The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 29, 2010, 09:15 AM   #26
8shot357

I heard, don't drop the Colt on the ground, the S&Ws are good if you do.
Old October 29, 2010, 09:30 AM   #27
Sgt127

Quote:
Seems like Hip and Lip Grips are meant for smaller guns like my snubbies. Do you have any experience using one with a 4" Python? Right now, I have an old (35 years old) plain suede type holster with a metal clip for IWB carry. I don't know if I should replace it or not. Any suggestions where to look for a holster (IWB) for the Python and my Browning Hi Power?
The 60 is the perfect candidate for the Barami Hip Grips. Thats kind of cool it already has one.

I think you would be right, the Python is a big chunk of steel to carry hanging on a grip like that...

If the old suede holster hasn't started to fall apart yet, I would keep using it. The old suede clip holsters have positive and negative aspects.

They are very comfortable.
They are convenient.
They do a reasonable job of protecting the gun.

The down sides are:
They can "stick" in the holster for a slow draw.
The clip can let go and when you draw, you have to seperate the gun from the holster.
Virtually impossible to reholster without taking the holster out of your belt.

Holster technology has increased several fold since. As an example, look at a Milt Sparks Summer Special. Its an inside the pants holster, but, it hooks onto your belt with two loops. The mouth is reinforced so you can actually reholster it. Its smooth side in so the gun doesn't stick. depending on model, it has sight tracks so the front sight doesn't drag etc.

Revolver holsters are getting kind of hard to find these days. If you just want a simple holster for the Python or the High Power, I can make you one. Just PM me.
Old October 29, 2010, 03:43 PM   #28
Winchester_73

Talk about a close one...

I'm big time biased in favor of S&W but I have no problem with admitting how great the colt snubs are, cobra, agent and detective special. I've always wanted a cobra despite being a S&W fan because I like the colt grip angle, the 6th shot and the lightweight frame. The cobra itself is really an animal that S&W never offered, the closest being the model 37 as you have, or the model 12, a bigger K frame gun which offers the same thing as the cobra, in a bigger package. That being said, because the cobra is great, collectible, etc, I would not carry it very often. Thats were the value of the model 60 comes in. Its durable, and if its a 357, I would prefer that for carry out of the 3, although airweights are great for comfort. The 357 mag drops off in performance in a snub, but its a nice psyche thing to carry a 357, a peace of mind if you will. The model 37 is a bit of a inbetween road. Known as a Chief's Special Airweight, its a classic S&W design.

The truth about the 5 shots vs 6, is that, like I always say, if you fire 5 and need the 6th, you should consider running away. On the other hand, one shot can easily save your life. I lean more towards the 5 shots and run side, but having 6 in a small lightweight package is just about all you can ask for. The 5 shots however of the model 60 are special because of the +P rating. While the model 37 could be +P, IIRC, most model 37s are NOT +P rated. I know that the cobra is not.

If I needed a gun for carry: model 60
If I wanted the gun for the collection: cobra
If I wanted it for being a great S&W thats good for carry: model 37
Old October 29, 2010, 05:20 PM   #29
dgludwig

I believe the Cobra (or its sibling, the Agent) is the best light-weight, snubbie ever made for concealed carry duties; particularly if you intend to carry in a pocket or on the ankle. It weighs the same as a Smith Airweight J-frame; is fractionally bigger (Airweight cylinder size is 1.309 vs the Cobra's cylinder diameter @ 1.400-about 1/10th inch difference), yet carries 20% more ammunition (five vs six rounds). In terms of value, at this point in time and in the foreseeable future, the Colt will always fetch more money; probably lots more.
Advantages for the Smith J-frame includes +p ammunition suitability (at least for the newer models), parts availability and far better access to service shops.
Old October 30, 2010, 09:19 PM   #30
Inscrutable

Again, thanks everyone for their valuable input. I really do appreciate and value each of your opinions. All your comments will help me make an educated decision on which gun to carry as well as, if the time comes, which gun to unload first.

For now, I'm going to keep them all. I'm leaning towards carrying the Model 60 (.38 cal.) as my primary piece and alternating with the 4" Python and Browning Hi Power as my "strong" backups.

I just need to find a simple IWB holster for the 2 latter pieces.
Old October 30, 2010, 09:23 PM   #31
trigger happy

Colt Cobra is my top pick, but then I love mine
Old October 30, 2010, 10:53 PM   #32
Inscrutable

Seems like the leader of the 3 snubbies so far is the Colt Cobra for value, the S&W Model 60 for carry and the S&W Model 37 for concealability.

Does anyone know if the speed loader for a Colt Python will fit a Colt Cobra?
Where would be a good place to get a couple and how much do they cost?

Similarly, do they make a 5-shot speed loader and will the same 5-shot speed loader fit the S&W Models 37 and 60? Also, where can I pick up a pair and how much would they go for?

Thanks again guys.
Old October 31, 2010, 07:26 AM   #33
pythagorean

The Cobra cylinder is slimmer than the Python cylinder. You could use the same speed loader fit for the Agent.
Although the Cobra is more valuable it is still in first place for self defense in my opinion.
Old October 31, 2010, 12:19 PM   #34
dgludwig

Quote:
Does anyone know if the speed loader for a Colt Python will fit a Colt Cobra?
Where would be a good place to get a couple and how much do they cost?
Most speedloaders made for a Smith K-frame (i.e., the Model 10) will fit a Cobra cylinder perfectly. Also, HKS makes speedloaders specifically dedicated to the Colt Detective Special/Cobra/Agent/Police Positive,etc. revolvers, the model no. for same being "DS".
Old October 31, 2010, 07:19 PM   #35
Inscrutable

Thanks Pythagroean and dgludwig. Where would be a good place to get a couple of the 6-shot speedloaders and how much do they cost?

Can you comment on a 5-shot speedloader? Thank you.
Old October 31, 2010, 08:25 PM   #36
Sgt127

Here ya go...

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6...ct/SPEEDLOADER

Check your PM when ya get a chance.

Tags
.38 , colt , s&w , snub-nosed