The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 27, 2010, 01:12 PM   #1
jesus5150

Benelli Problems

I have the Benelli Nova Pump 12ga. Right on the side of the Barrel it says it accepts 3.5 inch shells. So I found a killer deal at walmart on 3.5 inch .00Buck so i bought them and took them home. I loaded one in and tried to chamber it and it comes up halfway and gets stuck, i tried ratcheting the slide fast and hard, and it gets halfway up and becomes wedged. So I took the barrel off and tried it and it chambers almost everytime if i put a little elbow grease on it. So i've got the 28" Barrel, do I have to swap out a piece or something?
Old January 27, 2010, 02:12 PM   #2
dgludwig

It should work as is; with no extra "elbow grease" needed. I'd take it back to Wal Mart and have them send it back to the factory for adjustment/repair.
Old January 27, 2010, 03:16 PM   #3
bigwrench

The thing I see alot of guiding waterfowl hunters is that alot of guys shoot 2 3/4" shells at ducks and then load up 3 1/2" shells when the honkers start flying, only to find that the fowling in the chamber from the shorter shells prevents proper loading and ejecting of the longer shells. I suspect that is what you are experiancing, and a good cleaning might be the remedy.
Old January 27, 2010, 03:44 PM   #4
grubbylabs

I would do what bigwrench suggested and clean the gun good before you give up, then try it again, if it still does not work put measuring stick on the shell and see if it is out of spec. Does it not chamber all the 3.5 or just the one?
Old January 27, 2010, 05:46 PM   #5
jesus5150

It's spotless, less than a hundred rounds through it. I traded a nintendo Wii for it and it was in original box. But I only tried loading one of the 5 shells, walmart winchester greybox.... I'll try another tonight, but it wasn't even close. it was almost as if it was trying to fold in half on the way up.

Now i'm very new to shotguns, this is my first (I have another thread about sawing down rules for when I get an HD shotgun and it shows my lack of knowledge) So bear with me when i try to describe this...

Covering the bottom of the opening where you load there's a hinged piece of metal that you must move up with the face of the shell when inserting rounds. then when it's loaded it pushes the round back and (I'm assuming) that metal piece acts as a guide from the tube to the chamber. It's as if the angle of that is too steep and the edge of the tube is hitting the side of the shell when it angles up. Does that help?
Old January 27, 2010, 05:49 PM   #6
grubbylabs

open the chamber and slide a shell in, and close it and see if it chambers.
Old January 27, 2010, 05:52 PM   #7
jesus5150

I'm not sure what you mean, like open the breach, put the shell right into the barrel and see if it closes securely?
Old January 27, 2010, 06:02 PM   #8
grubbylabs

YUP.
Old January 27, 2010, 06:08 PM   #9
bigwrench

So from what you are describing the shell is getting stuck between magazine and barrell, before entering chamber?
Old January 27, 2010, 06:08 PM   #10
jesus5150

ok i'll try those things tonight and post my findings tomorrow. please check back!
Old January 27, 2010, 06:11 PM   #11
grubbylabs

Even though you have not fired that many shots through it there could still be some left over residue that is causing your problem unless it is not feeding right. I have a Nova and that thing eats any thing I give it.
Old January 27, 2010, 06:30 PM   #12
jesus5150

Right but it's not even getting near the barrel. it's not coming all the way out of the magazine.
Old January 27, 2010, 06:42 PM   #13
grubbylabs

There is a button on the bottom of the forearm make sure it is not pressed. The only reason to press the button is so you can open the chamber without feeding a shell. Fore example you have 2.75" shell in the gun and for what ever reason you want to chamber a 3" shell, you can press the button 1/2 way through the pump cycle (on the way down) and it will eject the shell in the chamber without feeding a new shell. This leaves the chamber clear for you to either load a shell by hand or close the chamber and leave it empty.
Old January 27, 2010, 06:43 PM   #14
dgludwig

Take it back to Wal Mart. Or to a gunsmith or to the local trap club or to anybody who knows something about shot guns. What you are experiencing as you are describing it doesn't sound at all normal.
Old January 27, 2010, 06:55 PM   #15
bigwrench

Have you tryed to load more than one round in the magazine, and then chamber round? Could be a weak mag spring or a burr on the mag follower?
Old January 28, 2010, 11:09 AM   #16
jesus5150

So surprisingly, it was the one shell... Wouldn't you know it? I got the other 4 out and they all chambered just fine. it looked identical but it consistently got jammed.
Old January 28, 2010, 05:33 PM   #17
grubbylabs

Take a set of calipers to it and see just how identical it really it.