The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 24, 2009, 08:54 PM   #1
snipecatcher

Wilson case trimmer or Hornady Lock n' Load

I loathe trimming cases with the trimmer I have right now, and I want a powered unit. I can't decide between the Wilson w/ micrometer adjustment from Sinclair and power adapter, or the Hornady Lock n' Load case prep center (built in power.) From what I've read, the Wilson unit doesn't function too well with the case deburring kit. It would probably be more precise though. I can't find any reviews of the Hornady Lock n Load online, but it seems to be pretty well thought out. The Wilson would come out to about $260 with everything I need, and the Hornady is $300, not including shell holders, which isn't that big of a deal.
Old August 24, 2009, 09:14 PM   #2
dmazur

If you're willing to part with that kind of coin, you might consider this -

http://www.giraudtool.com/prod02.htm

From what I understand, this unit has no equal. Simple as sharpening a pencil, and so fast you just won't believe it.
Old August 24, 2009, 09:23 PM   #3
Farmland

This is another one to consider in that price range.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...B_Case_Trimmer
Old August 24, 2009, 09:26 PM   #4
rn22723

The Rolls Royce is Giruad! But, if you have Dillon 650 with the case feeder or a Dillon Super 1050.......then mounting a Dillon trimmer would be a great way to save prep time! Otherwise NOTHING BEATS A GIRAUD for trimming cases in volume!

The Hornady is a nice stout tool, and it is versatile. But, for low volumes of brass in many calibers it may well be the best option.

Noting is more precsie then a Wilson Case Trimmer, but they are slow.
Old August 24, 2009, 09:45 PM   #5
snipecatcher

That Giraud looks AMAZING, but I really don't shoot enough to justify it right now. It would be over $500 when it's all said and done, then I would also have to pay sales tax (TX resident.) If I ever do get into high volume shooting, that will be something to consider though. Is anyone running the Wilson with a power source?
-Dan
Old August 26, 2009, 12:09 AM   #6
snipecatcher

I went with the Wilson. Ordered it with the Sinclair base and Shark-fin adapter. Got all of my shell holders from Midway. I also ordered a power adapter so I can either use a drill or rig up an electric motor in a more permanent configuration if need be. I'll let everyone know how it works out. Thanks for all of the advice, greatly appreciated.
-Dan
Old August 26, 2009, 07:32 PM   #7
Luciano

Where did you get the trimmer and accesories at?