The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 16, 2011, 07:43 PM   #101
BillCA

"Best" is a question begging term. Best for what?

There are lots of pistol and shotgun powders out there that work just fine for almost any handgun caliber. If you're just reloading a mid-range (velocity) load almost any of the brands mentioned will work. With that said...

Some powders work better than others in certain caliber/cartridge combinations. If you're trying to eek out the best accuracy or the best velocity you're likely to find different powders work better than a one-size-fits-all powder.

The major concern with faster burning powders is while they are economical because of the smaller charge weights, it can be more difficult to see if you have double-charged a case during reloading. Using a powder who's typical charge fills half the case (or more) means it'll be visibly obvious if you double-charge the case.

By the way... for those who have old powders laying about that you suspect have gone bad, spread the powder out over your lawn or flower beds, then water. The plants will thank you for the nitrogen compounds.
Old August 16, 2011, 10:59 PM   #102
Edward429451

I read it as what is the most versatile. I would have to say Unique because I have loaded it in pistol, rifle, and shotgun rounds. Being into big bore pistols I would also have to recognize 2400 as being very versatile also.
Old August 17, 2011, 09:33 PM   #103
Crankgrinder

i have found suitable loads for all of these using blue dot but havent tried them out so far