The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 6, 1999, 09:33 AM   #1
GuyM

Does anybody have any suggestions on which powder to use when loading .357 carbine rounds? I am guessing a slower burning powder would be best, but if anybody has tested and found a favorite I would like to hear about the load.

Thanks
Old June 6, 1999, 11:21 AM   #2
Trapdoor Billy

Don't reload for a .357 rifle, but I would hazard a guess that what ever powders you use for pistol would work the best. Do load .44WCF for rifle and pistol and use the same load in both.

------------------
Trapdoor Billy
Indian Scout and Delaware Cowboy
Old June 8, 1999, 06:49 PM   #3
Reloader

I have had good luck with H-110 in rifle and revolver. Use the same load in rifle as revolver and get good results. Your heavier bullets (140-158) will stabilize better in the rifle,; mine is a Marlin.
Old June 11, 1999, 12:47 PM   #4
slabsides
Member In Memoriam

In my Marlin .357 I shoot the same load that I have always used in my handguns: 158 gr. jacketed over 15.0 gr. of 2400. It is good for 2 moa out to 100 yds, with the peep and post sights. I hear that W296 and H110 are good powders to use, too, but I started reloading a long time ago when 2400 was the standard, and it has always 'bin berry berry good to me'. I also load a mild plinking load with 160 gr. hardcast semi-wadcutters and 5.1 grs. Unique in .38 special cases. This is pretty accurate to 50 yards in my Microgroove barrel; makes a good small game load. For other stuff up to the 100 lb class, I load a factory 180 grain, or a Speer 185 flatpoint over 14 grs. of 4227. All these loads are lit by standard primers. WARNING: Your rifle and components may not like these recipes as mine does, so use them with caution, if you use them at all. slabsides

------------------
An armed man is a citizen; an unarmed man is a subject; a disarmed man is a slave.