The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 11, 2013, 06:14 PM   #1
Left hand

Left-handed Shooters?

I am new to shooting and was looking for a left-ejecting semi-auto .22. I was suprised when could find anything, not even on forums, so I called Savage to ask if they would make one. They said they had a prototype made a couple months ago but that corporate rejected it believing that there was not enough demand. I would love to have a left handed .22 in semi-auto. If anyone else wants a left hand Savage 64 they should let Savage know through customer service or their facebook page, maybe if we let companies know there's demand we can get a left-handed rifle for a leftie that isn't a bolt. Is anyone here a leftie who thinks there could be at least one handed semi?
Old January 11, 2013, 06:19 PM   #2
ChasingWhitetail91

I shoot my marlin semi .22lr left handed, and it ejects out of the right side. Never had a problem with it effecting my shooting.
Old January 11, 2013, 07:24 PM   #3
DFrame

Even most somewhat left friendly semi autos still eject out the right side. I have burn marks on my right arm to attest to it. A handful of semi-autos eject straight down which is the way I would prefer. The Browning comes to mind.
Old January 12, 2013, 01:00 AM   #4
Tucker 1371

Been a lefty my whole life, never once fired a left handed rifle of any type. It doesn't bother me but you do get a good whiff of all the gasses coming back through the action, especially if it's an M16/AR. Good thing I like the smell
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old January 12, 2013, 07:40 AM   #5
thallub

Buy a Browning; it ejects out the bottom.
Old January 12, 2013, 07:51 AM   #6
TMD

Other then a bullpup design rifle I've never had a problem shooting left handed.
Old January 12, 2013, 05:33 PM   #7
RickB

What's the issue with right-side ejection and lefties?
Old January 12, 2013, 06:58 PM   #8
berettaprofessor

Rick the only issue is that the LH often goes with a left-eye dominant, and if you shoot that way, SOME guns will flip the empties into your right ear. but I don't notice the problem with a rifle any more than I do with a right-ejecting handgun and it's only a few models....like an AR without a deflector.
Old January 12, 2013, 09:01 PM   #9
elDiabloLoco

I learned to shoot left handed before I was old enough to realize there was a reason that it could be a problem. Everyone back then thought it odd, as I am right handed in almost every other activity. (Also shoot pool sticks lefty....nothing else)

FWIW, my inexpensive and amazingly accurate Glenfield/Marlin model 75 is never a problem when shooting left handed. Never notice any brass flying, and certainly never a problem with it. I also prefer operating a semi-auto's bolt(when needed) with the forward hand rather than the trigger hand. For lefty shooting, it's "right there".

The only gun that ever was really an issue left handed is a plain old bolt action. Shooting those taught me to shoot just as well either way. But never have tried a left-handed bolt. For some reason it seems to trouble righties when they see me shoot a right-hand bolt rifle left-handed. [boo-hoo....]

Being ambidextrous came in really handy when dove/duck hunting.....no fumbling around, the gun just comes up to whichever hand happens to be holding the grip near the trigger. Winner, winner, duck for dinner.

Many folks never learn to shoot weak-side. It's a great way to separate them from small amounts of cash in a friendly target shooting wager. Don't make the wager too large, cuz they might get angry when they find out you shoot better lefty than righty.
Old January 14, 2013, 07:58 PM   #10
RickB

Quote:
Rick the only issue is that the LH often goes with a left-eye dominant, and if you shoot that way, SOME guns will flip the empties into your right ear. but I don't notice the problem with a rifle any more than I do with a right-ejecting handgun and it's only a few models....like an AR without a deflector.
I'm left-eyed and left-handed, and have never had any issues with ejected cases hitting me, though I can see how it's possible. The 10/22 has to be about the most popular .22 rifle ever, and mine has never spit a case at me.
Old January 15, 2013, 06:57 PM   #11
Achilles11B

I'm a southpaw that carried an M4 and M249 in the eight years I spent in the Army, both right-side-eject weapons. With practice, you can become proficient. More emphasis on the training and less on the tools.
Old January 16, 2013, 01:47 AM   #12
alex0535

I remember getting hit with the empties from a Ruger 10/22 when I shot one as a child, I have not shot one in a long time so I can't really say how much it would bother me now.

That being said, I would love to see a Ruger 10/22 with left ejection and bolt handle as it would make it perfect for me to shoot as a left handed shooter.

I can't find left handed bolt action .308 that I like so I plan to build myself one around a custom left handed receiver and once i finish it I will never get rid of it.

I would like a left handed revolver, basically have the cylinder release on the other side and have the cylinder swing out to the right. Normally for everything other than pulling a trigger or bow string I am right handed. With a revolver like I describe it would make reloading it a lot more comfortable. Maybe I will get a Colt SAA one day as it is actually built to be used with the left hand.

I wish there were more left handed guns in general, it isn't just a lack left handed semi-autos as it is a general lack of left handed firearms.
Old January 16, 2013, 08:08 PM   #13
RickB

I think the real problem is a lack of left-handed SHOOTERS! If there were more, we'd have more left-handed guns.
DA revolvers are no problem to shoot (that is, reload) left-handed. One of the top competition revolver shooters in the country is a lefty, and his loading technique is just a bit different from what you see elsewhere.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YXtmQjSWEo
Old January 18, 2013, 02:26 PM   #14
bn12gg

^^^As noted above purchase the bottom ejecting Browning SA22. These fine semi auto 22's are built today in Japan. The Japanesse built SA22's are just as fine shooters as the original FN Belgian built rifles. JMB considered these semi autos one of his finest creations.

My Belgian is set up with a barrel mounted scope. This provides for excellent accuracy as these guns maybe taken down into two parts.

FWIW- absolutely fantastic semi auto.

David

ps-- I'm left handed.
Old January 18, 2013, 04:12 PM   #15
alex0535

There are a lot of guns I want. I remember seeing and holding a Browning SA22 at the gun shop one day. I like that its a takedown rifle and the bottom ejection. Sweet little rifle, definitely one I would like to own one day.
Old January 18, 2013, 11:41 PM   #16
GLK

Whether you can shoot a right handed rifle as a left handed person or not isn't the issue. Most all long guns today for a right handed persons are designed to expel their gases and garbage(in case of a catastrophic failure)out the right hand side as to keep that big gaping hole and all that other dangerous stuff as far away from the face of the right handed shooters as possible, and with guns specifically designed for left handed shooters the same is true. If you are a lefty and can find what you want/need in a left handed model, you're a fool not to get it.
Old January 22, 2013, 07:03 AM   #17
TRX

Some autoloaders vent gas back into my face when firing. I don't like that. Also, I've had a couple of pierced primers and one split case. Not an issue with a right-handed shooter, but it left me feeling like Wile E. Coyote. Many pistols also eject into my face.

I can hold and operate a gun right handed, but hitting anything specific requires the left eye. I've seen cross-over shooters, but that's just awkward for me.
Old January 22, 2013, 12:13 PM   #18
Fishbed77

Not to sound blunt, but try to learn to shoot right-handed.

My wife is left-handed, and she's learned that she finds it much easier to just shoot right-handed than try to adapt a left-hand stance to firearms that don't allow it.

The biggest hurdle would be eye dominance, but even that can be overcome.
Old January 22, 2013, 12:54 PM   #19
Hammer1

I have always enjoyed the lectures from right-handed people on how lefties should adopt and accept "minor" inconveniences. And there are always the Lefties who jump in to echo the right-hander's sentiments.

In my work, I require all those who work for me to use nothing but left-handed tools ranging from computer mouses, desks, and scissors to major difficult-to-use equipment. When I can, I even require them to drive cars and trucks designed for other countries.

I find that they enjoy the small adversity and never grumble.

Old January 22, 2013, 02:11 PM   #20
Fishbed77

Quote:
I have always enjoyed the lectures from right-handed people on how lefties should adopt and accept "minor" inconveniences.
Not lecturing. Just stating a fact that applies to my wife's experience. Your mileage may vary.

It's like anything else. The world won't always adapt to you, so you have to adapt to it.

I have bad eyesight. I could have gone around insisting that everyone else hold everything close so I can see it.

I got corrective lenses instead and moved on.
Old January 22, 2013, 04:23 PM   #21
Grant D

I'm left handed,and never had a problem shooting semi auto pistols,rifles,or shotguns.
I have a left handed Remington 870 Wingmaster,and a left handed Benelli,but I shoot my right handed Reminton 1100 the most.I guess it's just what you get used to.They all work for me.
Old January 22, 2013, 04:59 PM   #22
thallub

Quote:
FWIW- absolutely fantastic semi auto.
IMO: The Browning .22 is the finest .22 auo rifle out there. i have a Belgian version in .22 short and also a Japanese model. From 1922 until 1935 Remington made a .22 auto on the Browning patent-the model 24A. Like an idiot i gave mine to my son.
Old January 26, 2013, 08:32 AM   #23
Hummer70

I have shot left for over 50 years. I have two LH BSA MK III target rifles that are single shot and with good ammo (almost impossible to find now) will hit Bayer aspirin at 50 yards.

Other than those all my other shooting has been bolt guns and semi autos. the ARs with no bump to rear of ejection port or some 22 autos will allow brass to hit your right cheek but this can be corrected.

I think Savage marketing folks are correct, little market for such. Personally I would not make it a point to buy one.
Old January 26, 2013, 11:08 AM   #24
SurplusShooter

I am left handed and have never owned or a left handed gun and have never had a right handed gun put brass in my face. So you should be fine with a right handed gun.