The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 6, 2009, 10:48 AM   #1
Hardcase

Winchester 1894 Lever Swap

I inherited a couple of Winchester 94s from my father in law, a ~1973 saddle ring carbine and a ~1980 trapper. For some reason, he had the levers swapped between the rifles. Not a problem, except that the finish on the two are quite different, so there's a glaring difference between the receivers and the bottom of the action, the part at the bottom of the receiver where the levers enter the receiver...I'm not sure what that part is called.

Is it difficult to remove the lever and that bottom part of the receiver, take them apart and swap them back? Can anyone point me to a web site that has at least some pictures?

Thanks!
Old August 6, 2009, 03:45 PM   #2
Baba Louie

Go here and take a look... might be useful... might not

http://www.castbullet.com/misc/tdown.htm
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old August 6, 2009, 07:25 PM   #3
Tom2

Yea, don't even bother starting to mess with it till or unless you got some screwdrivers that fit the screw heads correctly. You may think the finish variation looks funky now but not nearly as much as a buggered set of screw heads. Fortunately buggered screw heads can be reworked up to a point to where they are just too far gone, but it is extra work that is unnecessary and to be avoided.
Old August 6, 2009, 09:11 PM   #4
Hardcase

I've got hollow ground screwdrivers, so I'm OK there, or at least as OK as I can be Thanks for the link BL, that was what I was looking for.
Old August 7, 2009, 09:42 PM   #5
Hardcase

Everything went just fine - it took about 20 minutes to do the swap. No scratches, no bunged up screws, no cursing. Easy-peasy.