The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 20, 2012, 01:44 AM   #1
Metal god

What kinds of problems Have you had with Del-Ton products

This question came up in another thread so I thought I would start a dedicated thread to see what you all have experiennced . I"m looking for people that own there complete rifles or parts .

I'll start , I have one complete Echo 316 that came from the factory with a FCG issue . It would fire 3 & 4 round burst on slow trigger release . Yep you think your done shooting and the gun says NO I'm going to burp out a few more . Easy fix replaced desconect , all done . It has worked great sense then , about 700rds so far . There CS turned out to be great once I gave them a chance to help me

The other one , I bought a complete rifle kit ( minus the stipped lower )from Midway . I had a PSA lower I used to build a custom rifle with the Del-Ton rifle kit parts ( barrel , upper reciever and BCG . I have not had any issues with this rifle at all , about 800rds .

Most of the issues I've read about has been with the bolt and most of them are older issues . I did read of a problem someone had this year with feeding issues . I have had some problems with some older 20rd Pmags I have . I do have 10 or 15 other mags from other makers including Magpul that have no issues in either gun so I have chaulked that up to the older mags .

I think the hardest I ran one was when I did a 100 round torture test on the Magpul flip up front sight on a gas block a few weeks ago . The gun had no problems shooting that 100rds . I fired 100rds in 82 sec timed . That does not seem all that fast at first untill you consider I'm in CA . Ten round max aloud per mag . I had to do 10 mag dumps with a bullet button in 82 sec so I was firing pretty fast . The gun was smoking when I got done . FYI the Magpul MBUS did not melt but it did lose zero by about 2MOA up and to the left .

What has your experiennces been using Del-Ton products Good or bad ?

.thanks Metal

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old November 20, 2012, 03:12 AM   #2
10-96

The one I had, basic 16" A3, ran fine and dandy for me- guessing 400-500rnds. Then I traded it to my Chief and he reported no problems, but I don't know how much use he and his kids got out of it. It came back to me and I put 120rnds through it before my son ran off with it (actually, I gifted it to him), and he's reported no problems from it. I do hope he's keeping it clean.

It was always my opinion that it was just as well made and finished as anything in the line of DPMS, Double Star, RRA, the older Bushmaster I have, and my Olympic lower. And when it was brand new, it had a less sluggish break-in than my R-Guns upper, which cleared up well enough to haul to a HP match after 40 rounds.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old November 20, 2012, 02:11 PM   #3
PoiDog

I just sold one to my shooting buddy. I had zero problems with it, but I didn't really shoot it much.

I only sold it because I bought a 24" barrel varmint version and really didn't need it anymore.

I had the flat top 16" model, bought it back in 2009. Telescoping stock, flash suppressor, and a "gasp" bayonet lug!

Had I not bought the varmint AR, I would have had no problems keeping the Del Ton and shooting it. The only real complaints I've heard on the net come from guys who say they use it every day for their work, LEO, security, etc. They're not fond of anything less than a Colt, Noveske, etc.

Since I don't use mine in that fashion, I'll never know if they're right.
Old November 20, 2012, 08:04 PM   #4
viciouskitty

I have had a del ton rifle kit 20 inch variety for about 3 years I've put around 900 to 1200 rounds not really sure how much exactly I've had a few stuck cases with wolf but that was cuz of lack of cleaning on my part. I even purchased a complete bcg from lmt but as of yet the original bolt is working fine, so for my own personal experience its good to go but I only use it for 3 gun and plinking
Old November 20, 2012, 08:57 PM   #5
Mobuck

Zero problems with any of the several DelTon uppers I've got/had. Just sighted in a 1-5x scope on a DelTon a few days ago. Getting 1" or less groups using AE 50 grain tipped ammo @100 yards.
Old November 21, 2012, 04:16 PM   #6
ohiomossyoak

I will be following this thread..I am new to ARs and have been looking at a Del-ton Echo 316H and a PSA 16'' M4 Premium Carbine model.....Still debating
Old November 21, 2012, 07:38 PM   #7
Mobuck

DelTon is a lower price point product that is functional and suitable for genreal purpose usage. I've sold a couple, one of which the buyer described his use as a "bullet hose". The one mentioned in my previous post was gifted to my older Son for use as a medium range coyote calling rifle. I was slightly surprised at the accuracy we got during sightin. Kind of makes me want to drag out one of the others I have on the shelf just to see if that one is a fluke.
Old November 22, 2012, 08:30 AM   #8
HKGuns

I have had zero problems with mine in casual shooting. It is accurate and I've not yet had a malf of any kind. I'm not surprised your son's was accurate, mine is very accurate. But alas, it doesn't get the M4 Carbine "Operator" stamp of approval and that doesn't matter to me as I'm not an "Operator" and hope never to have to pretend to be one.

I do not agree that Del-Ton is in the same league as Oly, DPMS etc...I think Del-ton is a step above those a bit behind Colt perhaps depending on whether you get a decent Colt or not.

Edit: I just saw the other thread and asked for a source for all of these Del-Ton problems. I've not seen or heard of that many folks who are unsatisfied with their Del-Ton rifles.

Last edited by HKGuns; November 22, 2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old November 22, 2012, 10:49 AM   #9
Metal god

Quote:
I'm not surprised your son's was accurate, mine is very accurate.
I have only put a scope on one of mine . I was able to shoot just over 1MOA @ 100yds . I used 77gr gold metal match . The barrel is 16" heavy 1-7 ,chrome lined . I have the stock trigger so thats not to bad .

Quote:
I do not agree that Del-Ton is in the same league as Oly, DPMS etc...I think Del-ton is a step above those
I do not agree either . I think my feelers got a little hurt when I heard that

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old November 22, 2012, 09:24 PM   #10
Pacman

Magpul sights shouldn't be mounted on the gas block due to the heat; it will melt the plastic sight. Troy or Yankee Hill manufactures a metal gas block site that will work with a Magpul rear.