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 8, 2011, 08:23 PM   #1
Mosinnagant

Mossberg 500 persuader.

I just bought aMossberg 500 persuader(12ga) 20in bbl last night and it is a cylinder bore. I was wondering if it would do well with no. 4 turkey loads on turkey and what is the maximum effective range for turkey. Thank you.
Old April 8, 2011, 10:24 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Most dedicated turkey guns have oodles of choke, your otherwise fine gun has none. If you pick a load wisely and limit your shots to say, 20 yards, it will work.

Most turkey hunters cannot get turkeys regularly into 20 yards.

Used 500 barrels abound. Get one with choke tubes and use something like a Full or Extra Full choke tube. Test some loads and good luck.....
Old April 8, 2011, 10:24 PM   #3
idek

That might be something you'd have to test yourself. Typically, turkey hunting involved the tightest chokes out there, so a cylinder choke is clearly not ideal.

Turkey hunters usually aim for the head/neck of a turkey, which isn't a big target. Some people check turkey hunting patterns by shooting a 12" target. If approximately .6 ounces of shot are hitting the target (about a third of the pellets from a 1-3/4 oz. load), that's maybe close to your maximum range. That might mean 40 yards in some guns. I'd suspect--and this is just a guess really--that you'd have to be closer to 20 yards to put that much shot on target. Not to say you couldn't kill one from farther away, but it might not be as clean as it would be will a more optimal setup.

EDIT: I wrote this before I saw Dave's comments. sorry for the redundancies.
Old April 8, 2011, 10:59 PM   #4
lamarw

Ms. Palin has never been in combat or a gun fight. Unfourtunately, you must of listened to her advice on the incorrect choke. What happens when you run out of ammo in combat? Ask her that question. I think you already know the answer since she is retreating in the polls. Good Riddance. :barf: I realise this in not gun related, but you had her poor soul tagged to the bottom of your post.

I would also go with a full choke and at least # 2 shot. Hope for a clean kill at about 35 to 40 yards.

I have been in combat, and I could of provided you with much better advice. Not sure you need such qualifications for turkey hunting.

I did have turkey c-rations for lunch on Thanksgiving Day in Nam. I remember the day well. Our unit was scouting new offensive territory for our next mission. It was a very grueling day.

Last edited by lamarw; April 8, 2011 at 11:08 PM.
Old April 9, 2011, 10:57 AM   #5
SoilworK777

A note on buying a second barrel; if I'm not mistaken the 20 inch security model has the barrel lug up higher than the 18.5 inch model. If my thinking is correct, a second barrel might not fit or there may be a specific one you have to buy.
Old April 9, 2011, 11:33 AM   #6
TheKlawMan

Soilwork has a valid but not exactly complete point. You can get a 28" Maverick barrel that will fit an 8 shot 500. This may be a little long for Turkey, though from what I have read, and that may make it impractical for your needs.

"88™ and 500® 8-SHOT MODEL BARRELS (3" chambers)

28" VENT RIB PORTED
ACCU-SET
BLUE (8-shot)
$133"

If a 20" barrel will work for Turkey, consider having your's machined for choke tubes.