The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 18, 2013, 06:30 PM   #1
Darker Loaf

The SIG MPX-C

I've always been interested in pistol caliber carbines. I don't shoot much .22 LR these days, as I've had years of bitter resentment build on guns that didn't run or work in the .22 LR semi-auto department. I'm perfectly comfortable paying the 9mm price tag, when it comes to semi-auto rifle shooting, since the majority of my pistol shooting is 9mm anyway. Owning virtually 1 caliber sure makes life simple [really, I'm more like 12 gauge, .22 LR, 9mm, and .223/5.56--but that's pretty simple, no?].

NOTE: Don't get me wrong, I don't hate on the caliber itself. I grew up on .22 LR, and still own some .22 LR pieces. I just have a love-hate relationship.

Anyway, I'm really interested in Sig's MPX-C, the civilian version of their new sub gun: http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProdu...sig-mpx-c.aspx

It looks pretty awesome, though there's no MSRP listed, and really, with my luck, I should never touch a new production gun. Anybody have any news, as far as reliability reports on any version of this gun?

I just love that it has an integral suppressor baffle system ready to go. I sorta just want this gun on principle. I'm also fairly sure it'd be both light-weight and ambidextrous, also earning the gun many points in my book. But I always have misgivings for unproven systems and magazines.
Old March 18, 2013, 07:39 PM   #2
Technosavant

To my knowledge they won't be out on the market until mid-late summer (the class 3 SOT I was using for my recent suppressor purchase told me he was told sometime in August), so any reliability reports will be incomplete at best (and reliant on pre-production units).

It looks like a very interesting gun for those who want a pistol caliber carbine with the ability to add a suppressor without adding length. I'm rather intrigued by it myself. It won't be cheap, but it won't be unreasonably priced either (around $2000 for the gun with an optic, less than $200 for the suppressor sleeve), but it will be a while before I can really take the plunge on one.
Old March 18, 2013, 10:04 PM   #3
Darker Loaf

$2000 MSRP is not that bad. I mean, it's bad, but I usually am able to score stuff under MSRP, even newer products. I figured nobody would have their grubby mitts on one, but I'm pretty interested in it, at least enough to ask.

If the sleeve only costs $200, that's some cost advantage there, too. Also, since the sleeve would be the registered NFA part (I'm assuming here) and removable, it would make the whole system pretty easily serviceable. Also, having a 5" or 6" internal barrel would mean if suppressed, the bullets wouldn't be super-sonic if they are 147 grainers, anyway.

I suppose baffle strikes would be a pain to fix though, huh?

Last edited by Darker Loaf; March 19, 2013 at 01:46 AM.
Old March 19, 2013, 09:26 AM   #4
Technosavant

If you're getting baffle strikes with that thing you've got a problem with the barrel or the ammo.

The sleeve had really better come in under $200... while it's the NFA item, it's a very very simple piece to make, and they're already getting into the customers' wallets pretty nicely on the firearm itself. Sig also tends to be pretty proud of their magazines, so I'd expect MPX mags to run at least $50 each.

I wouldn't mind a .40S&W model (with 180gr ammo it should stay subsonic). I would really like a .45ACP one, but I don't know if it's even possible to make a gas-op subgun out of .45ACP. Just may not be enough pressure there to make it cycle properly.