The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 22, 2004, 04:55 PM   #1
glhman

comment on Kahr Arms

I am new to this forum so have mercy. I am going to be buying a new handgun with the full intent to conceal carry. I am looking at the Kahr PM9. Anyone have anything good or bad to say about this one?
Thanks
Old November 22, 2004, 06:14 PM   #2
2002gti

good: small, light , full power, $460 out the door

bad: i havn't shot it yet.
Old November 23, 2004, 05:37 PM   #3
Mike_B

I have a Kahr K40. I really like it and carried it for about a year before switching to mostly J-frames. It shot well and the trigger was pretty good. A little heavy though, I'd probably go for a polymer if I bought another one; which I have thought about doing.

Old November 24, 2004, 12:07 AM   #4
mikikanazawa

My first pistol was a Kahr K9. I know it's not the specific gun you're asking about, but inside of 1,000 rounds fired I went through two extractors and a slide stop pin. The slide stop failure wouldn't have rendered the gun useless in a fight, but the extractor failure definitely would have.
Old November 24, 2004, 07:19 AM   #5
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Kahr builds quite nice little firearms. Don't think I've ever seen a busted one in the shop, and neither has my gunsmith. The only time folks do bring them in is when they've reassembled them with the recoil assembly in backwards (which completely ties the gun up. )
Old November 24, 2004, 10:06 AM   #6
Northslope Nimrod

Khar

Buddy has the PM9. It isn't quite the shooter that my Browning Hi-power is or even my CZ RAMI. However, if you've got the bucks....get a Khar for concealed carry. Can't think of any better for comfortable concealment in a well made package.......Then buy another gun for the range......Like a Hi-power or CZ75......I'm a little biased.
Old November 24, 2004, 05:12 PM   #7
glhman

Will not be the only one

I have a Glock 17 , but the Kahr would be only for the CC part. It will fit into the pocket and is light. I need to find a range that has one to test fire. I just have heard from others with older Kahrs ( diff models) that were not real Good tesimony. Barrel probs and sending them back for tweaking etc. The local store claims they are a great buy.
Old November 24, 2004, 06:00 PM   #8
wingman

I prefer the steel frame Kahrs, the Mk9 2003 elite is just about perfect as
a small carry gun, it does weight more the the pm9. This is an opinion only,
I find the polymer frame kahrs of less quality however I think in time it
will improve. The mk9 (elite) has the best trigger I've seen in a small
auto.
Old November 24, 2004, 06:02 PM   #9
nobanforme

I carry a K40 everyday and have fired over 8000 rounds without a hitch. I also have the MK40 and K9. Love all three . The only thing I would change is to trade the blued K40 for a stainless.
Old November 24, 2004, 08:28 PM   #10
JCM298

I've had a Mk9 for about a year. It's heavier than the model you are interested in getting. I have a few buddies that carry a total of three different models and they all like them.

I like mine but since I have a Smith 340SC, I seldom carry it because of the weight. It is accurate and fires all types of ammo with no problem,

John
Old November 24, 2004, 08:58 PM   #11
Indy_SIG

I really like my PM9. I've probably got close to 500 rounds through it so far and it hasn't failed once. In reference to Tamara's post above, one of the headaches of such a small gun (Kahr or anyone else) is reassembly. Even if you do it correctly, the gun is not the easiest to put back together. I also have a MK9 (elite 98) that I've also had great luck with.

I sell personal protection handguns in Indiana and the new PM9's have been very popular. Reassembly has been the only thing anyone has complained about. Given what it is, it seems to be the best of its breed right now.
Old November 24, 2004, 11:47 PM   #12
9x19

Mine's a stainless K9 and although the trigger return is longer than my Glock's its action is close enough to be well liked.

Their P9 is quite close to the slim, single stack vision many Glock lovers moan for...
Old November 25, 2004, 10:53 AM   #13
OBIWAN

Some of the P series guns have been problematic.

I had one that made three trips back to Kahr before they replaced it.

I base my initial statement on remarks from one of their techs...not just my experience.
Old November 25, 2004, 07:39 PM   #14
denfoote

MK9 Elite 98

I have an MK9 that is currently in the shop for a broken extractor. I bought it used, so I have no idea how many rounds went through it before it came my way!! That's why I'm not to upset with it!! Other than that it has digested and fired everything I have cared to feed it, except EVIL Wolf, of course!!
Arizona: Flush the Johns!!!
Old November 26, 2004, 03:02 AM   #15
SIGLOCKAUR

I have an older MK40 that has been perfect. It is one of my would never sell it guns. It is a heavy little son of a gun though. But with the .40 caliber that's a good thing. I've read of some problems with the PM-9's. It's a shame because it seems to be about the perfect pocket gun. I think they are too expensive personally. Polymer guns are cheaper to make yet they are as expensive as the steel guns. If I got one f the polymer guns it would definately be a 9mm. Eeven with my all metal MK40 the recoil is stout. Wouldn't want to shoot the little polymer .40.
Old November 28, 2004, 06:36 PM   #16
seb5

I carried a polymer S.S. .40 for awhile. It always worked and was flat and accurate. I just missed my j-frames. That and it recoiled heavily. I liked the idea that the trigger resembled the issued Glock in application. After almost 15 years I just got comfortable with the Centennials I suppose.
Old November 30, 2004, 02:29 PM   #17
2002gti

shot the pm9 for the first time today....

this little piece is awesome. i knew the trigger was good but it really shows itself when it comes to accuracy. not a bobble running through 150 rounds - 50 each of 115 fmj, 115 silvertips, and 124 hydrashock. i cant say enough for these little gems.
Old December 1, 2004, 12:47 AM   #18
scromp

I have a P9 Covert and it's fantastic. Comfortable, accurate, reliable. While I have my favorite shooting guns, I have yet to find anything else I'd prefer for CCW.
Old December 1, 2004, 12:54 AM   #19
JackDRipper

I have both the PM9 and PM40 and carry one every day. After the 200 round break in period they have been great and 100%. Over 800 round in the 9 and over 650 in the 40. They are true front pocket pistols in a Fist #5 kydex holster.
JR

Old December 2, 2004, 10:10 PM   #20
glhman

Thanks to all

I wanted to thank all of you that responded to my query. I beleive that my decision has been made. I like the feel of the PM9 and yes it will fit into a pocket with ease. All that remains now is to convince the store that the price is to high ($ 650 I think) or convince myself that you get what you pay for.
Old December 3, 2004, 12:07 AM   #21
2002gti

buy a used one

and save a couple hundred.
Old March 15, 2005, 02:22 AM   #22
weldonjr2001

"The only time folks do bring them in is when they've reassembled them with the recoil assembly in backwards (which completely ties the gun up."

I represent that!

But I only did it once.
Old March 15, 2005, 06:23 AM   #23
denfoote

Just a short update.

My MK9 has been back from the shop for about a month now. I put another 200 rounds through it just to be sure of it's relyability. Been perfect, so far!!
My gunsmith surmised that the previous owner had the annoying (to a gunsmith, that is) habit of chambering a round by hand, then releasing the slide. As some of you know, this can be kinda hard on an extractor!! More so, if the case just happened to be steel!!
Arizona: Flush the Johns!!!
Old March 15, 2005, 06:26 AM   #24
kkramer673

I've had a P9 for a year or so, and it's completely reliable, and very concealable. Excellent choice for a CCW.
Old March 15, 2005, 10:44 AM   #25
CougarRed

A used Kahr K9 Elite 98 was my first 9mm, and I liked it so much, I bought another Kahr for pocket carry. Both are flawless. In fact, until last week, they were the only 9mm guns I owned.

I decided to get the P9 Covert instead of the PM9. The Covert only weighs one oz more than the PM9. It has the same grip, but the slide and barrel are a little less than an inch longer than the PM9. The only other difference is the recoil set up. The P9 Covert uses the traditional recoil method, whereas the PM9 uses the Seecamp method.

I find the extra length in the barrel and slide does not impede concealment, but does provide a longer sight plane for better accuracy, and a longer barrel for better muzzle velocity.

And you can usually find new P9 Coverts for $50+ less than PM9s.

If you get a PM9 or a P9 Covert, consider an AGrip or Handall Jr. grip sleeve. I acutally put an AGrip over the Handall Jr., and it works great to soften recoil.