The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 25, 2012, 06:10 PM   #26
Gdawgs

There are a few false statements above. Most new dies will be marked for both 38 Sp and 357 mag. Same goes for 44 Sp/44mag. Such as these http://www.midwayusa.com/product/418...ial-357-magnum
So you can reload either with the same set of dies.

As far as die adjusment goes, the first die(resizer) does not need to be adjusted going between 38 and 357. Once that's set you leave it.

For the second die(expander), the expander plug needs to be raised up higher for 357, or lowered for 38. Same with the third stage (seater/crimper). But as others have mentioned, you can setup the 2nd and 3rd dies for 38sp, then use a spacer/washer to raise the two dies up so you don't have to readjust for 357.

Does that clear things up?
Old October 25, 2012, 06:49 PM   #27
billcarey

Lyman multi delux die sets for me. I like the m-die and the two seaters for round nose or flat nose. Recent sets have the small rings (with set screw) that fit between dies on turret heads. Old die sets have a split ring that is larger diameter and not as user friendly on turrets.

bc
Old October 25, 2012, 11:01 PM   #28
davery25

Gdawgs that does clear things up, thanks for that. Do you have any clue if the Lee 4-die set has the spacers included. Otherwise how precise would it need to be? Could i just find a spacer round the house and use that?

Cheers
Old October 25, 2012, 11:34 PM   #29
zxcvbob

Quote:
Gdawgs that does clear things up, thanks for that. Do you have any clue if the Lee 4-die set has the spacers included. Otherwise how precise would it need to be? Could i just find a spacer round the house and use that?
I found an aluminum spacer in an old hard disk drive that I took apart (between the platters) that was perfect for a 38/357 shim. I have used it. But it's actually pretty easy to readjust the dies once you get used to doing it, so I don't use the spacer very often.
Old October 26, 2012, 12:05 AM   #30
Sport45

How often do you switch between loading the two cartridges? If I ever had a spacer I misplaced it a long time ago. From your setting for loading .38 special just back the seat/crimp die out two full turns and you will be very close to where you need to be for .357mag. I always make a few fine adjustments anyway and wouldn't count on a washer putting me spot on.

The difference in length between the two cases is 0.135" if all are trimmed uniformly. The die is threaded at 14 turns per inch.

0.135" x 14 tpi = 1.89 turns.

After backing the die out 2 turns you will be running it back about 1/10 of a turn for fine adjustments.

An easier way is to start with the die and seating stem backed way out. Put a previously loaded cartridge of the type you want to load on the ram and raise it to the top. Screw the die body in until it firmly contacts the top of the case. Snug down the lock ring. Screw the seating stem down until it firmly contacts the top of the bullet. Done.

I have a dummy cartridge made up for just about everything I load and I use them for this purpose.

Last edited by Sport45; October 26, 2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old October 26, 2012, 07:15 AM   #31
Gdawgs

I don't know if any of the sets come with spacers. I personally don't use spacers. I bought a separate set of dies. There is a reloading store near Minneapolis that I get to every now and then. They have a nice selection of used dies. So I always check those out when I go there. I picked up a nice set of old Lyman 38Sp dies for less than $10. I also bought a nice set of Hornady 44 Sp dies there.