The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 8, 2011, 12:52 PM   #1
Jayhawkhuntclub

Shooting through blind mesh?

I have no concerns about the affect on accuracy (not shooting past 100 yds). But should I have any other concerns about shooting through the mesh netting on my Double Bull? I'm taking my son out this weekend and he is shooting a 243. I assume it won't catch the thing on fire. Now I'd love for him to put it in one of the holes cut by broadheads and shoot with the muzzle outside. But he is 11 and I think that would just make it too complicated for him.

Any thoughts?
Old September 8, 2011, 01:00 PM   #2
Scorch

Contact with a foreign object will destabilize the bullet, and lighter bullets are affected more than heavy bullets. I have my doubts about accuracy with a rifle shooting through screen mesh, but hey, it's your hunt.
Old September 8, 2011, 01:04 PM   #3
jimbob86

Do not underestimate the cognitive powers of an 11 year old. He's (or She's!) able to follow simple instructions, no?
Old September 8, 2011, 06:19 PM   #4
Kreyzhorse

I would think it might throw off some accuracy as well. I really don't know how much it would impact it though. I'd hate to blow a shot or worse yet, wound a critter.

I'd suggest he shoot using the broadhead holes.
Old September 8, 2011, 06:30 PM   #5
buck460XVR

You are correct. Keep it simple. The mesh will not affect his accuracy and the only time I have heard of mesh starting on fire is with a muzzle loader. Have fun and good luck.
Old September 8, 2011, 07:22 PM   #6
PawPaw

I've got mesh on my box blind and solved that problem with my pocketknife. Cut a couple of slits in the mesh, and everything is good.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old September 8, 2011, 07:27 PM   #7
camper4lyfe

What concerns me most is that he's handling a gun but can't grasp the concept of putting the muzzle through a hole before firing? Perhaps he shouldn't be shooting yet?
Old September 8, 2011, 08:47 PM   #8
Hog Buster

If you were in a box blind with Plexiglas windows would you think it was OK for him to shoot thru them, or would you have him open the window?.....

There’s the right way and the wrong way, which are you teaching him?
Old September 8, 2011, 10:56 PM   #9
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Odds are it wouldn't affect anything to shoot through that mesh. Folks shoot through tape over a muzzle and do okay. The bit of gas ahead of the bullet would likely start a new hole in the mesh.

But the knife slits beforehand seem appropriate.
Old September 10, 2011, 02:51 AM   #10
bamaranger

sniper trick

Isn't that a pretty common sniper/DM trick, to put mesh or screen up to shield the view into a shooting position inside a room/bldg??
Old September 10, 2011, 11:24 AM   #11
buck460XVR

Quote:
Odds are it wouldn't affect anything to shoot through that mesh.
Exactly. Again, unless one is using a muzzleloader, it shouldn't catch fire. Only thing it will do is make an ugly hole in the mesh and accelerate the need to replace it. For this reason, if the screen is removable, I'd remove it for hunting with a rifle, but it is not necessary, nor is it dangerous or foolish.
Old September 19, 2011, 02:31 PM   #12
Jayhawkhuntclub

UPDATE: He got his deer last week. Took a nice 1 1/2 year old doe.

Camper4lyfe: Your post comes across as being both condescending and ignorant. It's not an issue of being able to "grasp a concept". The kid is a straight A student and gifted. But I was planning on him using a tripod for stability as it's his first deer and nerves are gauaranteed. It's not so simple as sticking the barrel out of the blind. The tripod, the hole (about 1" in diameter) and the deer have to be lined up. It's easier and more practical to shoot through the "shoot through netting". In any case, the shot was close and the tripod wasn't used. He did a great job.
Old September 19, 2011, 06:18 PM   #13
Elkins45

Quote:
Camper4lyfe: Your post comes across as being both condescending and ignorant. It's not an issue of being able to "grasp a concept". The kid is a straight A student and gifted. But I was planning on him using a tripod for stability as it's his first deer and nerves are gauaranteed. It's not so simple as sticking the barrel out of the blind.
You can't accuse someone of being ignorant when you contributed to their ignorance by not giving them all the information. He didn't have all this additional information about the tripod and having to line it up.

I thought exactly the same thing: if someone can't poke the barrel out of a hole in the mesh should they be trusted with a gun? Although it's really a moot point since I would have told you to just go ahead and shoot through the mesh anyway.
Old September 19, 2011, 08:00 PM   #14
rdmallory

Shooting blackbirds through a screened in window from your bedroom does not effect the accuracy of a 22LR. lever action.

Don't ask don't tell

Doug
Old September 19, 2011, 08:22 PM   #15
RaySendero

Shooting through blind mesh? Any thoughts?

With a high powered rifle - I think its a bad idea!

But why don't you try it for yourself before you show your son.
Old September 19, 2011, 09:01 PM   #16
Cowboy_mo

Every Manual with every ground blind I've owned

says DO NOT shoot a firearm through the mesh.

Yes, snipers shoot through mesh but they are far enough back from the mesh that any muzzle flash will NOT contact the mesh.

The blind companies recommend against shooting through the mesh because of the fire hazard.