The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 2, 2010, 01:02 PM   #1
peteyb

Which model Remington 870 should I purchase

So I am in the market for a reliable shotgun in the range of less than 500$. It will be primarily used for home defense, and taking to the range to shoot very often.

I have decided on the Rem 870 pump as the best shotgun for my needs. Anybody have any other suggestions on a different shotgun that I may not have looked at?

So if I go for the 870, does anybody have suggestions on which model to get? Should I just get the plain 870 Express, the tactical version, the Knoxx stock version?

Any feedback is appreciated.

PS - all I seem to find are express and wingmaster models of the 870. I know about the wingmasters, but what exactly is the difference between a non-express and an express model?
Old December 2, 2010, 01:18 PM   #2
PetahW

AFAIK, The "Express" model is an econo version, with matte finish, no checkering, and limited barrel options, etc.

The basic materials/mechanics are identical to any other 870, though.

Old December 2, 2010, 01:22 PM   #3
zippy13

The 870 Express was introduced to provide a lower cost option to the original Wingmaster. Initially the main difference was in the exterior: matte black finished metal instead of polished blue and a satin hardwood stock instead of the high gloss walnut. Since then the Expresses have been fitted with a variety of synthetic stocks and some of the machined interior parts have been replaced with cast ones. With the popularity of the Express, I think it's now available in more variations than the original Wingmaster.

I'd much prefer a used Wingmaster to a new Express but I'm an old school gray beard. YMMV
Old December 2, 2010, 01:56 PM   #4
gregjc9

I recently sold an Express and bought a Wingmaster. Fit and finish is so much nicer, and the action is a lot smoother. I'm so much happier with the WM over the Express.

Greg
Old December 2, 2010, 03:46 PM   #5
Deerhunter

I have and shoot a 870 Express Mag. I really like it. I just recently made it my all time deer gun. Decided to leave the scope and slug barrel on it all the time now. My buddy just bought a 870 Express Super Mag. He really likes it. Both of us have the matte black finish with the black synthetic stock. I haven't had any issues with mine and he hasn't had any with his. There is really no need to get all fancy with it, no need for the tacticool version. The 870s hold up and are good guns.
Old December 2, 2010, 05:01 PM   #6
silvercorvette

I have a few shotguns but the 870 was purchased for home land security (my home and my land). I wanted something that was reliable enough to trust my life to and at 29 inches with the stock folded it's short enough to maneuver in tight spaces. If a shotgun with a long barrel is used it can stick out far enough to be grabbed and taken away. especially if you are coming to a corner with barrel sticking out a few feet in front of you. Even if you have a short barrel do your best to keep it from sticking out in front of you. Unfortunately a short barrel is less suited for hunting and sport shooting. You can get by with using a short barrel for skeet but you will be at a disadvantage.

I bought mine a few years ago for about $300 (I think it was the mid 3s.

At the time I bought mine Remington made them with a folding stock, I don't think they offer it anymore so you may have to remove the stock and replace it with an aftermarket. Please don't trust my word on the stock check for yourself, they may still make a model with a folding stock and I may not be aware of it.

Here is a picture of it next to my coach gun

Old December 2, 2010, 10:06 PM   #7
joegator

I'd stay with a standard Express with a 28 inch barrel if you are planning on using the gun at the range. You can get the Express with either laminated or synthetic stocks for less than $300. Check with your local range or gun club as some ranges will not allow a tactical shotgun or any shotgun with less than a 26 inch barrel on the skeet/trap range.

The other viable option is the Nova.
Old December 2, 2010, 10:15 PM   #8
peteyb

thanks joe. can you give me a couple of websites (or stores in the MA area if you happen to know of any) where i can find the express 28" for less than 300?

The only store that I went to wanted 395$ and that was after I had him knock a few bucks off.
Old December 2, 2010, 11:00 PM   #9
43FLcracker

Ive got an Express. Very happy with it, never had any problems. Great gun for the money.

It all depends on what you wanna spend.
Old December 2, 2010, 11:55 PM   #10
fourrobert13

Quote:
thanks joe. can you give me a couple of websites (or stores in the MA area if you happen to know of any) where i can find the express 28" for less than 300?

The only store that I went to wanted 395$ and that was after I had him knock a few bucks off.
My local walmart has the express 28" for $270. You may check there, or a Basspro or the like. I just picked up a used one over on auctionarms.com for $175 delivered and it looks new. Express models of any configuration are every where.
Old December 3, 2010, 01:25 AM   #11
Incognito

Best prices I've seen them at are Big "5" Sporting Goods, Sportman's Warehouse, and Bass Pro Shop (always wait for a sale). Big 5 usually sells them with both a long & short barrel as a combo, so you have the best of both. An 18" barrel is good for CQC, but you need to employ slightly different tactics regardless. Whether you want something fancy or just plain Jane, it's all dependant on what you want. Personally I'd take parkerizing over gloss blue anyday. I've had my Magnum Express since '98 and it runs like a champ.
Old December 3, 2010, 05:53 PM   #12
ronto

A Mossberg 500A would be a better choice:
(1) Physical location of the safety and slide release.
(2) 1 more round in the mag.
(3) Shell elevator does not get in the way when loading.
(4) Duel shell extractors
(5) Quality is just as good as the 870 and costs less.
"We will do this: we will hang together, we will keep our organization, our arms, our discipline, our hatred of oppression, until one universal shout goes up from an admiring age that this Missouri Cavalry Division preferred exile to submission, death to dishonor".

General Joseph O. Shelby, CSA (1830-1897)

The only Confederate General who refused to surrender himself or his 1,000+ "Iron Brigade".
Old December 4, 2010, 03:35 PM   #13
peteyb

So Ive been looking at every local store around me for Mossburg 500's or Remington 870's in MA and I have managed to find a Rem 870 28" barrel for 309.99$ + tax.

You guys think this is a good deal or should I wait and try to find a better price.
Old December 4, 2010, 04:06 PM   #14
Incognito

$309 is about the standard going rate. If it were me, I'd wait until after the holidays and cash in on a sale. You should be able to find one well under $300.
Old December 4, 2010, 04:11 PM   #15
peteyb

Thats what I was hoping that there would be sales after christmas but before new years. Where do you think will have it for well under 300$ cuz Ive only found one place out of about 10 that have it currently under 350$
Old December 4, 2010, 06:46 PM   #16
Incognito

Here in Colorado the big three are Big "5" Sporting Goods, Sportman's Warehouse, and Bass Pro Shop. Gander Mtn. is OK but too pricy. A few months ago Remington had a 20% off sale at Sportman's Warehouse on all their rifles. Picked up a 700 SPS Varmint in .308 Win. for $325 (regular price around $400). Big 5 regularly has the 870 on sale for around $269. Right now they have a Mossberg "combo" with both a 28” vent-rib barrel and a 18" bead sight barrel included for $269 (link).

If you really want it by New Year's, then just buy it. Realistically you'd only be saving like what? $50? Not all that much.
Old December 4, 2010, 06:52 PM   #17
youngunz4life

just answering your thread:

the remington 870 police magnum is a very good shotgun which many, many law enforcement agencies use as their issued shotgun. I don't have one, but I have shot my buddy's a lot. I went with the mossberg 500 myself, but I originally was going to get the 870.

*probably more than express & a little harder to find*

ps -in the end, you'll get the right one for you