The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 26, 2009, 11:03 PM   #1
Uncle Buck

30-30 Load Data Needed

Hey guys, need your help again. I have checked my reloading manuals and the websites for several manufacturers and can not find the info I am looking for.

I want to load 150 grain boat tail soft points (Spitzer design) for my 30-30. I will keep one in the chamber and one in the tube (I am aware of the danger of having more than one in the tube). They are the Speer product number 2022. They were given to me and I would like to use them.

Currently I only have IMR 3031 powder with me, so of course that was what I was hoping to find data for. But going through all my manuals the only bullets I see are for either flat or round nosed bullets. Again, I understand the dangers of putting more than one Spitzer type bullet in the tube.

Using IMR 3031, I find a starting charge of 26.6 gr with a maximum charge of 31.4 gr. Using the same weight (150 grain), but different type, of bullet, how would I adjust this charge? Back it off 10%?

Has anyone else found a good charge for these bullets in a 30-30? What type of powder do you use? How many grains of powder do you use?
Old November 26, 2009, 11:21 PM   #2
LHB1

Quote:"Using IMR 3031, I find a starting charge of 26.6 gr with a maximum charge of 31.4 gr. Using the same weight (150 grain), but different type, of bullet, how would I adjust this charge? Back it off 10%?"

That's what I would do. Back off 10% from starting load and test using normal procedures. Be sure to check your planned cartridge OAL for proper feeding and chambering using a dummy cartridge with no powder or primer. DON'T forget to limit your magazine capacity to one cartridge as you said.
Old November 27, 2009, 12:12 AM   #3
Gbro

I see Hornady is listing a 150gr FTX bullet for 30-30 but no loading data.

Then here I am, just moved, most things in boxes yet, had 2 loading manuals in my hand 2 days ago and today I can't find either of them The wife said she hasn't seen them, but of course she would say that while in the process of storing them in a safe place where I will probably never find them
(Not on purpose, just her nature)
Old November 27, 2009, 12:32 AM   #4
NWPilgrim

Another thing you can do is compare the length of both bullets. Add the difference in bullet length to your overall length in the load data for the flat point. This means your load data has to have a short enough OAL to allowing adding the difference and still stay under the max OAL.

What you are trying to achieve with this method is to seat the base of the bullet at the same depth into the case as the flat point would be seated.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old November 27, 2009, 04:37 AM   #5
micksis86

I know you said you wanted to use the spitzer but I have to recommend the Speer 150grain Hotcor bullets because i absolutely love them. Out of my marlin it is as accurate as alot of spitzers out to the useful range of a 30-30.
I get abou .8 of an inch with a fixed 2 scout scope. Just a thought when you're finised with the spitzers.
Old November 27, 2009, 12:57 PM   #6
Tom Matiska

Quote:
I see Hornady is listing a 150gr FTX bullet for 30-30 but no loading data.
They are listing it now:

http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/...30_win_ftx.pdf

Note the FTX data is significantly less than they publish for non-FTX bulllets in their previous manuals. It is for the #30395(30-30), not the #30396(308 Marlin) offering. (same weight, different groove)

My Speer #9 list bolt action rifle loads for the 30-30, and Nosler #4 list pointed loads in the pistol section. Both sources us the same max for pointed loads as they do for conventional 30-30 loads.
Old November 27, 2009, 05:16 PM   #7
Uncle Buck

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the help. I am printing off the info I get and saving it in my reloading book.
Old November 27, 2009, 06:57 PM   #8
LHB1

How about some feedback later on methods/procedures and results? Would like to know what you tried and how it worked.
Old November 27, 2009, 07:34 PM   #9
Uncle Buck

Will do.

Right now what I have tried, with very good results is 29.0 gr of IMR 3031. I was able to hit the target with five shots, all with-in a one inch group, at 150 yards.
I do not have a chrono, so I could not tell you the velocity. They fed and chambered nicely. I need to set some other targets up at 200 and 250 yards and see what I get.
I am very happy with this load.
Old November 27, 2009, 09:16 PM   #10
Gbro

Quote:
They are listing it now:
That is the load data for the 160gr.

Quote:
Then here I am, just moved, most things in boxes yet, had 2 loading manuals in my hand 2 days ago and today I can't find either of them
Quote:
The wife said she hasn't seen them, but of course she would say that while in the process of storing them in a safe place where I will probably never find them
I found the one I was looking for and "I" was the one who put it in a safe spot.
(Got to apologize to the wife, "Again")
My old Dog-eared Lyman, not even sure of which edition, as the cover is missing.
Anyway the 150gr jacked 30-30 Win is as follows
IMR 3031 starting 30.0gr. 2096fps --------- Max (compressed) 33.5gr 2347fps
OAL 2.550"

Sierra 5th,
150gr FN
IMR3031 Starting 27.5gr. 1900fps------- Max 31.1gr. 2250fps COL 2.520"

Then while my Hornady 3rd edition didn't have a table for 150 gr. RN for my .270Win. but put in a foot note as follows under the 150 gr. Spire Point,
Quote:
These data may also be used with the .270 cal. 150 gr. RN, though overall length may vary.
And that was the 1st cartridge/load I reloaded with a press. Used lee hand loaders previous to that.
I would use the load table for the same weight and start low and work up with caution.