The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 3, 2012, 12:59 PM   #1
gizmo688

Vivitar Spotting Scope

I'm changing jobs, so I have to use all my corporate credit card rewards points. AMEX offers a Vivitar 20-60X60 spotting scope with the stand and case.

My question: Is this so crappy that I shouldn't waste points on it, or is it decent enough that it will serve my needs for bench shooting out to ~200 yards? I haven't been able to find any legitimate reviews online.
Old August 9, 2012, 07:51 PM   #2
gizmo688

I'll give this a bump and then let it die in peace. Has anyone ever used any Vivitar products?
Old August 9, 2012, 08:00 PM   #3
10-96

I was kinda hoping for some kind of feedback too. Vivitar is just not a well known name brand in sporting/shooting optics. My only dealing with them was a Vivitar 110 camera with a built in flash... and that was from the 1970's.

I think there may be meaning in the silence.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old August 9, 2012, 08:20 PM   #4
Creeper

Well... if you have to use your points...

Chances are it's the same entry level scope they sell at WalMart for $75 bucks. Like most of the sub $100 scopes, the Chinese glass and general construction is as you'd expect, and the tripod is worth nearly nothing... but it's better than no spotting scope at all. Kind of "damning with faint praise" huh?
Right up near the top of the $100 mark are some Bushnell, Tasco and Celestron scopes that, even though still entry level, are actually pretty decent.

If it's just a range scope that will get beat up and used by everybody... what the hell, right? Keep the premium scope stashed for more important uses.

Cheers,
C
Old August 15, 2012, 01:22 PM   #5
rebs

anyone have a Simmons spotting scope ?
Old August 16, 2012, 08:11 PM   #6
Te Anau

Dont know about their spotting scopes,but the Vivitar binoculars (7X35) I tried a while back were absolutely horrible!
Old August 17, 2012, 07:30 PM   #7
gizmo688

Quote:
Dont know about their spotting scopes,but the Vivitar binoculars (7X35) I tried a while back were absolutely horrible!
That pretty much settles it. I'll find something less crappy to use my points on. Thanks for all the input.
Old August 17, 2012, 08:28 PM   #8
RLWII

While I have never used a Vivitar scope, there was a time when Vivitar made some very good camera lenses. I still have some of my Nikon equipment and one of my favorite lenses is a Vivitar 135mm. Not long ago there was a discussion on here about the less expensive (walmart) spotting scopes. I have a Bushnell that is ideal for my needs. I have no complaints with the scope itself, just the crappy tripod that it came with.